Spike Camp

Weatherby/Norma 300 Wby ammo -- field results, anyone?

Weatherby/Norma 300 Wby ammo -- field results, anyone?
« on: April 26, 2018, 12:29:51 PM »
Here's what I'm wondering:  I'd like to hear the field results from anyone shooting a 300 Wby using just plain vanilla Norma spitzers ... do the Norma bullets get the job done?

I'm getting back into the 300 Roy, and started checking out ammo prices.  I know the projectile drives the cost equation for Weatherby ammo, but HOLEE COW!  $60-$80 a box for the premium-bullet loads pinches the wallet, especially when one factors in range time.

The Wby. Norma loaded spitzers at around $33 a box are a LOT more reasonable.  However, one concern I have is cup and core separation at 300 Roy velocities and energy levels.  My primary hunting would be whitetails, with maybe an elk or hogs thrown in once in a while. [Yes, I know there are those who will bark that the 300 is too much for deer.]

Roy was a genius.  Period.

Re: Weatherby/Norma 300 Wby ammo -- field results, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 11:43:40 AM »
Wellllll, I think I have my answer from the symphony of crickets that ensued from my post.  That, or it was the proverbial dumb question.

I can only conclude that NO ONE is using the Weatherby's straight Norma spitzers as a hunting round.  And I further conclude that they must be just straight cup 'n core rounds that don't hold up on contact.

So, ummm ... thanks to everyone who didn't reply, I guess.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 03:35:10 PM »
I was going to reply to your post as I have that ammo to use in my .300 Wby. But I have not taken it out hunting to see how they perform. I too was hoping someone would of had some input on them as that is what I am going to use in mine for general purpose hunting.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 12:36:38 AM »
I have not used the 300 Wby norma spitzer ammo, as I reload, but I would not be afraid to use it hunting if the rifle liked it. I have shot a lot  of big game(whitetail,mule deer, bear, moose ,elk) with plain jane cup and core 180 gr bullets, in a 300 Win and 300 Wby, over the years, and never had a problem.

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 03:54:19 AM »
I let my neighbor use my .257 last year. He used the 100 grain spitzers on two deer. First one was a fairly large doe which he put a real good shot on and dropped it where she stood. The other deer, well, he shot low and knocked it down and then shot it high in the shoulder. With those shots it doesn’t matter what you were using its going to ruin a lot of meat. On the big doe we actually found the bullet. Mushroomed about 2.5x’s the original diameter and looked good. That shot the deer was close to straight on from him.
I am sure with the .300 being 180 grains it would perform very well on just about any animal.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 06:41:45 AM »
Sorry Badgerland I am a little late to the party but yes sir I have used the cheapest 180 and 165 gr spire point Weatherby ammo on everything from jack rabbits to coyotes to whitetails to mule deer to big Russian boars, 125 pound domestic hogs, Javelinas and even elk.  I have never had a single problem.  I am not one of those guys who digs around trying to recover my bullet so unless it was right there in the meat or hide where I could pluck it I could care less.  All I know is I shot the animals and they died.  98% where one shot kills including two bull elk. The other 2% was because I didn't do my part .  When I was a young man and got my first 257 and 300 I could not afford anything but the cheap stuff and a lot of times I couldn't afford that . I never shot " high quality" bullets or any of the premium stuff until I started reloading .  A gentlemen I hunted with, who never reloaded his entire life shot everything he hunted for 40+ years with 180 gr Norma Spitzers.  Deer, Elk, caribou, black bear , Barbary sheep , Dall ram . It didn't matter to him. He hunted with a German 300 WBY with a German 2 3/4 to 10 Imperial Scope with a dot reticle loaded with 180 gr Spitzers till the day he died and had complete and utter confidence in it ever time and everywhere we went .  I today still shoot the factory 180 Spitzers when I find them on sale or for a bargain. Texas Whitetails and NM Mulies have never known the difference.  As far as anyone barking about a 300 being to much gun for deer , I never had one single animal get up and bitch at me because I shot them with too much gun! 😂  How dead is dead?? Last time I checked the 300 used the same bullet as the 308 and 30-06 so just because we choose to get that same bullet there faster, harder with more energy we get crucified? I don't think so !! Tell em to move on down the road while you load your animal .. I love it !!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 06:25:27 AM by Elvis300 »
And on the 8th Day God created the .300 Weatherby and God saw the .300 Weatherby was good, and God divided the .300 Weatherby from the rest.

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 05:04:41 AM »
Thanks for chiming in, you guys!!

Good to hear the Norma spitzers get the job done, and do so across a broad range of animals.  I wasn't casting aspersions on Norma, BTW ... it's a fine company producing quality ammo.

Also, pleased to hear the Spire Points work as well.  I have a box of those I want to try, too.

Hey, Elvis ... you gotta warn me when you use lines like that -- "I never had one single animal get up and bitch at me because I shot them with too much gun!"  Darn near sprayed my computer with coffee!  LMAO!   ;D

Noted the comments on meat damage.  Yeah, in 30+ years of hunting, I've come to this conclusion on deer:  Most of the time, the deer are just not going to present THE perfect broadside position whereby one can slip a bullet neatly behind the shoulder and have it pass "cleanly" through both sets of ribs.  In my experience, some degree of quartering angle is almost always involved.  Off-shoulder damage or total destruction is almost a given.  I've stopped worrying about it.  To paraphrase Elvis300, dead is dead, and if we're honest, we give up a bit of front-shoulder grind meat for sausage.  Not being wasteful, just pragmatic.

Speaking of Norma ... I wonder why Weatherby corporate has never talked to to Norma about using their Oryx bullet in loaded ammo ... ?  I mean, I get that American hunters might be drawn more to Patitions, Barneseses, and such.  Just sayin' ... the Oryx seems to be a solid performer, and appears to be Norma's most popular bullet. Hmmmm.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 05:10:23 AM by Badgerland Hunter »