Spike Camp

Best 100gr Factory Load for 240 Weatherby

Best 100gr Factory Load for 240 Weatherby
« on: May 09, 2018, 06:59:48 PM »
I purchased a Vanguard Accugard in a 240 Weatherby Magnum. I have many...many...rifles, so I think I am just going to focus on using a 100 grain factory load with this rifle for antelope, mule deer, and other similar size game.

I am not planning on shooting varmints or elk with this rifle because I have several other rifles for those tasks. So, this rifle will be purpose-built for that relatively narrow focus.

With this in mind, I am thinking about purchasing a scope with a ballistically matched reticle (likely a Leupold VX-3i 4.5-40X x 40mm). I would like to select one of the factory loads and I think the 100 grain Nosler Partition may be the best overall 100 grain load.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this load in terms of terminal performance and accuracy? Based on experience, I don’t have many concerns about suitability of the 100 grain bullet on this class of game, but I’ve never owned/shot a 240 Weatherby Magnum.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 07:01:30 PM by wyominghunter »
JK

PARA45

• View Profile
Re: Best 100gr Factory Load for 240 Weatherby
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 07:10:14 PM »
I have used the Weatherby 100 grs spire point load on GA whitetail, and it's deadly.  Unfortunately most of my shots are between 120 yds or less.  I have not shot a big deer with that load yet.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".