Spike Camp

New camilla 6.5 Creedmoor with scope

New camilla 6.5 Creedmoor with scope
« on: May 12, 2018, 01:05:44 PM »
Well everything was finally picked up and here is what it looks like. Hope to get to range this coming week. My wife said she might even let me use it if I am lucky.

Re: New camilla 6.5 Creedmoor with scope
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 01:38:17 PM »
That is a sharp looking setup.What ammo are you going to try?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 01:59:17 PM »
Where she is going to be hunting this fall, the guide likes 140 grain bullets. The only ones I can get around here are the Remington Core Lokts, so we are starting with those. I have ordered dies and 140 grain Nosler  partitions and I have the 143 grain Hornady ELD-X bullets, I am using in my 264 Win mag that shoot half inch 100 yard groups. Whatever shoots best for her is what she will use.

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 02:50:27 PM »
140 grain partition is a good bullet

Have you taken anything with the 143 ELD-X ?

Good looking rifle. Weatherby and Vortex, can't go wrong there!

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 02:59:53 PM »
Core Lokts are fine bullets if they shoot good in your gun.Good luck on those feral bulls.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 04:07:49 PM »
She looks great. Hopefully it'll like those 140gr Corelokts. That is exactly what I use in my 7mm-08 Camilla. I had great success with them on feral goats and pigs out of my Camilla on my last hunt with it. They are a very underrated projectile and work just great.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 05:34:21 PM »
Thank you everyone. We too are hoping the Core Lokts. As you can see I have been around awhile as well. My dad always started with the Core Lokts and if they shot well he stopped looking. Midway every now and then used to have the Remington Core Lokt bullets in bulk for sale and he would stock upon them. There is no such thing as a bullet proof animal and he rated the bullet on par, or better, than most brands of reloading bullets that were available in the 60's and 70's. Haven't seen them for quite a while now though. As for the other bullets I am going to try, I've only had the 264 Win for a short time and have not had a chance to shoot anything but paper but really looking forward to using them this fall. I expect the Camilla to shoot just as good as all my Weatherby's. All of them shoot well under 1 inch, if I do my part. She has quite a firearm collection as well, and is really excited about this one. All of the others are either youth or compact models. none of them fit her as well as this one. It shoulders and comes to eye perfectly, so she is really looking forward to shooting/hunting with it. Weatherby did a great job with the Camilla.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 06:57:51 PM »
That is a sleek looking rifle. And I think after you click on the picture, if you'll zoom it up just a bit more, you see just how  graceful the lines on that stock really look. Great looking set-up, hope she ends up liking the core-lokts, ELD-X and the Nosler partitions. Let us know how she does at the range. Good Luck   
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 06:39:38 PM by danno50 »
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 07:39:02 PM »
That's a beauty :)
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 07:05:54 PM »
That is a great looking set up you have there.  Can't wait to see how she shoot.  ;D
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

zonie

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 11:33:40 AM »
Oldchet,  very nice  !  You may end up liking that new rifle as lightweight as it is.  We bought a 6.5 CM  Vanguard S2 synthetic when it first came out.   So far 1 cow elk and  1 antelope killed with this rifle both one shot kills around 150 to 175 yds ,  RL 17 powder,  Nosler and Hornady brass ,   Both killed with Hornady 129 grain inter lock  sp's.  Velocity right at 2950 fps handloaded.   I've got it to shoot slightly over 3000 fps with 129's and 2800 with 140 grain bullets, no sign of pressure problem with this rifle and loads,   accuracy 1/2 inch after free floating and glass bedding the action.  Prior to free floating and glass bedding it tended to pull shots and accuracy wasn't consistent,  it liked a very clean barrel.     Tried several different bullets and powders during load work-up ,  best groups were with Berger 140 vld hunting I just don't care for the bullet on anything larger than deer.  Put on  a little cheap Nikon 4x12 with bdc reticle ,  scope is pretty right on using Nikon spot on ballistic program.  My wife is shooting 5 " groups @ slightly over 600 yds.  Very lite recoil this rifle is fast becoming my favorite for just plinking and having fun shooting.   I would have no problem using this set-up on the largest bull elk so long as I didn't try shooting  extreme ranges where I needed to drive a bullet super deep, maybe if I tried a mono type bullet  and a perfect broadside shot it would be acceptable for me.  The thing that impressed me the most was how fast this 24 " barrel spit out a 129 grain bullet,  I have 270 Winchesters with 22 " barrels  using 130's that are right in the same ball park velocity wise.  I have no doubt I can push them harder but why when the accuracy is there.   

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 12:05:54 PM »
Nice looking rig. Which Vortex is on there?
Come and take it.

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 12:51:26 PM »
Nice looking rig. Which Vortex is on there?
Diamondback 3-9x40 V-plex. Going to range tomorrow, will sight in 1.5 inches high at 100 yards, less or equal to 2" drop at 200 yards, depending on what velocity and bullet it likes. Will try to post pictures when done.

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 09:10:56 PM »
Let us know how she does.
Come and take it.

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 01:48:58 PM »
Made it to the range today. The shots off to the left were from sighting in by me. The shots marked 1,2 and 3,4,5 were my wife's. After the first 2 I adjusted scope for her. 3,4,5 was the end of the ammo we had with us and barrel was getting too warm. She had not shot since November 2015 and this was with the 140 grain Core-Lokt factory ammo. A little more range time and she is ready to go hunting.