Spike Camp

Copper fouled barrels and it's removal

zonie

Copper fouled barrels and it's removal
« on: May 06, 2018, 10:21:42 AM »
I think I finally got Copper  removal down to a somewhat faster  removal method.   No doubt it's been done before or some type of it's variation.  Ran out of my favorite KG12 Copper remover solvent which I still like a lot , but it does have 2 down sides it's burnt orange in color and it beads up on patches it's not a good verifier to tell if copper is totally removed.   It's the only solvent I've found that actually eats copper when I tested a bunch of other copper removal solvents including bore tech elinimator, various others,  including straight janitor grade ammonia.  I've been using JB bore cleaner for a number of years and never really gave it my best shot,  relying more on chemical Removers and nylon brushes and copper/brass free rods and tips to eliminate any false positives that mark blue on the patches.  I do make my own Ed's Red carbon removal solvent one reason I use a lot of bore solvent so it made sense to make this in bulk,  Hoppes # 9 is another good solvent and the one I used on these last 2 fouled rifles.

Run a bunch of patches with Hoppes # 9 down the barrel and get all the crud and carbon fouling out, run clean patches down the barrel to clean and dry,   next  run a couple patches of bore tech eliminator down the barrel and let sit a couple minutes and then run a clean patch down to verify HOW MUCH COPPER BLUEING  is on the patch  ( this is your verifier )   You can also use any of the better Ammonia based solvents and do the same Verifying  blue test.  I just happen to use Bore Tech mainly because I feel it's safer to use than high strength ammonia based solvents and accidently getting it into places that you don't want like the blueing of the gun, stocks, plastic parts,  etc. I think almost any cleaner in the wrong place can do damage,  being careful is the word of the day.    I do use a bore guide & one piece rods.    Follow instructions on all solvents and cleaning instructions, oil the barrel after cleaning, the normal stuff, etc.  I got more aggressive this time,  I used a slightly undersized heavy duty bronze brush,  then cut &  wrapped a cotton cleaning patch around the bronze brush about 1 1/2 times around and then rubbed JB bore cleaner completely around the patch, then I took some copper remover solvent I used bore tech and dribbled some on the JB soaked patch then ran it down the barrel 30 or so times and then ran hopes # 9 down the barrel to clean out all the crud, once cleaned I ran a couple patches of bore tech eliminator down the barrel to verify any blueing on the patch and yes it came out fairly blue heavier in the rifling  so I repeated 30 more strokes with jb paste  a new patch around the bronze brush this time with  hopes copper terminator solvent same thing after 30 strokes,  but less blueing on the patch when verifiting with bore tech eliminator solvent,  repeated the procedure  30 more strokes  using bore tech and JB paste on the bronze brush/clean patch routine.  This time verifying with bore tech no blue on the patch at all.  Cleaned really good with Hoppes # 9 and re-verified just how clean this barrel is with bore tech again and let sit a couple minutes and ran a couple more clean patches down and NO blue coloration on the patches what so ever.  Kroiled and Micro oiled the barrel.   I could have used other copper solvents this is what I happen to use this time.   I did this same routine with another rifle that you could visually see with the naked eye a copper tinge coloration  in the barrel,  after cleaning all copper is out as far as I can tell.   I do have some non abrasive JB Bore Bright for polishing the barrel rifling to a supposed smoother finish whether it works or not I don't know yet or it will lessen any copper fouling  down the road is to be seen.  I do have one concern in that aggressively running brush down the barrel that many times ,  how hard on the barrel is this procedure and is it doing more harm than good ?  I don't know at this point so if anyone is going to try what I did to get the copper out of your barrels it's really on you whether you want to be this aggressive on barrel cleaning and possibly ruin a barrel just from over  cleaning or improper cleaning methods.  Sometimes I think you can get a barrel too clean and then needing to re-foul the barrel to get it to settle down for best accuracy.   
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 10:54:00 AM by zonie »

Re: Copper fouled barrels and it's removal
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 01:48:50 PM »
Good info.  I use Sweets 7.62 since I found out that's what Weatherby uses which in my logic if it's good enough for them then it's good enough for me.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

Stacy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 04:09:35 PM »
I use Patchout and a squirt of Wpeout and let it sit overnight. I recently bought a borescope and checked the bores of all 6 rifles I shoot to see if this stuff has been working. It has been. I couldn't find any copper in the bores. Part of this may be because I clean them with the stuff after every range session. So, I don't allow a lot of copper fouling to accumulate. I don't shoot that may rounds either.     

dixie1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 04:25:54 PM »
Bore Tech works great for me.

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 04:38:36 PM »
+1 on the Bore Tech Eliminator.
Come and take it.

badsection

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 04:43:30 PM »
I shoot a lot of Barnes bullets. BTE or Montana extreme work for me.  :)

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 07:01:50 PM »
I use the Hoppe's bench rest copper remover.
Works fine, clean after 50 rounds or so

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 07:57:51 PM »
Bore tech eliminator work's great and actually helped bring my old Remington 700 back to MOU. Interestingly, I just cleaned my brand new in box unfired  Mark V Weatherman 30-06. Needed lots of bore tech and hoppe's bench rest before patches came out clean with some light nylon bore brushing. I know from the Remingron that excess copper fouling kills accuracy.