Spike Camp

Recognizable?

Re: Recognizable?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 10:03:48 AM »
Savage has been making a scout rifle for years. I gave mine to my son  probably 10 years ago.   Ruger makes one, too . A couple of scope manufacturers  make specific long eye relief scopes for this application.   :)

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 10:32:28 AM »
Musician, the Jeff Cooper Scout Rifle article was an excellent read, loaded with some very insightful information. Thanks for posting.   
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 12:32:48 PM »
Did you give Weatherby a call and ask about it, it'd be interesting to see what they have to say.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 12:58:24 PM »
you can tell it is a stainless synthetic made around 1995-1999. I do remember weatherby offered it about the same time frame as the stainless mark v was in production.
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2018, 01:45:43 PM »
Very cool gun, does it come with a gift certificate for shoulder surgery.........lol
I can only imagine how that bad boy would kick with a 20" barrel in 300 Weatherby Mag, that explains the forward scope  ;)

Terry
Ontario,Canada........yours to discover

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 02:35:34 PM »
I must fix my earlier statement. I do know there are scout rifles made by various makers. But I never knew Weatherby made one.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 02:55:05 PM »
Very cool gun, does it come with a gift certificate for shoulder surgery.........lol
I can only imagine how that bad boy would kick with a 20" barrel in 300 Weatherby Mag, that explains the forward scope  ;) 
Especially with heavy for caliber bullets!   :)

Terry

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 03:03:22 PM »
I must fix my earlier statement. I do know there are scout rifles made by various makers. But I never knew Weatherby made one.

X2
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

Marishka

• Cancelled bear hunt so I could get this
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2018, 06:54:52 AM »
I checked with Weatherby on this and it appears this Scout was not produced my Weatherby but is modified to make it into a Scout. Weatherby also advised that they would not have used that 20" barrel configuration with the .300 Weatherby. In any event, it makes a nice addition to my collection and, if anyone is interested, the serial number is SW002275. And, as I reconfigure to shooting on my left side - due to my eye issue - I will shoot it and report back on the results. Hopefully, it performs well as it would make a perfect backup rifle due to its short barrel and quick acquisition lay out.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2018, 08:07:48 AM »
Be very careful of the whopping recoil from this rifle, even though your shooting from the left side. Could there be a chance of ocular damage to the right eye from the recoil?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 08:09:46 AM by danno50 »
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2018, 11:28:03 AM »
Be very careful of the whopping recoil from this rifle, even though your shooting from the left side. Could there be a chance of ocular damage to the right eye from the recoil?

I wonder if this rifle would be a candidate for Reduced Recoil Loads?  Still be a good up close camp gun.
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild