Spike Camp

Recognizable?

Marishka

• Cancelled bear hunt so I could get this
    • View Profile
Recognizable?
« on: April 08, 2018, 09:04:22 AM »
This is a photo of my most recent Weatherby acquisition. It is a Mk V with a 20" barrel. I was not aware of these before I spotted this on Gunbroker. It is a Weatherby MkV Scout in .300 Weatherby. Who of all of you were aware of this model?
NRA Endowment
MkV 22-250
MkV 270 + 2 270 wby stainls
MkV 308
MkV 270-300 Wby
MkV Alas 375 H&H
MkV 257 Wby fluted stainls barrel
MkV 7mm Wby stainls UL
MkV 300 Wby stainls x 2
MkV 30-378 Wby
MkV 340 Wby
MkV 375 Wby x 2
MkV 378 Wby
MkV 416 Wby
1899 Ithaca Hammerless
Guarini OU
Orion OU
M1 Carbine wa

Re: Recognizable?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 09:25:53 AM »
I would recommend ear plugs and ear muffs with that one. Would be very impressive to see at night.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 11:05:43 AM »
Cool.Different for sure.At least you don't have to worry about getting a scope eye. ;D
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Stacy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 11:08:48 AM »
I did not know those existed. Pretty interesting rifle. 

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 01:26:01 PM »
That's got to be a rare one.
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 02:06:19 PM »
+1
What's the skinny on that scope set-up? Never seen one way out there brfore. No scope eye is right.
Come and take it.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 02:35:15 PM »
That's cool. I didn't know they ever made a scout rifle.
Aussie gun nut.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 03:16:16 PM »
Sharp looking rifle, would be easy to maneuver in a deer blind and the front sight is still installed.  Never seen a scope mounted that way, but a wild guess would be, its a handgun scope with long eye relief. Wonder if that would even work?
DosEquisShooter

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 07:55:57 PM »
Cool.Different for sure.At least you don't have to worry about getting a scope eye. ;D

This brought on a good chuckle
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

Marishka

• Cancelled bear hunt so I could get this
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 06:01:32 AM »
I've asked a number of people about the forward mounted scope and was advised that it permits faster target acquisition.
And, I had no idea they existed either until I saw this one. If any from Weatherby are out there perhaps they can fill us in on the Scout.
NRA Endowment
MkV 22-250
MkV 270 + 2 270 wby stainls
MkV 308
MkV 270-300 Wby
MkV Alas 375 H&H
MkV 257 Wby fluted stainls barrel
MkV 7mm Wby stainls UL
MkV 300 Wby stainls x 2
MkV 30-378 Wby
MkV 340 Wby
MkV 375 Wby x 2
MkV 378 Wby
MkV 416 Wby
1899 Ithaca Hammerless
Guarini OU
Orion OU
M1 Carbine wa

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 06:32:26 AM »
I have seen lots of rifles with scopes mounted in this manner.Lots of guides that do dangerous game hunts have them set up like Marishka's rifle.

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 06:35:39 AM »
45-70

Remember 10534

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 06:37:59 AM »
Another

Remember 10534

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 07:32:46 AM »
Dano is right - this sort of forward mounted scope generally is done using a handgun scope. It's a lower power solution (usually a 1-N or 2-N scope, with N being anywhere from 4-8). Supposed to be faster acquisition, but I've never used one long enough to get really comfortable with the system. For something like a true scout rifle, I'd be far more inclined to go with a very high end peep sight, as those are extremely fast acquisition and offer good performance at dangerous game ranges. Some people swear by the scout setup, though, so maybe I'm just not giving enough time to working with this design.

I can't imagine the fireball that 20" barrel makes with a 300Wby round! Shooting it at dusk would be some kind of 'enlightening' I'd guess.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 10:51:06 AM »
"Scout" rifles have been around for as long as pistol scopes, long eye relief scopes have.  As a kid, I saw the articles in the gun mags.  Back then it was usually a Bushnell Phantom pistol scope, and you had to get a gunsmith to drill and tap the barrel for the mounting system.  They were usually done on Winchester 94's and Remington Model 600/660's.  Colonel Jeff Cooper laid down the "official" as he saw it, attributes for the "Scout" rifle maybe thirty years ago.  Tikka came out with a specific Scout rifle, and a custom maker, Clifton Arms also did.  They were very pricey.  Savage has been offering a Scout model for a couple of years.  Several companies offer scope rails for Marlin Lever guns, that use the existing scope base holes, and extend forward to use the rear sight dovetail.  With these, you can have a sighted in forward mounted scope with quick detach rings, a normal mounted scope with quick detach rings for load development, and they usually offer a flip up ghost ring rear sight, for when all else fails.  Another company offers scout rails to mount to the rear sights of Mosin Nagants, and military Mausers.  I converted a Remington 241 to scout, an FN Mauser 98 in .30-06 with a seventeen or so inch barrel that is absolutely vicious to shoot, two Mosin Nagants, and a Wild West Marlin .45-70.  That Weatherby Scout should also be vicious to shoot.  MM

http://jeffcoopersscoutrifles.blogspot.com/

https://www.xssights.com/Scope_Mounts_pr-8196.aspx