Spike Camp

Cougar attack kills man

Re: Cougar attack kills man
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2018, 07:21:45 PM »
Lesson here aside from what happens when you ban hunting. is don't run away and leave your friend for dead. If the biker who got killed would have stayed and helped his friend who was being attacked. There is no doubt the two could have fought the cougar off. But he freaked out and ran for it. Turning the cougars natural instinct to chase on him self. A article I read said they did nothing wrong. When in fact They didn't do anything right. They both left there friend and ran for it. Glad I don't have friends like that.  :-[

I was thinking the same thing. What happened to sticking to the end! No matter how it turns out

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2018, 07:55:35 PM »
I had the very same thoughts as you Mark.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

usmcm16a2

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2018, 08:37:35 PM »
Yep,

Cougars are all over the place here in the Peoples Republic of Commiefornia. As are bears, I moved to California in 1969, these 2 animals are being seen in places that they have not inhabited for decades. One estimate puts California's bear population at 30000. And the cougar population at between 5000-7000, I decided that when i go out hunting this year, I will be carrying a 30-06, not a 6.5 Grendel. A2

3X8

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2018, 07:05:40 AM »
Lesson here aside from what happens when you ban hunting. is don't run away and leave your friend for dead. If the biker who got killed would have stayed and helped his friend who was being attacked. There is no doubt the two could have fought the cougar off. But he freaked out and ran for it. Turning the cougars natural instinct to chase on him self. A article I read said they did nothing wrong. When in fact They didn't do anything right. They both left there friend and ran for it. Glad I don't have friends like that.  :-[

Yep, just shows you how fast karma can work sometimes.

zonie

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2018, 11:45:51 AM »
If you know what to look for whether it's old or new sign  it isn't that difficult to find the general area and habits of a certain mtn lion.   Look for kills, look for dens, look or where they take a crap and cover it,  lean a log against the tree where cat craps  that's where back in the day when it was legal old time trappers would set their traps, unfortunately you will get bears in them also.  When we were kids we were taught  what to look for this was back in the 60's by an old gov'n hunter trapper on the reservation.   Bass Pro shop use to have a picture of the last Jaguar legally killed in AZ on display at the exit in the Mesa Az store,  it's since been taken down,    maybe in reaction to bunny huggers or complaints I don't know on that one  imo.  Anyway the hunter trapper in the picture was the same guy who showed us kids what to look for.  Jaguars still roam southern AZ to this day you just don't see them.   A 90 pound  mtn lion can do a lot of damage if they want , take for instance I did this once I roped with para cord  a 10 pound feral house cat ,  I couldn't get the rope off him and ended up  with a super heavy duty set of  firefighting gloves  and turnout jacket and he still bit thru the gloves,  times that by 9 , a 90 pound mtn lion you won't know what hit you.  Mtn Lions  can and do get to over 200 pounds in certain areas in AZ.  Another cat I really wouldn't want to tangle with is any bobcat regardless of size they seem to have a bad attitude even mtn lions don't like to tangle with.    A few years back in AZ  archery hunters were finally allowed to carry a handgun for protection, this change was really designed for border bandit protection in the southern part of the state but also had to cover all archery hunters where allowed.   There was certain restrictions on types and accessories on these handguns,  I don't know what the law is anymore. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 11:27:15 PM by zonie »

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2018, 11:34:58 AM »
No doubt. Zonnie
If I had to choose I would rather have to try and fight off A 200 lb. black bear than A 100 lb. cougar. But that's just what you have to do is Fight. Fight for your life. You cant out run or out climb either A black bear or cougar. So you have to Fight with everything you got and A little more. They want to eat you. Running or playing dead will just get you dead. You only play dead if its A grizzly. I don't know what I would do in either case. But I do know that anything can become A weapon. I read where A man was attacked while riding his bike and was knocked off. he got up and beat the thing with his bike. lucky for Him A car came along and he was able to jump in. A Cougar is A perfect killing machine. I don't go anywear with out at least A knife but mostly A hand gun capable of doing the job. As the late Author of the book Bears. Ben East said I will explain it to the Judge latter.
Mark

zonie

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2018, 01:13:15 AM »
Grizzly340,   The way the world is today I'm very rarely without a gun in my pocket and that's even at our house, one reason it's rural and the other reason,  I have a favorite tree  at about midnight that needs watering after I've been on the computer or working in the garage.  I have a great horned owl that nearly gave me a heart attack one night I walked out of the garage side door and he had a kill somewhere near and he let out the loudest blood  curlding scream at me, he was very up set at me.  Anyway I caught him a few nights later sitting on my son's house next door and he swept down at me almost silent.  Haven't seen him for awhile,  cool bird one big mean sucker.  probably killing all the cotton tails we have around the house.  A few  years ago this gal a few miles away had a mtn lion break  into the skirting underneath her mobile home. We tried calling it,  guy's brought out dogs but couldn't catch it.  Dry ground dogs are a lot of work to keep in training and be good at it,  in the snow  or wet ground the scent stays much longer on the ground and the dogs can track way easier.  This particular cat I'm not quite sure what it was thinking.   One of my old neighbors in a different area on the New Mexico border ran lion & bear dogs ,  one day he got too close to a lion and the lion grabbed ahold of his leather jacket while he was getting the dogs off,   pretty much shredded the jacket.  Since lion guy's don't like to kill female cats they let it go.   He had to get rid of these dogs they got too viscous. 

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2018, 05:25:12 PM »
I hear you Zonnie. Where you live I would too. I do need a smaller one for summer. Never been a fan for the inside the waist band type.  In the woods I just carry open.
I have been thinking about a pocket pistol. Most likley a 38.
Mark