Spike Camp

Trouble chambering amunition in 257 Weatherby Mark V Sporter

Trouble chambering amunition in 257 Weatherby Mark V Sporter
« on: April 14, 2018, 02:15:09 PM »
All:

New member and first time posting.  I just purchased a new 257 Weatherby Mark V Sporter.  It is a beautiful rifle and I was very much looking forward to getting it out to the range and trying it out.  I purchased a box of the Weatherby Select Plus Barnes 100 grain TTSX.  When I placed the shells in to the magazine and tried to chamber them the bolt would not close.  I was doing this in a slow movement... push the bolt forward slowly and then doing the same trying to push the bolt down slowly.  When I would do this the bolt would not close?   When I had the gunsmith where I bought the gun look at it.... he told me it was a common Weatherby issue.  He told me to push the bolt forward and down quick and firm instead of slow and easy.  I tried it and it worked.  My concern is I have never had to do this with a bolt action before with any of the guns I have ever owned.  He told me it was due to the design of the Weatherby ammo.  Has anyone had this issue before?  I am very skeptical with his solution.  This doesn't seem to me like it would be good for the gun or the ammo?  Anyone?

Thanks

Jay

257 Shooter

• 257 Shooter
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble chambering amunition in 257 Weatherby Mark V Sporter
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 05:14:27 PM »
To say this has to do with the design of Weatherby ammunition is nonsense. It's not possible to exactly disagnose the problem via internet.

The extractor has to snap into the extractor groove in the cartridge case. This takes a little forward force when chambering a cartridge. Usually an issue like this is brass not sized properly but you mentioned using factory ammo and that's not likely. A tight chamber causes it. That's possible but factory rifles are inspected. The easiest thing is to do try another box of ammunition. Bolt action rifles do often chamber a round better when the bolt is worked a little faster.

Hopefully you get it figured out. Good luck.

I

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 05:49:31 PM »
I tried factory 110 grain Nosler Accubonds Weatherby Select Plus.  Same results as the Barnes 100 grain TTSX.  As long as I am not harming the gun in anyway I am okay.  I will just have to get used to being a little more aggressive when I chamber ammo.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 06:35:08 PM »
Are you feeding it from the magazine or setting it on top. If your not feeding from the magazine it could just be the extractor snapping into the extractor groove as 257 Shooter mentioned

It may help to clean and lightly oil the action and extractor
Mike

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 08:42:02 PM »
I'm feeding from the magazine.  I gave everything a very thorough cleaning.  Was thinking along the same lines but nothing improved after the cleaning. 

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 11:38:35 PM »
+1 to what 257Shooter said. I have a Ruger American 7mm-08 that is hard chambering. It does the exact same thing as your Mark V 257WBY-PA. Mine is with factory ammo and my reloads.

I figured out the extractor required a little force to get it to snap into the extractor groove. I thought maybe something was wrong with the extractor and one call to Ruger had a new one on the way. Installed a new one and same thing was happening so I just live with it.

Not ideal but it works, I just learned to chamber rounds and lock the bolt down in one motion.

ctw

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 06:09:42 AM »
   Work  that bolt like you mean it. When you chamber that cartridge do it with one solid motion. When you work the bolt slowly as you have said in your opening post, the shell will pop up ahead of the bolt from the magazine spring leaving it to be in a position where the bolt face will hit the head of the shell out of center pushing it out of alignment with the chamber.And welcome to the nation. ctw     

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 07:12:51 AM »
Thanks to all for all of the input.  I have lusted after the 257 Weatherby Magnum for years now and I am very excited to see how it works on paper and game.  The ballistics on this caliber are really pretty amazing. The chambering issue just caused me to worry that there could be something wrong that would need me to return the gun to Weatherby. It would be a big let down to have to do this after waiting so long to get one.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 08:02:46 AM »
A non-rifle issue? There is a "remote chance" of something that happens once in an eon or longer. Your scopes mounting screws may be protruding slightly into the rifle chamber causing closing problems. Checking your brass for scratches is the way to check that. Doesn't happen much anymore because of CNC machining, but the wrong mounts for the rifle (screws being to long or improperly placed) could still cause the problem. Just throwing it out there.   
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 08:08:13 AM »
Thanks Danno...... I will keep an eye for that. 

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 05:26:57 PM »
"Your scopes mounting screws may be protruding slightly into the rifle chamber causing closing problems"

This is the first thing I thought of as I read this post.Good call Dan

How does the bolt work without trying to cycle a round?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 05:28:34 PM by 224KING »
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 02:13:34 PM »
Thanks again for the responses.  I decided to drop my Weatherby off at a gunsmith that I trust.  Not the one where I bought the rifle.  He didn't agree with the other gunsmith that this was just a typical Weatherby issue.  He felt there was definitely something amiss.  I will let you know what he finds.

Jay

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 01:28:19 PM »
I wouldn't let anyone do any work on your rifle, because it may void the warranty.  If there is a problem, I would contact Weatherby and explain the problem, and Weatherby will fix the problem for you.....free of charge.  Their customer service is one if not the best in the industry. 

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 02:06:23 PM »
No.... I agree.  Any warranty work will be done by Weatherby.  If there is an issue with the scope mount screws being too deep ... etc...... I will take care of.  Anything else I will send back to Weatherby.  Thanks

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 05:09:34 AM »
In most base screw sets there is a long screw and a shorter screw for separate/thicker ends of the base.It is easy to put a longer screw into a place where the short screw should go.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.