Spike Camp

For you flintlock fans: The "Weatherby" of flintlocks, two hundred years ago?

I do not know if it "hit harder" than any others, but it sure was a beautiful rifle.  The video is of a fellow ordering a custom flintlock to be made "in the style" of those made by Jacob Dickert, a rifle maker some 220 or more years ago.  I myself am not into the flintlock thing, but it looks like a well made piece of art, that also happens to go boom.  I have seen many flintlocks from this era though, that ALL seem to be works of art, no matter who the builder was.  I think that the pride these builders took in their work, still shines over two centuries later.  When I was a kid, and saw Roy Weatherby showing one of his really snazzy looking Mark V's in the gun magazines, one could tell that he too, had an eye for beauty, flair, and craftsmanship, as well as performance.  You may have to highlight the link, and then go to it.  MM

PARA45

• View Profile
WOW, what a beauty!  Thanks for sharing! 

That is a beautiful flintlock!
Scott

Very nice. I built a flintlock from scratch many years ago that looks very similar, right down to the sunflower patchbox and star inlay on the cheek piece. If you have never shot one, you should try it - lot of fun. I hunted that rifle a few times and it was accurate and reliable, with fast ignition. Nowadays, it hangs on the wall in my family room.
Some like cologne, I like the smell of gunpowder.

Chris

• View Profile
I have been wanting to get into flintlocks. You would think as much as I am into muzzleloaders I would have a couple. I guess I have found many good deals on caplocks and not to many flintlocks. Or have been late showing up for the deals. Thanks for sharing.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

That is a beautiful rifle.I have never shot a flintlock.Maybe someday.Thanks for the video Mark.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Flintlocks really are a lot of fun to shoot. Here's a pix of the one I mentioned above. I built it from scratch (not one of those kits) when I was 14 years old, with no help whatsoever beyond some advice from a gunsmith. It took me a good six months. I cut and formed the patchbox and all the inlays from a sheet of brass. I'm still proud of this one, given that I was just a kid when I made it. It's a good shooter, although it's been years since I've shot it.

Looks great.That is quite an accomplishment at any age Tex.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Thanks Roger. That was also my first shot at doing a hand rubbed oil finish and it still looks pretty good 46 years later. If you ever need to finish/refinish a raw wood stock, it's still a good choice today.