Spike Camp

Cougar attack kills man

Re: Cougar attack kills man
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 07:55:05 AM »
WOW! This is why bikers, hikers, bowhunters should always carry a pistol on them, especially in states where there are cougars, wolves, bears and even coyotes. I've seen cougars in the wild in Colorado and they are LARGE animals. I had one cross the trail behind me, after hearing a noise, and first I thought it was a mule deer because on the color. Then I saw the long fluffy tail and knew what it was. I'm glad I was carrying my 340 Weatherby at the time. I'm not sure if he was following me or it was just a chance encounter but I kept a close watch of my back trail the rest of the day. Never saw him again but I did find it's den at the top of an avalanche chute where an avalanche had uprooted a pine tree. I found many tracks in the snow going to and from the rootball hole
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 08:17:11 AM »
My buddy was packing in to do an archery elk hunt by himself in Colorado a few years back. He said there was a mountain biker flying down the trail towards him and after he passed by there was a mountain lion running on the ledge above chasing him. He wasn't sure what happened to the biker or if he even knew he was being chased, but he said it raised the hair on the back of his neck!!!
Doug

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 08:52:08 AM »
Hunched over the handle bars going fairly fast they look like prey to me, why not a cougar.
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

badsection

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 09:03:41 AM »
I know we had cougar prints in our footprints in the fresh snow while elk hunting near Pinedale WY.   :)

zonie

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 09:53:50 AM »
Called them in with mouth calls,  they're predators and they're cats which makes them sneaky,  bear attacks are not uncommon in our state.  I think I'd be a little more worried about a mtn lion than a black bear both animals can and do kill people the one thing that stands out about a mtn lion is you probably aren't going to see it coming if the cat want's you.   This ain't the first time a mtn lion has decided to kill a human and it's going to happen again.  All you can do is have your head on a swivel when out in the sticks including semi rural housing areas where a mtn lion may decide to snack on livestock and pets.  The drought is really getting bad here in AZ so they got to go to water and that may mean your bird feeder.   Carry a weapon or other self defense  item.  One of our son's friend a young adult out archery elk hunting was napping by a tree not terribly far from where we live,  he woke up and saw a lion about 12 -15 ft  away ready to pounch on him when he swung his bow and let fly an arrow hitting the cat in the top of the head slicing a nice gouge and bleeding like a stuck hog.  After he settled down and called his dad which was a few hundred yds away  they called in friends with dogs to track the cat, unfortunately  after losing the blood trail on hot dry ground and a couple of day's trying to find the cat they lost him.  Another hunting buddy out calling coyote & fox set his electronic call up and within a couple minutes had a mtn lion come in right to the call,  my buddy shot the cat and the call at the same time killing the cat and the call with one shot,   the lion was sitting on a mule deer buck the cat killed  a few yds away and just watched my buddy set his call and as soon as it turned on the cat went to investigate.  I did something similar when hunting muley  chucking small rocks down a small not very deep draw to see if anything came out  then looked up and seen a big tom get up from under a juniper tree and walk off couldn't have been 50 yds.  Had another one sitting right in front of us sunning himself in the middle of an old forest rd he didn't move until I tried to get out of the jeep then he hauled butt.  A buddy and I chased a mtn lion into an old abandoned cowboy line shack and then I got stupid and decided to go look inside the open door without a gun in hand, boy did I get an ear full of pissed off kitty.  Long time ago when the kids were young we were hunting Kaibab and on a newly cut logging road I took the jeep in and there was a Prentice log loader in the middle of the road and just as I got around the log loader there was a herd of does and then there was a mtn lion fixated stalking the deer , we jumped out and the lion took off.  I don't know if you guy's notice this when mule deer hunting I always look for logging operations that are currently going on,  why may you ask because when the trees are limbed in fresh piles before chipping or burning the deer will come in the get the mistletoe from the piled up branches on the ground, but where the deer are the mtn lions aren't too far away.   I probably see more black bears than mtn lions only because the nature of the beast,  but I guarantee you the cats are their watching you just don't see them.    Another sad note locally  2 people were killed in 2 separate elk vs motor vehicles in last couple months elk didn't survive either.   One of these was very close to our house.   
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 10:45:43 AM by zonie »

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 03:28:30 PM »
Tree huggers take note! 

Some states do not allow carrying a handgun while bow hunting.  FL used to be that way, not sure if the laws have changed or not.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 05:02:03 PM »
Tree huggers take note! 

Some states do not allow carrying a handgun while bow hunting.  FL used to be that way, not sure if the laws have changed or not.

Those states can kiss my ash. My Constitution gives me the right to carry, and I CARRY. Those two faced, yellow spined cowards that pass those unconstitutional laws need to spend a couple years behind bars where they belong.
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

badsection

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 05:20:02 PM »
We do have cougars in Florida. They call them "Florida panthers" .   I have Coatis in my neighborhood.    :)

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 05:46:00 PM »
I know it Godscountry, I hear ya. 

Bad, I thought you were referring to the cougars found in the bars & beaches of South Florida.....LMAO!!!!
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 06:38:44 PM »
Before the do gooders outlawed hound hunting in Oregon a cougar tag was hard to draw and they were rarly seen, now the season is open year around and they are commonly seen. I quit wearing elk scent when archery hunting, don't want to encourage them.
John

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 06:40:47 PM »
I know the big cats live and breed in areas where I hunt north of Dodge City. Generally, the keep their distance from humans.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 06:43:12 PM »
Tree huggers take note! 

Hopefully more tree huggers and liberals go out and meet the cougars although that might be considered to cruelty to animals.   ;D
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 07:16:04 PM »
Lesson here aside from what happens when you ban hunting. is don't run away and leave your friend for dead. If the biker who got killed would have stayed and helped his friend who was being attacked. There is no doubt the two could have fought the cougar off. But he freaked out and ran for it. Turning the cougars natural instinct to chase on him self. A article I read said they did nothing wrong. When in fact They didn't do anything right. They both left there friend and ran for it. Glad I don't have friends like that.  :-[
Mark

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 07:17:35 PM »
A young male mountain lion is  considered the most aggressive.
There are some around the area here. One likes to bury deer parts in the soft arena dirt. The ladies came and got me one day, said there is a mound by second barrel. (Barrel racers) Was a part of a mule deer and cat tracks everywhere