Spike Camp

South Africa

Re: South Africa
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 09:01:52 AM »
Very nice photos Bruce. Looks like the hunting was great. Sorry about your trouble with your case. That must of took some doing.
Congrats on great hunt.
Mark

badsection

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 09:24:35 AM »
I would much rather prefer that the case and possibly the gun get fubar on the way home and not the way too a hunt!   :)

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 05:08:40 PM »
Was that all high fenced?

How was that experience in your opinion in general?
Anything you really liked and/or really didn't like?

Congrats on the trip!

agreed on the case... who cares if it's still in tact and protected the rifles. that's character, etc... they're built tough for a reason.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 05:11:30 PM by HuskyMusky »

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 06:13:10 PM »
Looks like you had a great trip
Congratulations

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 07:13:55 PM »
Congratulations! What a trip!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2018, 07:37:00 PM »
Congratulations on a fine safari.  That Blesbok is a stud! Hopefully your rifle didn't suffer any damage!   How about posting a little more detail of your safari.  ;D
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

dixie1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2018, 04:21:25 AM »
The rifle that went through the case, can't believe no damage to it. It is a mossberg 1500 in 300 win mag. My Mark V deluxe now there are some small chips in the finsh. Both guns shoot good and scopes are good. pain to do the form online to get claim going now.

The outfitter was Trophies Africa it was 25mi from Kimberley in Boshof. Yes this was high fence 30,000+ acres. We got it at a D.U. dinner for 2 on 1 hunt for $1000 total $500 each. $1000 toward animals. The accommodations were great. Food could have been better(i have a cooking degree too picky). I can live on Gemsbok that is great eating. Hunting was mainly done on a side by side. A couple of mornings sitting at a water hole for the warthog. Ended up getting the warthog coming back to a water hole we passed.He was looking at us at 260. Shot him in the snout.They had a good wet season grass was almost 3ft all you could see was the tail in the fields.
 The black wildebeest was 250 yards the week before closest they could get was 350. hit high broke bothe shoulders and spine. finshed off with the ph's 9mm. The 3 of us had a hard time getting him loaded up he was a heavy one.
 The gembok was more then facing 1/4 away hit far back going forward it dropped right there. The hair never rasied up on it. The ph was worried it didn't die.
 The zebra was fun screwed the shot was low at 275. Ended up chasing it for 3/4 of a day.
 The Blesbok was shot on the neighbors ranch.Doug and Armen were great. It was about 240 on the the shot. My buddy was using my Mossberg to hunt with, South Africa frowns on semiautos and he only has a Browning bar the he got passed from his grampa, to his dad to him. He also got a nice  Blesbok.
 next day we went after his Kudu. took quite awhile to find a nice 1 for him, after we got him on the way back stopped at the happening bar in Boshof lol. yep as we were drinking in walks Doug and Armen good time and good people. party was set up for Thursday night.
 warthog was shot thursday so at night it was party time up to 3am playing screw the neighbor. We had a apprentice PH in camp. She did a good job. She needs to learn to speak english more when working.
 It was a good time. i would go back. The taxidermy they use is Africa's best texidermy. Work looks good but will be haveing it all shipped home to get done. Will be using one in Michigan that my buddys dad told me about. He does all his mounts. Fair price good work.

Before we were dropped off we went and seen the big hole in kimberly. It is a big hole lol but it was where diamonds were first found in south africa and where Debeers diamond comapny was formed. Not bad to see. Did learn how they mined back then.
 The property we hunted they are fighting the diamond mine right now. 25 years ago the test drilling proved positive for diamonds. That would destroy the property for them.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 04:29:29 AM by dixie1 »

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 07:05:48 AM »
A great trip.Thanks for the Picts and details.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 07:24:03 PM »
That is a great looking kudu, I really like how wide the spiral horns are.  Congrats!!!  BTW, the kudu is my favorite antelope. I wouldn't mind having a wall full of them.   ;D ;D
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

zonie

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2018, 12:35:12 PM »
Very nice ! 

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2018, 05:17:23 PM »
Nice work. Some great trophies and memories right there.
Aussie gun nut.

dixie1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2018, 06:32:57 PM »
Final total of damage delta did.
had to have the Mossberg 1500 recrowned.
the Zeiss conquest 3x9x40 scope damaged beyond repair.
Mark v Ok swarovski ok.
Case ruined. Will be sending them the total monday morn.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2018, 06:42:32 PM »
Yep rip it up them. They need to start learning that just because they don't like firearms they don't have the right to try and destroy our expensive tools.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2018, 12:44:24 AM »
Congrats on your hunt. What guide did you go with? Terrible about the rifle case. I would also contact SKB. I have always used Pelican cases and they are pretty beat up but never a catastrophic failure like you had.

+1 on pelican case, mine look rough, and had quite a few locks go missing off them, but never a problem with the firearms in them.

Rob

dixie1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2018, 03:33:22 AM »
Since i will be getting a new case i will look at pelican. Only have a cheap case that can fit the length of a 26 in Mark v with a magnabrake. As far as the SKB warranty they will cover up to $1500 that the airlines won't cover. Only at about $900 inculdeing the case.