Spike Camp

Long ride today.First Pdog hunt of year tomorrow.

Long ride today.First Pdog hunt of year tomorrow.
« on: May 06, 2018, 10:46:57 PM »
First hunt at a new place tomorrow.We saw dogs when we came in today and it looked very promising.Gunsmith owns the place and we bsed with him for 2 hours about guns and hunting when we got here.He gave us a map of the place and pointed out spots on the map for us to try.Staying in an old farm house on the place that is very nice but no TV. Guess we will have to concentrate on hunting and taking naps.That is what we are here for right.LOL.I have a new barrel,scope,range finder,shooting bag,bag vice,and shooting bench to try out.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

DW5

• View Profile
Re: Long ride today.First Pdog hunt of year tomorrow.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 10:57:19 PM »
Good luck! Take a pic of your setup.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 05:07:05 AM »
Envious!
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 08:15:56 AM »
Good luck!
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 05:14:31 PM »
What no TV! How ever will you survive. What type of 3rd world hunting hut are you staying in???  ;D
Aussie gun nut.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 06:47:29 PM »
Roger, which rifle and cal did you put a new barrel on, and what new scope have you got riding on that new barrel? Does that old farmhouse have electricity? :'( lol with BB "What type of 3rd world hunting hut are you staying in???  ;D )
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 07:44:54 PM »
Well were Waiting ? we know your not watching TV
do your barrels have there tongues hanging out. ?  ;D
Mark

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 08:18:25 PM »
Good Luck Roger, have a great time!!!
Doug

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 09:06:47 PM »
Thanks guys.Hunting up in Eric's neck of the woods in Kansas.P dogs are not cooperating very well.Lots of mounds and dogs but once you spot them and set up they are gone.Never seen them this skiddish early in the season.No shots under 450 yards and wind was gusting up to 24 mph.Didn't shoot but about 100 rounds.Fun anyway.Few problems with some of my new toys.Try all tomorrow and see how they do then.The electric fence Greg has around part of the place works very well.Dont ask how I know.Eagle Rare wkiskey and preban Camacho cigars for a night cap.Saving the Opus X cigars for tomorrow night Oscar.
You can shoot a long way out here in Kansas.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 09:10:53 PM by terminator »
Roger

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 10:30:05 PM »
Do you have a Predator call with a Prairie Dog whistle?
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 11:20:20 AM »
That is an idea BM.
We are headed home after a 3 day hunt and I am riding now so thought I would give a report.We hunted to 7 last nite and then made a 3 hour run to cut our travel time down today.As I previously reported day 1 wasn't great and day 2 was slightly better.We were happy with day 3 as we started hitting areas on the fringes of the place that I don't think had been hunted very much.Curiously they were the spots closest to the roads and entrances of the place that most passed by to get to the center of the land.Again most shots were 450 yds or more with the occasional 250-300. We were just starting to see some of this years young starting to come out of the mounds.All in all for the price we paid $240 total for 3 days hunting and lodging (most places cost that much or more for 1 day.A pict of my rig and setup and a little of how it worked.Most know I have been shooting off of a trailet set up we made.On a upcoming hunt on the Indian Res in South Dakota you have to be on the ground so I traded a pair of Vortex Viper binos to a guy for this DOA shooting bench he had won in a raffle and wanted to try out the bench before the SD hunt.Very stable and easy to set up and turned relatively easy after a good greasing.Happy with the Lyman bag jack combo and the Nikon IS range finder. I posted some more about both of these in previous post.The new 30 inch Shilen barrel on the Savage Model 12 shot great. I averaged 80 fps faster than my old 26 inch barrel with the same loads.The Nightforce 8-32x56 performed flawlessly and was very bright.I am a dialer so the zero stop is invaluable. I wouldn't be without the Canon 15x50 Image Stabilizing binos.I do pick up a lot of mirage at 15 sometimes but nothing I can't live with.It also burns batteries.2 lithium AA every 1 1/2 days.The Howard Leight ear plugs are the best I have tried.Stick in my mouth to wet them before inserting.I have used diff. brands,foam,gel etc and these seem to work the best.Notice the white sock at the back right of the gun.It is filled with beans and keeps the back elbow from getting sore when shooting and glassing.Can also served as back squeeze rest if needed.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 11:22:35 AM by terminator »
Roger

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 06:22:40 PM »
Nice. Thanks Roger.
Mark

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 10:59:06 PM »
Tell us about the fired case methodology.Some up,some down.Are you keeping up with kills and misses without paper/pen?
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 09:16:26 AM »
I would get very discouraged if I kept up with kills vs misses. Lol Pdogs won't range very far on the rangefinder and in the areas they are in there is t much of anything else to range on. You try to get a reading on something relatively close and then guesstimate.Wind is a problem as you are shooting everything in a 180 degree arc and sometimes a 360.You can do very good once you have the distance and wind doped in a certain little area and you try to shoot everything in that area before you swivel your bench to look at another area and distance changes as well as the windage adjustments you must make.On the long shots you usually have to walk your shots to the dog after spotting where your original shot hit.Very rewarding to figure it out and make a kill long range.I dial my adjustments and some use hash marks and mildots to adjust.You will see red tape on my elevation turret.I have marked 100 yd increments up to 1000 yds so I can quickly dial up and down without counting clicks.The windage turret has a piece of tape also where it is originally set so you can come back to that easily.You may shoot all morning where you are continually dialing in left windage and then you move areas and have to remember to dial in right.Screwed that up a few times. ;D I All you really need is something like a 204,222,223,22-250 with a 9x scope minimum,8x binos,shooting bench,bags of some kind, and hopefully lots of ammo.If my South Dakota hunt in June works out maybe several of us could get together and do a hunt.I am open to going anywhere if anyone has a suggestion.
Roger

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 08:10:47 PM »
A bucket list hunt for me some day Roger..........I am envious

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member