Spike Camp

scope problems

scope problems
« on: May 05, 2018, 04:38:32 PM »
I have a weatherby mark V in 340 weatherby.  I have a leupold vx6hd 3X18X44 scope mounted on it using warne bases and rings.  Several months ago i went to the range to break the rifle in.  I started shoot at 30 yards to get it on paper, then moved the target to 100 yards where the gun was shooting off of a 100 yard target.  At 100 yards i was a 12" off the paper and used all the adjustment in the scope it get within 8" of the center of target.  I called Leupold and the first thing the rep says is the gun is tapped crooked.  I said its possible but to me that is a long way to be off at 100 yards.  I sent the scope in to leupold and mounted a zeiss 3X9 conquest on the rifle.  To it to the range and within 5 shots i am dead center at 100 yards.  I get the scope back from leupold, mount the scope back on and head to the range.  At 30 yards i am 2 inches high and 1" to the right.  Shoot at 100 yards and i cant even hit the paper using a 100 yard standard rifle target.  Am i crazy thinking it should hit paper at 100 yards.  I don't understand why the leupold is so far off but the zeiss isn't.  I would appreciate any advice thanks.

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: scope problems
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 05:56:29 PM »
Leupold has major QC issues, IMO. I won't buy the brand, and this is just one more example why. I've seen this now over 20 times, with yours being the only one which isn't from someone I know and have hunted or shot with.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 07:02:35 PM »
It must be the QC from over there in the US. I have never struck a problem with any of the 20-30 Leupolds I have and have played with many more on mates rifles. Now that they are built here in Australia there has never been an issue. Or I am just lucky I guess lol
Aussie gun nut.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 07:48:44 PM »
Leupold saying the gun is tapped incorrectly seems strange. Seems they would question the bases being correct first.
I have a Conquest 3-9 it is a 1" tube
Didn't look up a Leupold VX6 HD, but l would think it would be 30mm. If it is you must have changed rings when you mounted the Zeiss?
If both are the same tube could the bell of the Leupold be hitting the barrel?
Mike

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 08:03:24 PM »
You are correct .257 the zeiss is a 1" tube.  I kept the same bases and switched out only the rings when swapping out scopes.  The leupold is a 30mm tube.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 04:18:02 AM »
Sounds like you might have found the culprit.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.