Spike Camp

Some Game Cam Pics

DW5

• View Profile
Some Game Cam Pics
« on: April 09, 2018, 02:33:11 PM »
I changed out some SD cards when I was down at my hill country place last weekend. Figured I'd post a few pics. I still have 3 or 4 more cards to go through, I'll post some more pics here if I find anything worth posting. Deer season will be here before we know it!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

Re: Some Game Cam Pics
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 02:43:08 PM »
Cool!  :D

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 02:45:39 PM »
Cows knocked this cam off it's tree and drug it about 15ft away... still got a few pics. Browning Game Cams are solid. Hardly ever see coyotes in the day time at this place.

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 03:04:30 PM »
Seeing what is typically a night time critter in the day makes me worry about rabies.  I shot a rabid raccoon in the middle of the day with the deputy's gun when she knew she was a lousy shot.  We never told I made the shot with her Berretta 9mm.  :D

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 03:32:08 PM »
Coyotes are less nocturnal than you might think.  I've seen a dozen or more out during the middle of the day, more than an hour and a half away from sunrise/sunset.  Took a nice blonde yote several years ago just about 1030a.  Just cutting through the woods, nose to the ground, unaware he was about to meet a 220gr flat-point from a 350RemMag.  Knocked him in the dirt.

Looks like there are two yotes in the game cam pic, one blurry one in the middle, and one just entering the right hand side.  I suspect they're out looking for a snack.

I'm kind of surprised to see your bucks haven't shed their antlers by mid-March, too.  Ours are all pretty well dropped by now around here.  Regrowth won't be long starting now, either.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 03:34:40 PM »
Thanks for the Picts.Looks like ole Wylie is definetly on the hunt and not just slinking through.Gotta love those low feeders for filling.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 03:39:45 PM »
Coyotes are less nocturnal than you might think.  I've seen a dozen or more out during the middle of the day, more than an hour and a half away from sunrise/sunset.  Took a nice blonde yote several years ago just about 1030a.  Just cutting through the woods, nose to the ground, unaware he was about to meet a 220gr flat-point from a 350RemMag.  Knocked him in the dirt.

Looks like there are two yotes in the game cam pic, one blurry one in the middle, and one just entering the right hand side.  I suspect they're out looking for a snack.
I'm kind of surprised to see your bucks haven't shed their antlers by mid-March, too.  Ours are all pretty well dropped by now around here.  Regrowth won't be long starting now, either.

I was going by his saying you hardly ever see them in daylight.   ;D

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 04:43:42 PM »
The low feeders are WAY easier to fill. Iím in the process of slowly switching over to the exclusively, these also hold twice as much corn as a normal 300lbs feeder, which makes it way easier to feed the place year round.

As far as the day time coyotes, I have seen them several times late morning driving into town in the open fields 8-10 miles away from our place. But in the 10+ years Iíve hunted this place Iíve only seen maybe 2 on it in the day time. Just a whole lot more cover for them to hide in around our place. Iíve never once personally seen one slipping through while sitting in a stand on this property. I hear them making roll call just about every night I pig hunt though.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 05:04:11 PM »

It is a little late for him to have not shed for sure. Usually by mid March most all the non yearlings have dropped their antlers around there if the game cams are reliable sources.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 07:54:23 AM »
Here are a few more. A small buck, a large boar and a couple of ring tailed bandits thinking they are getting away with their crime scot-free no doubt. Still have a couple of cards left to go through. Hopefully I have a Bigfoot or a Chupacabra on one of them.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 08:15:07 AM »
A couple more from the same camera as above. 1- a young buck with a little bit of potential. Hope he survives the neighbors for a season or two longer. Pics 2 and 3 show the before and after images, from the game camera's perspective, of the first hunt video with the Equinox I posted about a month ago. The bright light in the background is from the Equinox in my stand. I suppose the game cam picks it up so brightly due to it having infrared capabilities as well. Kinda crazy to see how bright it really is. I know I have had someone point the thing at me 70 yards away on a dark night and I can barely make out a tiny reddish dot from where the person was, but only b/c I knew where to be looking. They say the animals can see it pretty well too, but I have yet to come close to getting busted. I think that may have a lot to do with using it from the enclosed confines of a stand. 

Edit** I wonder if the game cam being there for so long and also taking infrared pics at night every time the animals come around helps condition them to the presence of the tiny light. It's coming from a different location with the Equinox and the night vision scope now but IDK...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 08:18:02 AM by DW5 »

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 06:18:06 PM »
Is that the same buck in the day & night pictures?  In the daylight pictures he looks like a shooter, not so much on the other pictures. Cool, thanks for sharing!

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 06:53:13 PM »
Different bucks. These 2 spots are maybe 1000-1200 yards apart but are separated by a Farm to Market road and for whatever reason it has always basically been 2 different herds of deer on the spots. We see deer cross the road every now and then but it really surprises me how distinct the sightings  and  game can pics are from one side to the other.

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 12:29:30 PM »
Great trail cam pictures..........thanks for sharing

Terry
Ontario,Canada........yours to discover

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 01:14:20 PM »
Last SD card for this round of card checking. Same location as first pics, just had two SD cards from there to check and erase.

Here is a coyote slipping through at night, a fox who has caught the attention of a doe, and another couple of doe who are very photogenic. Hopefully I can document the antler growth stages of a buck or two this spring/summer.