Spike Camp

Left handed mark V questions

Left handed mark V questions
« on: May 21, 2018, 09:53:05 AM »
Hello everyone,

As you all can see this is my first post.  I have been scouring the internet for some first hand knowledge about these rifles and to say the least its very limited.  Im in need of a new hunting rifle.  Yes I said need, not want! A true rarity!!  Being a left hand shooter my options are limited and shoulder a left handed rifle before purchase is even more limited.  The accumark and ULW are on my short list in 300wby.  I have read accuracy issues with the ULW in the past due to a thin barrel, but this "should" be corrected with the redesign and moa guarantee?  The 28" barrel gives me concern as well on how it will handle.  The accumark seems like the obvious choice, but the weight is a possible turn off. 

Any insight would be helpful.

-Hardcore

224KING

• View Profile
Re: Left handed mark V questions
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 07:40:49 PM »
If you see a barrel listed as 28 inches it means it has a brake.Remove the brake and barrel is 26.Don't discount the accuracy of the ULW models.I've owned a bunch and have never had a problem finding factory ammo that shoots under 3/4 inch.Most have been 1/2 and 5/8ths inch grouping rifles.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 08:05:15 PM »
As long as you don't heat up the barrel to bad, and find the load the rifle likes, I've never had to much trouble getting an ULW to shoot accurate enough for hunting. My 270 Wby ULW shoots most 130 gr factory and my reloads around 3/4moa, but I had it stuck in my head, that I wanted to shoot 150 gr bullets in it. Well, after 6 years(in my spare time) of trying to get many reloads, and most factory 150 gr loads, I could not get that rifle to shoot under 2 moa with the 150's. It finally sunk into my thick skull, to just use the 130 gr bullets that the rifle likes and go hunting.  ::) ::)

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 04:58:19 PM »
I like the idea of the ultra light with a brake, that can be removed when you want. At least the Ultra Lightweight Left Hand version comes with a #2 mod barrel so heating up the barrel shouldn't be an issue, ( as long as you allow the barrel to cool between shots ) while "some of the Right Hand Ultra Lights" have a #1 mod barrel. The cooling period might be longer for the #1 mod barrel. 
DosEquisShooter

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 09:59:12 PM »
I have 2 Mark 5 ULW. One a wood blued in 25-06 (my 1st Weatherby I bought 20 years ago and that started my love affair with Weatherbys) and the other a newer synthetic in .240 Wby mag. I love the lightweight rifles and yes one does need to wait for the barrels to cool while shooting as they do tend to heat up rather fast. However the light barrels do not seem to affect accuracy as both my rifles are genuine tack drivers as long as I do my part.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 10:19:42 PM »
I ordered it on friday.  Fingers crossed!!!

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 07:52:41 AM »
I have owned 3 ultra lights and they all shot under an inch, one did not shoot good until it had at least 12 shots through a clean barrel, then it was 3/4 in or less. That was a 270 win with #1 mod 24 in barrel. Good luck with your new WBY. By the way you will be glad that 300 light weight comes with a brake.
John

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 05:43:04 PM »
My left-hand .300 Mk V has a 24" barrel - no threads.