Spike Camp

South Africa

dixie1

• View Profile
South Africa
« on: June 03, 2018, 07:40:06 PM »
Made it back. Had a great time. Most shots were 250 range. The worst parts were the flights back, South African air was shut down due to bad maintance the day before we got there(not a bad thing) so we were driven down to Kimberly, no big deal but the flights back were horror! Cemair took over for South Africa air. No one knew who they used for security for guns. after a 2hour search they were found at the SAPS import office at Johannesberg airport. Got them and off to Delta no big deal. In Atlanta i go to customs to get the guns and now i get really pissed off. I had yes had a new SKB case but i now have a SKB case with a Muzzle sticking through the side (the plastic is in the muzzle) and the handle the case does not seal right now at the handle. Got a claim started as soon as i landed at the final destination.  Now i get to go to the range and test fire to make sure the guns and scopes are still good and not damaged.
 As far as pics need to resize to fit here too big. Camera was set at 24meg for pictures.

dixie1

• View Profile
Re: South Africa
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 08:00:48 PM »
The blk wildebeest was a good one horns dipping below the eyes and going just above the bosses. 250 yards hit him a little high, broke both shoulders and spine, had to finsh off with PH's 9mm. Gemsbok was a nice mature male perfect horns. The Zebra had a nice mane to him. Blesbok was not a bad one. Warthog tusks were just above average size but with 3ft+ grass cought him drinking one morning 260 yards and hit him in the snout facing me. 168gr ttsx used on all and worked great. Only 2 did not pass through. The warthog and Gemsbok. Gemsbok was more then 1/4ing away hit far back going forward and it dropped right there.

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 08:22:17 PM »
Congratulations on being able to go on safari.  It was always one of my goals.  I acquired the necessary firearms/calibers, but then my vision went to poop.  Maybe my Sons and Grandsons can go for me someday.  Two of my friends have gone on plains game hunts; one of them, just last summer.  All he took was his .30-06 on a 98 action.  He had this god awful huge 56mm front glass Trijicon scope on it that was utterly amazing in low light.  He shot everything with I think, heavy Noslers.  Some animals required two shots, but he got everything he shot at.  The other fellow took a .280 Remington on a lightened 700 action, that shot amazing.  He had it custom built by some really good gunsmith/shop in Houston.  I loaded all of his ammo for him.  He too, got everything he shot at.  I think it is sad that the airlines often bang up the firearms in transit.  I almost think they do it on purpose.  Again, I am happy for anyone that can make the trip to Africa.  MM

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 09:24:08 PM »
Good to hear you had a successful hunting trip. Even with the not so successful travel arrangements. I too believe the baggage handles deliberately target rifle cases just because either they are anti gun/hunting or they just want to see how tough the cases are. I know a bloke that pulls his rifled action out of the stock and places it in a smaller case that he has marked "Musical Instrument handle with care" and reckons it has never been mistreated.

I am off to South Africa in September. So can't wait. Will be chasing Cape Buffalo, Blesbuck, Nyala, Duiker, Steenbuck, Bushbuck, Bushpig, Impala and Baboons. 
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 09:46:40 PM »
Good to hear you had a successful hunting trip. Even with the not so successful travel arrangements. I too believe the baggage handles deliberately target rifle cases just because either they are anti gun/hunting or they just want to see how tough the cases are. I know a bloke that pulls his rifled action out of the stock and places it in a smaller case that he has marked "Musical Instrument handle with care" and reckons it has never been mistreated.

I am off to South Africa in September. So can't wait. Will be chasing Cape Buffalo, Blesbuck, Nyala, Duiker, Steenbuck, Bushbuck, Bushpig, Impala and Baboons.

Better pack your guns in a Tuba case. ;D
That will be quite the hunt.
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

dixie1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 12:25:47 AM »
That will be a fun hunt good luck!!Better luck with your case then i had.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 12:38:52 AM »
That will be a fun hunt good luck!!Better luck with your case then i had.

Cool thanks. Yes unfortunately I don't have a smaller case to put mine in like I said before. I do intend to get one made though. One that will fit two dismantled rifles.
Aussie gun nut.

dixie1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 06:25:47 AM »
blk wildebeest 250 yards broke both sholder and spine. had to finsh off with ph's 9mm

dixie1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 06:35:19 AM »
gemsbok was close to 130 yards, zebra was 275+, bleasbok 240 and warthog 260 facing me, shot that one in the snout.

badsection

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 06:39:37 AM »
Very Cool!   :)

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 06:55:33 AM »
Gun haters know what's in those cases and go out of their way to treat them ruffer than all other items.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

dixie1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 07:06:22 AM »
Gun haters know what's in those cases and go out of their way to treat them ruffer than all other items.
True, but it takes effort to do this!! new skb double case.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 07:14:27 AM »
Dixie, Congratulations on taking a fine stable of African game. 300 Wby? Too bad about the baggage being treated so badly. Wouldn't surprise me if some of those guys(big guys)loading the baggage, are just pissed off because their working in the heat and hate their jobs.(the only jobs they could get) Anyway, glad you had a successful hunt and maybe you can give some details about what all went on during your stay. Were the shots 300 yards and under by design?(per PH) Good shooting on all game. Congrats!
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 07:16:46 AM »
Congrats on your hunt. What guide did you go with? Terrible about the rifle case. I would also contact SKB. I have always used Pelican cases and they are pretty beat up but never a catastrophic failure like you had.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.