Spike Camp

Women and Money

Women and Money
« on: May 21, 2018, 08:40:22 PM »
Decided to start a new topic rather than hijack another.

My wife has this terrible habit of spending almost all of our money on stupid stuff. I say our loosely, because she doesn't have an income producing job. Don't get me wrong, she does a great job taking care of the house and looking after our 6 month old son. But literally every month she spends almost all of the money on stupid stuff, and there's none left for me to buy new guns, gun parts, guided hunting trips, etc. Somehow she's convinced herself that rent, food, electricity, gasoline and the like are worth giving up all the things I think we need.

I really do love her, so I don't want to hurt her. But this has to stop sometime! Any of you long time married folks in the Nation have advice on how to deal with this?
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

Re: Women and Money
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 09:10:08 PM »
Open an account she doesnt lnow about and put a little in each payday this wprks as long as you dont have internet deposits.

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 09:46:59 PM »
WhenI got married my gun collection consisted of 1 25/06, 1 twelve gauge pump, 1 22 pistol, 1 357 magnum pistol. My hunting came to a stop for about 2 years. Her brother gave me a Remington Sportsman 12 gauge and mentioned that it came from her deceased grandfather. She showed great interest in that shotgun, so I bought some low recoil shells for it and she fell in love with it. Partly because it was easy on the shoulder, but mostly because she remembered her grandfather and father loved hunting pheasants and ducks. Money was still doled out for some hunting but not by what I thought was enough. I did some part time stuff to pay for most of my hunting needs, and I always made sure she got some for her "shopping" as well. When our son became old enough to start hunting the hunting fund became better and after he shot his first deer with the 1929 250/3000 Savage he inherited from her father that passed the year before she became really interested in guns and hunting. She got her hunting license 2 years later and now has about as many firearms as I do and her favorite is the camilla we just bought for her. A good marriage is a lifetime long so a few years of patience and promoting the health and financial benefits of hunting is worth it in the long run. We celebrated 34 years of marriage this month.

dixie1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 02:07:02 AM »
happily divorced don't take advice from me!

badsection

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 04:23:32 AM »
happily divorced don't take advice from me!
  +2  LOL!

Weatherby-SL

• Tony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 06:40:55 AM »

My wife has this terrible habit of spending almost all of our money on stupid stuff: Rent, food, electricity, gasoline and the like.

Any of you long time married folks in the Nation have advice on how to deal with this?
If Momma ain't happy - no one is happy!

While she's home raising the family, she doesn't have the opportunity to earn a personal living. Unless and until she becomes employed, buy her something she likes, wants or needs, each time you get a new firearm or shooting implement. And it doesn't even need to be commensurate in value, so long as she is happy with it. Or perhaps a nice dinner and time out away from baby.

Now-a-days, at nearly 71, my wife and I are on separate social security. Gun-buying is sparse for me but the concept still works very well.   8)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 06:42:27 AM by Weatherby-SL »

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 06:55:10 AM »
Lol, so your saying you don't want to live in house, eat food, have lights and air conditioning. No  gasoline to go hunting?
Am l getting this right?
Your young married with a young child, enjoy it, there will be time for hunting

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 06:58:28 AM »
I had a similar problem when I first married my wife after the children started show up. She had way too many store credit cards( Sears, Montgomery Wards, JC Pennys ) I took the cards and cut them up and told her NO MORE  and took complete control of all finances. I then slowly taught her about the economics of running a house hold with out going bankrupt. This didn't happen over night and took several years for her to understand what needed to happen but she finally caught on and now controls all of our finances with no problems. She will now squeeze a penny till the copper wash pops off.
OH yeah and we have been married for 49yrs. ;D
But from the sounds of your post she is not the problem just work more over time and squirrel a little each week so you have some play money.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 07:01:37 AM by truck driver 2 »
TD

