Spike Camp

Newbie here with a new Vanguard and questions.

Cornivorus

Newbie here with a new Vanguard and questions.
« on: May 14, 2018, 08:08:29 PM »
I just picked this up new in the box from a local gun store. But found that it is old stock and I'm wondering when it was manufactured ? Serial # is VS217xxx and it says Atascadero , Calif on it. It falls into the serial# range for the bolt recall, however when I entered it into the registry it says that it is not affected.

When did Weatherby move from Atascadero to Paso Robles?

It's a 300 Weatherby by the way, I went in looking for an ought 6 but when I saw the wood on this I had to have it!

Did I make a good buy? $650

Re: Newbie here with a new Vanguard and questions.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 10:37:36 PM »
I would have had to have gotten it also.That is a sharp looking rifle and great caliber.Congrats.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 02:30:53 AM »
It is sharp looking.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 07:49:29 AM »
Welcome to the Nation Cornivorus. That is really nice looking wood that Wby Vanguard. BTW, thats a great price for that rifle, even though its an older model.(before S2) Can't tell if the finish is an electrolux nickel coating or SS. If its stainless, it will have the SS printed by the serial number. In either case, its a beautiful rifle. I'd say thats a great buy.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 10:14:45 AM »
Yeah!!! Really good buy I'd say. I woulda jumped all over it at that price.

Welcome to Weatherby nation!

Cornivorus

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 05:24:42 PM »
There is no SS by the serial, but it looks like a bead blasted matte finish.

Cornivorus

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 08:37:52 PM »
I just checked my email, Weatherby cs got back to me and stated this rifle has no recall issues and that it left the factory in 2006.

I wonder how many gun shops carry stock for 12 years before making a sale?

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 10:51:14 PM »
Not many I'll bet, unless the gun shop is in Nunavut or the Yukon in Canada. JK :) Was yours the only Weatherby in the shop, or were their others? What scope will you be putting on your 300 Wby and what game will you be hunting?
DosEquisShooter

Cornivorus

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 08:15:25 AM »
Not sure yet what scope it will be getting? Most likely it will be Leupold. I had a friend who once bought a 300 Weatherby and asked me to help him sight it in. We mounted a Tasco world class 3x9 on it and proceeded to dial it in. 6-8 shots later the reticle looked mangled/canted in the scope?

Luckily, Cabelas took it back no questions asked and he put a Leupold Vari-x IIc 3x9 on it and we had it dialed in quickly and he had no more reticle problems. I had always been a Leupold fan but this experience just re-enforced that even more.

It will be used mostly for Elk here in Utah, but may be used for Muley's as well (have a .243 for that). Also, you never know when a coyote may line up in the sights!

Cornivorus

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 06:07:55 PM »
Update: So I have a Leupold VX-3i 4.5x14x40 cds mounted on this rifle now. I started a load with 72 gr. of H4831sc and some 212gr. Hornady ELD-x's, working up to 74 gr.

I had one round each at 72, 72.5, 73, 73.5 and then loaded 5ea. at 74 just wanting to get a baseline started and see how bad the recoil would be. Keep in mind this is my first attempt at loading and shooting a big magnum.

First two shots after a quick bore sight job were just off the target, moved right 9 inches and the next 7 shots were just a half inch off the bullseye at 100 yards. My son and I took turns shooting the rifle and ended up with a 7 shot group of 1 1/4", one flyer I called as it was my first shot with this rifle. The other 6 rounds turned in a 5/8" group with one of those at 73gr. and one at 73.5gr. and the other 4 at 74gr.

I'd have to say that we have a shooter on our hands for sure. Just need to keep working this load and see what it can really do.

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 06:55:39 PM »
Looks like you have a shooter for sure at a good price

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 09:09:28 PM »
Sounds like you have yourself one mighty fine shooting stick right there.
Aussie gun nut.