Spike Camp

Mark V acceptable trigger consistency?

Mark V acceptable trigger consistency?
« on: May 10, 2018, 03:02:30 PM »
So, as I reported in my intro, my Mark V trigger breaks around 3 pounds 14 ounces most pulls, but drops into the low 2s every 5 or 6 pull.

Decided to R&R the trigger last night. A bit dirty, but no signs of prior tampering and what appeared to be an original spring. Cut 1.5 coils off with a Dremel, polished sear and trigger,
cleaned, light lube, reinstalled and retested.

Pull is now around 2 pounds 10 ounces, but still drops down every so often, now as low as 1 pound 9 ounces. Is this common or acceptable? Anything I should check?

TIA

Long range hunter, target shooter and reloader new to Weatherby, with Mark V in 7 STW.

Re: Mark V acceptable trigger consistency?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 03:44:46 PM »
This is the 7mm STW Mark V? For all the effort you have put into this trigger, I would suggest a Timney trigger, problem solved!    :)

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 04:33:56 PM »
Yes, and I may yet do that...

From what I've read here and elsewhere,  most Mark V triggers are winners with a bit of attention, while some just won't shape up.

Trigger disassembly was not at all difficult or time consuming, so it was worth a try. But, back to the larger question, what IS considered acceptable pull weight fluctuation? My new digital Lyman trigger gauge has me wondering...
Long range hunter, target shooter and reloader new to Weatherby, with Mark V in 7 STW.

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 04:45:43 PM »
is there a lot of creep? sounds to me that the sear is not properly adjusted.
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 05:07:19 PM »
No, there is very little creep at all and I didn't fool with the sear adjustment screw. Not to say someone else didn't...

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 07:05:53 PM »
please i was not saying you adjusted but someone else. And your right about the sear not something to mess with if you dont know how. Once again i ment no disrespect.
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 07:14:06 PM »
No, no, no offense taken...  :) I simply have no idea what may have been done to the rifle previously.

The sear adjustment procedure is straight forward, but not sure it will help with variable pull weight. And, not sure if my expectations are simply off... Maybe all production triggers vary by this much, although I don't believe they do. Maybe my fancy digital trigger gauge is to blame, but I can feel the difference without looking at the readout.

Regards
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 07:26:42 PM by DHanisKid »

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 06:12:29 AM »
This is the 7mm STW Mark V? For all the effort you have put into this trigger, I would suggest a Timney trigger, problem solved!    :)
I second the Timney, you could try a new spring since you like to play around. I also agree with Derrill, leave the sear alone especially since its a used rifle and you don't know what was adjusted already.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 08:15:02 AM »
the trigger pull should be consistent every time you pull it,something isn't right,also the mark v trigger is made to be adjustable for pull weight so you can set it where you like it,i have my accumark set at 2.5 lbs and has no creep so I haven't had the need to change it,i do have timney triggers on my vanguards and they are worth every penny

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 08:46:53 AM »
the trigger pull should be consistent every time you pull it,something isn't right,also the mark v trigger is made to be adjustable for pull weight so you can set it where you like it,i have my accumark set at 2.5 lbs and has no creep so I haven't had the need to change it,i do have timney triggers on my vanguards and they are worth every penny

I agree with Southtxkiller, that trigger should always break the same, you need to replace it. I'm sure you already know trigger pull affects accuracy.
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 03:30:59 PM »
Yes I agree with the other guys and suggest putting a Timney in it. All my Mark V's have perfect triggers that I adjust to around 2.5 pounds. Have never had one with variable pull weights.
I think the previous owner may have played around with it not knowing what they were doing.
Aussie gun nut.