zonie

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 12:28:35 PM »
39 years with this wife , the first one didn't like guns so that didn't last.   Train your wife to be a hunter get her involved.  That's a two edged sword she may really like it and you may create a monster which isn't a bad thing just be careful what you ask for.   I agree be patient with her.   Take the kids out hunting no matter what age,  they may stay in camp with mom or grandma,   I carried mine in a back pack  like an Indian cradle board.  Teach the kids  gun safety and how to hunt at an early age at this point mom will probably / hopefully want to get involved even if she doesn't want to hunt.  My wife did not come from a hunting family but she took to hunting like a duck on water in her prime very hardcore hunter.  We really haven't bought beef  in any quanities for almost 40 years mostly because we like elk meat, every now and then deer, antelope & buffalo.   Today she's  about ready to give up any hardcore hunting because of age and  after breaking her ankle dragging out our sons bull elk 2 years ago it still hasn't healed completely.  I think she will still do easy hunts mostly for elk because she likes the meat and it doesn't cost us a lot.    Here's my thoughts on buying guns my wife has never put any restrictions on either hunting, shooting or buying guns,  I always told her it's a good investment and when I kick the bucket sell them for a lot more than we paid,  they only increase in value, they are going to go to the kids,  good argument anyway.   Buy her diamonds and then go buy yourself a new gun.  When in doubt go buy one anyway and get chewed out later.  I have selective hearing,  I mentioned I was going hunting don't you remember.   Mine does the same thing I have to go down to the valley for a girls shopping trip ,  so let her she deserves it.   If all else fails I don't know what to tell you. 

This is what not to do !!!   I was by myself  racking a round in a 10 mm colt delta elite I and had an accidental discharge  that was a first for me.    I told her about it when she got home and she got pissed  because it shouldn't have went off.  My son came over later and I told him what happened and my wife was there and she told me to go buy a new SAFER gun.  MY son and I looked at each other and my wife knew right then she probably shouldn't have said that.  Now I'm looking at a new Sig P365, Beretta PX4 storm sub-compact or Springfield Armory XDE .   We were in the valley and found a very nice used  beretta storm for a very good price but I passed because I need to see the new Sig p365 which the local shops still haven't gotten in yet.    About a week later an older friend did the same thing with a 1911 in 45.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 01:15:40 PM by zonie »

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 03:17:01 PM »
I've been happily married for 14 years, and I wouldn't trade her for nothing.  She accompany me when I went on my safari in Africa, and put the pressure on me that we wouldn't go home until I had a kudu in the salt.  LOL!!!!  A few months back she told that I had way too much empty wall space and that we needed to go back to Africa.

I also have a separate acct for fun things, trips, vacation, Weatherbys, etc, etc.  LOL!!!!!
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 03:38:31 PM »
Yes I am lucky to have one of those missus's that doesn't care if I buy a new rifle or not. Just as long as she gets to come along when we go to shoot it lol.
Aussie gun nut.

badsection

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 04:40:51 PM »
Personal relationships are the same as any other business deal. Are you getting out of this deal what you are putting into it? Cost versus benefits!   Cold? Experience!  :) When it becomes or always was more one sided than it should be, time to move on!  The first time trust is broken, move on!

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 07:47:04 PM »
Haha. Thanks for the advice.

Honestly it was meant to be a light-hearted joke. My wife and I are very happy. She does a great job taking care of the house, finances and our son. I even get a small allowance each month to spend on reloading supplies or save up for a new gun. I can't complain at all. I just spent $2k getting that Remington 700 all fixed up. hahaha!
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 07:02:10 AM »
Yeah if l remember right you got a 300 in a accumark not long ago, and now building a 25-06. Poor guy, how can you stand it 😂😂

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 12:15:18 AM »
Yeah if l remember right you got a 300 in a accumark not long ago, and now building a 25-06. Poor guy, how can you stand it 😂😂

It's a tough life!! She just OK'd the purchase of a new gun safe. The one I have is pretty crowded. The new one will have lots of space. It will probably look too empty...