Spike Camp

Swarovski ATX/BTX/STX Opinions?

Swarovski ATX/BTX/STX Opinions?
« on: May 14, 2018, 02:31:58 PM »
I am thinking about taking the big plunge and buy a Swarovski ATX spotting scope (probably the 85mm objective version).

I have always heard great things about Swarovski spotting scopes, but I was wondering if anyone owns one or has used one that provide some feedback? Is it worth the investment? I have some other ideas how to spend some resources, but this is near the top of the list.

Any insight anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
JK

• View Profile
Re: Swarovski ATX/BTX/STX Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 05:11:47 PM »
I don't own one. But once grassing for antelope we had a Swarovski and a Vortex setting side by side
I would buy the Vortex again. Seemed to my it's a lot of money for the name.
Don't get me wrong it was very clear, But l couldn't tell much if any difference
Mike

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 05:33:08 PM »
Which Vortex scope were you using? Honestly, I haven’t looked though any of them. If I get that far, I may cruise over to Cabela’s and try them outside of the store.
JK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 07:50:38 PM »
Razar 20-60x85
Vortex has good glass
That's a good idea go somewhere that you can compare them side by side
Mike

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 05:09:42 AM »
Try the vortex and swaro side by side at twilight.  Most likely won’t see much difference in bright sunlight.  Where you will see a difference is first and last light. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 05:14:08 AM by cacsrx1 »

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 05:13:40 PM »
Well heck...first and last light are the “magic” hours!
JK

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 07:57:15 AM »
I don't own any Swarovski scopes, but what I have always heard is 99% positive about their glass. Vortex is worth a good look too though, and may save you some money. As was said, I would also urge you to do an extensive side by side comparison. Unfortunately, a brightly lit store is not the place to do a low light appraisal. If the people in your store know you pretty well (as in being a regular) they may be willing to step outside with you with the two floor samples you are looking at and let you look through them there (around dusk, of course). You will know then and there which one is better. There may be parking lot lights, but still better than a bright store.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:07:02 AM by texweatherby »
Some like cologne, I like the smell of gunpowder.

badsection

• Do or do not. There is no "try" Yoda, Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 02:19:41 PM »
A few years back, I bought a Zeiss Diavarra scope. I have moved it 2 or 3 times to different rifles.  I judge every other scope against that one for low light use.  It is incredible optics. I am not sure it is $1K better than the multiple Vortex Vipers or Nikon Prostaff 7's I have now.  I just loaded some 338 Lapua Mags at the recommended max length and checked their function in my Savage 112 Target with a Nikon Prostaff 7 scope.  Incredible Optics for under $500 on sale.