Spike Camp

Caliber opinion's for daughters first Weatherby

Caliber opinion's for daughters first Weatherby
« on: May 13, 2018, 07:23:07 AM »
Well folks my daughter , who is 22 years old and about 5' tall and weighs a buck 0 5 on a good day soaking wet has drawn her first elk tag .  She has hunted deer and hogs for a long time always using a 243 win but here in New Mexico due to caliber restrictions she is going to be needing a bigger caliber for her first elk hunt. Also she is pewter dee left handed!! So shooting one of mine is an option but not the best option , and I want to buy her a new rifle anyway so I am trying to decide what to get her ?  The rifle will be used for deer mostly,  but like this year, with an occasional elk hunt thrown in. I have been leaning towards a 257 or a 7mm ?  Never having taken an elk with a 257 so I have no experience on it, but know of many who have and of course all the stories of Mr. Roy himself killing everything with it .  I have always like it and taken several deer and hogs with one myself .  The 7mm WBY I have just got myself this year from a member on here and have to say so far I love it .  One of my co-workers here in NM has hunted with the 7mm all his life and him and his wife have taken elk , Orxy and Barbary with it nearly every year since I have been here so I know it is a proven killer as well.  What say you ?  The general Weatherby Nation.  I value all of your comments and opinions.  I know either is a good choice but would like to hear some pros and cons on both from you lovely people. This may seem trivial or a little funny but one reason for these two caliber selections is also Left hand availability!  I have been able to find several lefties in 257 and 7mm but have not seen much of anything else in left hand versions, an occasional 300 but really that is about it.  Thank you ! Thank you very much!!
And on the 8th Day God created the .300 Weatherby and God saw the .300 Weatherby was good, and God divided the .300 Weatherby from the rest.

Re: Caliber opinion's for daughters first Weatherby
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 08:08:28 AM »
split the difference, 6.5-300wby?

off the top of my head I was thinking 257wby, being one of the most popular and great for most game, some may say it's a great elk cartridge, I would say it's on the light side. but then again can she use it for 90% of her hunts and when needing something bigger use something else or get a 2nd gun?

btw weatherby does chamber many rifles in 7mm Rem. Mag. which is a great round as well. and way more popular than any wby cartridge especially the 7mm wby, I think far and away the 257 and 300wby are their 2 most popular.

I think any of the 257, 270, 7mm wby, or 7mm rem mag. will do the job.
I think the 257 would be more pleasant to shoot 95% of the time too.

good luck! keep us posted.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 08:58:45 AM »
Going by what she will be hunting most of the time, and a elk now and than. I would get the .257. I used mine for elk last year after having scope mount problems with my elk rifle. Used 100 grain TTSX, worked just fine
Mike

257 Shooter

• 257 Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 02:57:08 PM »
For cartridge selection, if you want a Weatherby chambering, you could split the difference; 270 Weatherby. Spectacular for deer sized game. No problem hunting elk either with a good bullet. As far as rifles, it's a matter of preference and cost. A left hand action will be a little more of a challenge but plenty of options. Have fun selecting.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 03:37:51 PM »
I think most of us would suggest the .257 me included. As others have said, it would be a better all round rifle for her and can then be used for the occasional elk hunt using something like the 115 grain TSX.
Or you could go the standard .270 win (yuck) or as 257Shooter said go the .270 Wby which won't have much more recoil.
But after saying that I'd still go with the .257 Roy  ;)
Aussie gun nut.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 05:59:12 PM »
Get a lefty 270 with a brake.Done deal
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 08:40:20 PM »
left handed 270 Wby, 130gr ttsx ammo. The recoil is not much more than the 257 wby, and the 130gr ttsx will take any deer or elk around, if the shot placement is good.  8)

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 05:03:11 AM »
Is she recoil sensitive at all or just likes the 243? If she is, I'd recommend a 7mm-08. You get the benefit of the 7mm without a lot of recoil. You give up the range of a 7mm Rem Mag, but a spry 22 year old should have no problem stalking a little closer.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 09:10:02 AM »
I believe the only advice I could give is stay away from anything that would need a muzzle brake. She is only 22 and needs her ears for a long while. If she ever fires one with out ear protection,like while hunting, she will know why. JMO

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 12:07:58 PM »
Thank you to each and everyone of you for your advice and recommendations. We will be looking hard in the next few weeks to see what we can find . I will keep you all posted on which direction we go. I own one of each caliber recommended so I think, even though it will be the wrong side, wrong length of pull , I will have her shoot each one of them and let her decide on what she thinks of the recoil. Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions.
And on the 8th Day God created the .300 Weatherby and God saw the .300 Weatherby was good, and God divided the .300 Weatherby from the rest.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 12:26:41 PM »
If she's not recoil shy, the 270Wby offers all the benefits of the 257, but with 20-50% more bullet mass, which on elk might be a good thing.  Recoil for the round is right in line with 30-06 loadings in the 150-165gr range, so it's not prohibitive for most folks.  There are left-handed 270Wby Mark Vs out there.  Just keep an eye out.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 06:53:30 PM »
Question... Does she feel like she could handle a lil more  recoil?

If so then I'd go with the 270WBY.

If not then the 257Wby it is

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 08:24:15 PM »
I knew dubyam  would back us guys up, that suggested the 270 Wby  ;D ;D  Seriously Elvis300, if you have all the calibers we all suggested, it's a good plan to let her try them, and see what she is comfortable with, and go with that. My girlfriend and both nieces can shoot 270's and 7mm's but the girlfriend and one niece use a 240 Wby, the other niece uses a 243 Win. It's what they are comfortable with, can shoot them very well, and uses them on everything, including moose and elk.  8)

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 09:43:36 PM »
That is a wise decision to let her try out yours in the different calibers Elvis.Cant hardly go wrong with a 257 as her first Weatherby caliber though.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 09:51:34 PM by terminator »
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 06:52:26 AM »
Thanks again gents for the added comments.  I just found out that I was steered a little wrong in the caliber restrictions department.  In NM 24 is the smallest caliber legally allowed for elk so her 243 would be legal.  That being said I will continue with our quest for a new rifle and a larger caliber .  She will always have her 243 but I will go ahead and get her a Weatherby .  As stated I do own 240 through 340 in the WBY calibers so I will let her try them out and see what she thinks of the recoil.  I don't suspect her to be recoil sensitive but you never know. Maybe we can get out this weekend and give it a go.  I also own several other calibers in everything from 220 swift thru 300 Win mag but No left handed models in the bunch.  Being a WBY fanatic I will exclude all of those calibers and only take out my WBY's to try. Once she decides on a WBY caliber if she wants something else down the road she can get that one herself😂!  I lost my son to the dark side sometime ago 😔! He opted for a custom 30-06 I had . He always like the stock and the way it fit him. He also liked the fact he could walk into any Town and country feed store, mom and pop shop or Walmart and pick up a box of shells for 20 bucks. ( He always was smarter than me).  I hope to keep his sister on track. Thanks again gents I will keep you posted and see where we land !