Spike Camp

Swapping from IMR7828 to IMR7828SSC

Swapping from IMR7828 to IMR7828SSC
« on: April 07, 2018, 10:33:26 AM »
Cabelas down the road always has IMR7828SSC in stock but 7828 is hit or miss, most of the time it's miss. Got tired of trying to get the regular 7828 so ima try the SSC.

Loading for 257Wby. Most of the load data I come across says treat them the same but there's got to be some differences. Same burn rate but cut shorter.

Anybody else made this transition. If so did you notice any difference in pressure or velocity from the same powder charge?

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: Swapping from IMR7828 to IMR7828SSC
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 09:14:20 PM »
I've used both in my 270 & 300Wby. The two variants are virtually identical but my gut says the ssc variant burns a little faster because it always makes just slightly higher velocities for the same charge weight. It appears to be ever so slightly more consistent, as well.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 09:54:48 PM »
Good to hear, thanx dubyam. Aren't you around the Huntsville area?

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 10:21:55 PM »
I am. You local?
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 10:39:48 PM »
Yep. I'm in Madison. From Columbia Tennessee originally, been here about 5yrs. Where else we got for reloading supplies around here besides Cabelas?

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 09:18:00 AM »
Cool to know. There was another fellow here who lived out that way a number of years ago. We kept meaning to get together for lunch but my schedule then was so much travel it never happened. Wish I'd been more diligent about it.

As for loading supplies, here in Huntsville there isn't much. Larry's will sometimes get primers for a good price but haven't seen them there lately. If you dont mind a drive, Van's down in Cullman is good, with fair prices, and of course if you get to Chattanooga, Sportsman's Warehouse has great selection and pricing is better than most brick and mortar retail. Down in Birmingham you can go to Simmons Sporting Goods in Bessemer for loading supplies. There used to be a place over in Florence/the Shoals, but I'm not sure if they still have much.

I usually just order from Midsouth up in Clarksville when it comes to reloading supplies. Buy powder in the 8lb jug and it's still a good price even with hazmat. Powder Valley, Inc. is another good online vendor.

Jay W

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 09:58:44 PM »
I actually tested this very thing last fall in my Accumark .270 Roy. With long cut IMR7828 I get exceptional accuracy with 71gr @3225 fps. With IMR7828ssc, my powder charge was almost a full grain different to achieve the same velocity(can't remember +/- offhand without my notes).  Could be just a lot# variance as well. It shouldn't be an issue .