Spike Camp

Bolts for my Bulldog 330

Chris

• View Profile
Bolts for my Bulldog 330
« on: May 16, 2018, 07:50:55 PM »
Picked up 1/2 dozen Diablo bolts this evening. I only had two left.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

Re: Bolts for my Bulldog 330
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 05:56:29 AM »
Have a few different bolts for the Jackal.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 07:18:57 AM »
I would say so.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 07:33:56 AM »
Chris, 1. what kind of broad heads do you use on your bolts?(fixed or mechanical) 2. Do you target practice with the same arrows(bolts) and broad heads as you hunt with, or do you use a new broad head when you hunt? 3. How often do you have to sharpen broad heads if at all?

Roger, the same questions for you.   
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 08:16:23 AM »
Dan:I use Rage mechanicals.Produce devestating damage and I have never had one that didn't work.Practice with same bolts I hunt with although for plinking I use the same weight field points.Rage also has practice type heads  that simulate the shape of the regular to sight in and practice.I always take a few shots before season with a regular head Rage that I keep for that purpose so I don't dull the ones I have for hunting.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 09:28:25 AM »
I have been using a 100 grain Slick Trick Stainless Steel Standard model. I shoot at my target with my broadheads. I learned that shooting multiple arrows in targets equals ruined arrows.
I usually practice between 20-40 yards. At 50 yards I can shoot within 4” circle with what I am using now. My Grim Reaper practice head shoots better all the way out to 60 yards. I have heard of people having issues with Grim Reapers opening early. Some say use a band on them and then you lose the advantages of using Grim Reapers.
I usually use 4 blade heads or Reapers with my compound bows over the years. Broadheads with four blades but a good size bullet hole like hole in deer and mechanical heads like the Grim Reaper Whitetail Specials are 2” cutting diameter and I can tell you that they both lay down a good amount of blood.
So to answer your question, I usually always practice my setups like I was hunting with them. I don’t sharpen those heads or resharpen them. I need to set my blind up and see how it shoots through the mesh windows.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 09:32:42 AM »
Galamb has a lot of knowledge on crossbows as well, much more than me. I am still pretty green.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member