Spike Camp

Linear Compensators

Linear Compensators
« on: April 18, 2018, 07:17:35 AM »
Thought some of ya'll who may want to tame perceived report of a rifle might find this of interest. For those who haven't seen them, linear comps direct muzzle blast and concussion forward, downrange, away from the shooter (and bystanders). Kind of the opposite of what a brake does out to the sides (LOUDER!). It's not any kind of a suppressor, so no stamp or anything like that. After a lot of looking around and reading reviews, I settled on the KVP linear comp from KAW Valley Precision. I'll post how it does after it arrives and I test it out (ordered it Monday, due here Friday). KAW Valley sells it for 55 bucks plus 10 bucks shipping, but I found a place out of Ohio called AIMsurplus.com that sells it for 40 bucks with free shipping. They ship USPS (usually a negative), but I'm impressed with the shipping status updates I am getting. Maybe USPS is finally improving. People say these comps really make a difference, especially with short barrels (I'm putting this on an AR with a 16 inch). Link below:
https://www.kawvalleyprecision.com/KVP-Linear-Compensator-p/kvp-linear-blk.htm
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 07:20:34 AM by texweatherby »
Some like cologne, I like the smell of gunpowder.

DW5

• View Profile
Re: Linear Compensators
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 09:31:49 AM »
Looking forward to your usage report!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 10:50:03 AM »
Yesiree, I will definitely post after using it. Hoping it arrives on time this Friday, although I have a bunch of fence out behind my place I am finally redoing and trying to get finished (Harvey tornado went right by and tore it up), so it may be next weekend, not this.

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 11:10:28 AM »
I have also been wondering how well they work Tex. I have an Ar pistol with a 9.2 inch barrel that could definetely benefit
from one. I use plugs and muffs to shoot it now.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 11:55:56 AM »
Well, this linear comp just arrived. The quality of it looks very good. I would use AIM Surplus again, as they shipped it out the day after I placed the order and I got it in two days. Hard to beat the $40 price (vs. $65 total directly from KAW Valley) too. I have to commend the US Postal Service for the first time ever - it arrived in less than 48 hours after shipping ground from Ohio to Texas. That's pretty good and I got accurate updates where it was the whole time. Can't wait to put it on and see how it does. I'll post as soon as I can do that.

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 08:45:27 AM »
Anything that works is a good thing,  assuming after many reviews it's decided it work's as intended I would like to see the expanding gas ports redirected in such a way to reduce muzzle rise. 

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 01:26:54 PM »
I was all set, gear packed, for a range trip today, then my main shooting buddy I was going with had to cancel. I'll test it and report back within the next week though, come hell or high water.

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 01:15:04 PM »
Well, I finally got time to get this comp out to the range today. I would say it does redirect blast and noise downrange noticeably, but not as much as I had hoped. It would have been nice to have another rifle with an A2 muzzle device or similar to make an A-B comparison. It went from really loud to slightly loud (real scientific terminology there). It does look really good on the rifle. I would still get it if I had to do over, it just doesn't tame perceived noise as much as some people say. Next time I get out, I hope to do that A-B comparison.

badsection

• Do or do not. There is no "try" Yoda, Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 02:00:19 PM »
Did it change your POI?   :)

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 08:57:36 PM »
My red dot did need to go up and left one click, but it may have needed that anyway. It may be that I'm just getting used to the rifle, but my groups are definitely smaller than in the past. Muzzle flash is longer than with an A2, without question.

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 08:02:06 AM »
Just a final note on these things. I came across a video where a guy uses a sound level meter to measure the difference from a bare muzzle. He measured (at ear position) approximately a 3 decibel drop in loudness (he provides actual numbers), which pretty much agrees with my "ear impression" of a noticeable, but just slight drop in loudness.
The video is at: