Spike Camp

Question regarding ammo

Question regarding ammo
« on: April 12, 2018, 07:24:43 AM »
I finally got my accugard out to shoot in my new scope and tested some rounds. The ones that grouped the best were the federal 165 boat tails and the regular old Remington core-lokt. This is a hunting gun and not a target gun so 300 yd and under. While they patterned in different sides of the bullseye, each had MOA groupings. Is there any reason I'm not considering by just shooting core-lokt for half the price?  Price isn't really a factor, but why would I choose federal. Is there anything I am not considering?  Thanks in advance!!

Re: Question regarding ammo
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 08:10:06 AM »
The Core Lokts have been killing game for a long time.One of the only guns I don't reload for is a 338 that loves 250 grain Core Lokt factory ammunition.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 08:16:28 AM »
It will largely depend on the game your hunting. If your hunting mostly medium size game, including hogs, the core-lokt's in SP and PSP in 150 to 180 grain will be fine in your 30-06. Cup and core bullets have worked for years and for thin skinned med. game(and hogs) the wonder bullets are not necessary. We all have preferences, bonded, copper, partitions whatever, but as long as the construction of the bullet is such that it mushrooms and stays together,(not fragment completely)you shouldn't have any problems. There are other cup and core bullets out there that are also inexpensive, do the same job, and may be more accurate in your rifle, but everyone looks for the most accurate load in their rifle. If moa is satisfactory, and it should be for most, as long as you don't extend your range, any of the brand names in cup and core bullets will  get the job done. I use the Hornady 180 grain SP Interlocks in my -06 and they always get the job done.

DosEquisShooter

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 10:36:30 AM »
I killed my last 6-point bull elk with a cheap Winchester Power Point 180 grain bullet (Wal-Mart ammo) with one shot at about 450 yards.

Shoot whatever is most accurate. Premium bullets are not required for most situations.

Most of these premium bullets have been developed over the last 20 years. A lot of hunting occurred before that.
JK

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 10:44:00 AM »
+1 on the Remington core-lokt ammo. I shoot it in my Vanguard Sporter 30.06 and it does well. Goes to show you don't always have to spend big bucks for decent performance, plus, I'm a cheap bastard anyway! Roger is right, they have taken a lot of deer for a long time. My Vanguard likes it better than Power Points.
Some like cologne, I like the smell of gunpowder.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 02:31:38 PM »
I am a real corelokt fan! As Terminator said "They have been killing game for years." They are a no fuss underated projectile. I started to use the 286 grain factory stuff for my 9.3x62 for pigs and other critters instead of reloading.
I also load the 150gr corelokt in my .308 and one of my 30-06's and they shoot great. I lucked on to 1000 projectiles that were going cheap. So it will feed those rifles for a while.
So I say go ahead and use them in your rifle. They will work just fine for you too.
Aussie gun nut.

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 09:03:32 AM »
Nothing wrong with Rem core-lokt's or Win PP's ,  many critters taken with both of them,  I use them at times.

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 09:29:34 AM »
 number of years ago. I was testing factory ammo for my browning bar 30-06. I had given up trying to find anything it liked that I was loading. But I did really like the Remington 180 gr. core-lokt SP. I shot 2 bucks with them and both were bang flops. The only reason I switched is because they were so hard to find. Tuns of PSP but no SP.
I would trust them 100%
Mark