Spike Camp

Anyone use the SA459 for coyote?

Cornivorus

Anyone use the SA459 for coyote?
« on: May 20, 2018, 03:17:45 PM »
This has quickly become my favored weapon for coyote hunting. I kept having them run in charging hard to my call and then exiting twice as fast and me bumbling around with my bolt action was pathetic at times.

Cornivorus

Re: Anyone use the SA459 for coyote?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 05:41:35 PM »
Not much traffic over here I guess

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 07:11:14 PM »
I missed this.
I do not have one of those but l would think it would work good. One of my friends is a coyote hunter and he uses my H&R single shot 10 ga.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 07:53:25 PM »
I don't think there are many Weatherby shotgun owners here.Nice picture.I can definitely see the use for a shotgun varmint hunting.I am too lazy to carry both rifle and shotgun though so the rifle is my choice.Where do you hunt and what caller? My choice is Foxpro.I got this one with the WNMR in 257.I could have used a shotgun here as he came from behind me on the run going to the mojo decoy,figured it out and was hauling ass before I got on him.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 10:04:58 PM by terminator »
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Cornivorus

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 03:08:21 PM »
I'm in central Utah . I use hand calls and I have a Foxpro Fusion as well. I feel naked without my rifle, but now I have to have the shotgun no matter what too. So I carry both now, it's a pain to do but it pays off.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 04:53:00 PM »
In the show Dog Soldier, he uses both rifle & shotgun to hunt coyotes.  I think having both is not a bad idea.  Good shooting!
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 06:23:01 PM »
I guess l should say my friend takes the 10 ga and his 260 Rem

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 04:07:31 AM »
I'm new to the game of coyote hunting but with the dense vegetation and woodlands here in eastern NC a shotgun might be the ticket. I've had no success calling at night. I know a few guys that hunt them but if they can scratch out a half dozen or so a year they consider it a success. They call them in at night and use rifles. You rarely ever see a coyote here in the daytime. And when you do they look like they are late for an appointment. Most of the coyote taken here is by leg-hold live trapping. Unless they have changed the laws recently they were being sold to fox pens anywhere from $75 to $100 apiece.