Spike Camp

R. Lee Ermey

R. Lee Ermey
« on: April 16, 2018, 11:25:44 AM »
Some may or may not know but R. Lee Ermey passed away on Sunday, 15 April 2018 from complications of pneumonia.  He was a great man and spokesman for all our service members and gun owners and will be missed by many.  God bless you Gunny.  Semper Fi
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

Re: R. Lee Ermey
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 12:10:48 PM »
I saw that last night. Thats to bad.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 01:32:39 PM »
I didn't know about him until I saw him in FMJ, but I sure liked him in that, and all his rolls after that.  He was convincing. The industry has lost a good actor. It is too bad. I suspect that anyone who went to boot camp knew a Drill Sergeant like Gunnery Sergeant R.Lee Ermey. 
DosEquisShooter

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 01:51:25 PM »
About 40 years ago we lost John Wayne. He was an icon. R Lee Ermy was an icon too. Like The Duke, Gunney will not be forgotten.

He had a little-known role in Purple Hearts. He played a Marine gunnery sergeant, and he played it basically as the tactical version of Drill Instructor Hartman of Full Metal Jacket.

The Gunney will be missed. RIP Gunney.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:51:52 PM by eford »
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 02:35:24 PM »
A story I heard somewhere and always remembered about him:

He was not originally cast for his role in Full Metal Jacket. He was hired by the film to coach/teach the person who was cast for the role. When Stanley Kubrick saw him in action he got rid of the original actor and put R. Lee Ermey in the actual role.

Rest In Peace.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 03:01:29 PM »
He was a great Marine, spokesman for our 2nd Amendment, supporter of our gun rights, and he was outcast by the Hollywood pukes because of his conservative views.  St Pete needed another Marine to guard the gates of Heaven.   God bless you Gunny!
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 03:20:23 PM »
Rest in Peace Gunny!!!!
Doug

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 04:05:10 PM »
A real DI, a great Marine and a great person. Sad to see him go.
Semper Fidelis Gunny.
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 06:34:19 PM »
Saw him in first time in The Boys of Company C , then Purple Hearts , Full Metal Jacket , then a cheesy favorite of mine , The Seige of Firebase Gloria .  All good war movies .  He will be missed, Rest in Piece Gunny!
And on the 8th Day God created the .300 Weatherby and God saw the .300 Weatherby was good, and God divided the .300 Weatherby from the rest.

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 06:42:41 PM »
R.I.P. Gunny.
I injoyed him in evrything I seen him in. He had A great sense of Humor also.
Mark

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 01:07:50 PM »
A story I heard somewhere and always remembered about him:

He was not originally cast for his role in Full Metal Jacket. He was hired by the film to coach/teach the person who was cast for the role. When Stanley Kubrick saw him in action he got rid of the original actor and put R. Lee Ermey in the actual role.

Rest In Peace.

I saw an interview about that and Stanley Kubrick told him he wanted it to be real and Gunny said that's what you're going to get.  Even the actors were taken back by his character building one liners and all of them were his own lines that he made up.  He was a Marine's Marine and was a Marine for life.  God bless you Gunny.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 12:07:38 PM »
I thought that Siege of Firebase Gloria was a GREAT movie.  He also played a bad guy in a Steven Seagal  movie, but I am not sure which one.  He played a shady holy-roller preacher in the opening scene of an X-File episode, but was killed off right away.  I saw him at the NRA meeting in Houston a couple of years ago.  I wanted his autograph, but there were HUNDREDS of people in line ahead of me, so I passed.  I thought he was a super personality.  MM

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 12:58:23 PM »
Gunny was the real deal, for sure.
Come and take it.