Spike Camp

Processing your own deer

danno50

• View Profile
Processing your own deer
« on: April 08, 2018, 07:01:11 AM »
I came across a Realtree hunting article that I thought might benefit young hunters, first time hunters, and might even serve as a refresher for the rest of us. Its basically a DIY guide to field dressing, skinning, quartering, and even a few cooking tips. It includes videos which serve as a good visual for first timers. How many of us have taken young kids to the hunting camp for their first time hunting experience? When the processing starts the first thing out of their mouths is "Gross" and some are squeamish. Exposing them through these videos may help lessen the Shock of seeing blood and guts for the first time.  My granddaughter was pretty upset her first time. If you think theres a better way of doing any of these things, you can let the kids know at the time how you do it.

https://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/4-step-deer-butchering-the-path-to-amazing-venison
DosEquisShooter

eford

• View Profile
Re: Processing your own deer
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 04:28:42 PM »
I’ve showed a few new hunters how to ski and debone their deer. They were so excited the “gross” went away fast. A decent understanding of the deer anatomy helped. We kind of made it into an animal science lesson. There is nothing like the excitement of finding the bullet, which I understand but have rarely done.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 05:23:37 PM »
Video would be a good guide for a first timer to look at before the time came.Even if they had someone experienced helping them they would have an idea of what was going on.Then after they have seen it done and helped a few times let them do it all.It will seem to take them forever and you will want to get hands on to help.You only learn by doing.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 07:43:13 PM »
A friend of mine says the only way you learn something is to learn it.LMAO.Pretty much the ame thing Roger said.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 08:13:17 PM »
My nephew skinned and quartered his first by himself at age 10.Hooked the buck up on the gimbral and winched him up with the boat winch and went to work.We were out there forever it seemed.I had to slap several others hands away when they decided to help and speed up the process.lol.He did a good job and was proud of himself.He is verry fast now and tells me to get out of the way and have a quick beer while he skins mine for me.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 11:56:45 AM »
My son and I have been our own butchers for close to 25 years, ever since my brother-in-law in Texas taught us his DIY method on whitetails.  One key to faster meat work is to skin 'em in the field while they're warm -- skin peels right off with a little elbow grease.  Getting the hide off cools the carcass down in a flash, too. Then, we game bag 'em for transport to keep the meat clean.

I should mention, for the field work, we hang our deer upside down using a pulley and a gambrel ... just find a stout tree, hoist 'em up and get to work.  Hanging just makes it easier to do everything -- and, yes, that includes gutting -- and keeps the carcass out of the dirt, leaves, etc.

Most butchers here in SE Wisconsin are getting $90-100 to cut up a deer.  I'd rather keep my money in my pocket, and know for certain it's my venison in the freezer.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 12:03:50 PM by Badgerland Hunter »
Roy was a genius.  Period.

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 01:35:49 AM »
We kill between 3-5 deer a year some years more and a couple years less. Either way I cannot spend $80-$100 per deer. We all get into it when I start cutting up deer. We eat more deer meat than beef.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member