Spike Camp

Hornady Brass

Hornady Brass
« on: May 18, 2018, 09:30:11 PM »
Anybody tried or currently use Hornady brass for your Weatherby? If so how does it compare to Weatherby/Norma brass?

As in case capacity/volume, quality etc.

Re: Hornady Brass
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 07:34:25 PM »
Never used it in my Weatherby calibers, but use it in my 22/250 and 25/06. I find it to be of decent quality and get good case life with it. It needs to be preped, but I find neck thickness to be conistent from case to case as well as weight. I wouldn't put it on the same level as laupa or Norma, but generally as good as the rest. Decent price also.
Any man who would compromise his freedom in pursuit of safety deserves neither freedom or safety...BF

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 07:44:57 PM »
I have also never used it in Weatherby calibers but have in others.It seems to have split necks before any of my other brass after reloading.Personally I stick with the Norma for my Weatherby calibers.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 09:02:36 PM »
Depends if it's Hornady or Frontier brass.The Frontier brass is darn hear throw away after the 1st use.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 12:56:34 PM »
I've used Hornady brass for my 270 & 7mm-08 and it's had good case life.
I just haven't seen it mentioned much for Wby calibers.

It caught my eye, Midway has 50pcs for around $55

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 09:51:27 PM »
Not impressed with Hornady brass. The price you pay then its straight to the trimmer to take it down to min size. Heck this is the only virgin brass that it wasn't prime it, add powder, then put the bullet on top.

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 01:25:47 PM »
I used it once to load for the .300 Weatherby for a friend of mine years ago and don't remember having any major issues with it.  He bought the brass and all the stuff and I did the loading.  Personally I like to use Weatherby or Norma brass for all my Weatherby loads.  I can't say anything about the case life because I only loaded them twice for him and that was about twelve years ago.  I don't know if their brass is any better or worse these days.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

Rob41256

• Living the Weatherby life in Saskatchewan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 08:32:34 PM »
I am using Hornady brass for my 300 Wby.  So far so good. I did notice the first time shooting it the cases all needed trimming but after that all good. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 07:27:28 AM by Rob41256 »

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 10:39:24 PM »
Well I'm about 3 or 4 loadings into the Hornady 300Wby brass. I don't think it'll have the life of Weatherby/Norma brass but it's holding up so far.

**I have had to toss about 6 pieces because of loose primer pockets but I figured out they were all cases loaded with max charges of IMR7828 (which is almost to hot for my gun)**

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 07:04:54 AM »
The Frontier brass is not what the Hornady stamped brass is and it's not what the Weatherby brass is.You get what you pay for when your talking about brass.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.