Spike Camp

Half ass free float job of the year.

Half ass free float job of the year.
« on: June 09, 2018, 10:33:56 AM »
I just bought this used Rem. 700 300 win mag.
Williams gun site has 10% of all used guns intill sunday. Anyway. I could tell in the store the stock was flimsy at the forend. But sense i planned on restocking it anyway i wasnt concerned. And i had suspected it was something like this because it had alot of play in it. And easly passed the dollar bill test. So when I took it apart I seen he had used A old credit  card to shim it up for the full length of the stock. I might put it back to see how it shoots. But sense he sold it im guessing not so well. Lol
Mark

badsection

Re: Half ass free float job of the year.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 10:53:32 AM »
You never know till you try!  Working repair for most of the 30 years with the telco, I saw some crazy stuff that defied any logic.

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 11:03:39 AM »
I would have to put it back together and try it. While l waiting for the new stock to arrive 😜

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 11:20:37 AM »
That's a fairly common trick to see if bedding and floating will help, usually temporary but what the heck if it works and the stock isn't worth putting money in it go with it.
John

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 11:26:28 AM »
If it works it works.lol
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 03:49:23 PM »
I have done the same thing. Although he should of used a card that didn't have raised lettering. Anyways, I done it to see if floating the barrel would help and then when I tested it the rifle shot so well I just left the plastic card in place. It is still there today. In fact I have done it to two identical rifles, both Remington 700 incidentally lol.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 07:32:24 PM »
Hmm...I fail to see what that is supposed to accomplish. There are different things that are accomplished by pillar bedding and glass bedding...this would accomplish neither of those items.

I have seen people use a lighter weight resin to fill that void in the forend to make it stiffer and less “flimsy”.
JK

zonie

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 12:11:47 AM »
I've had to make temporary fix's like this on friends rifles in the field where the action actually rocked in the stock and bound up the bolt when action screws were tightened,  no big deal correct it when you get to it as long as it cycles and doesn't start walking shots. 

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 05:42:04 AM »
I’ve never had that issue in the field or with anyone who had that happen. That is very unusual.

I subscribe to the bedding methods put forth in Richard Franklin’s video “Stress Free Bedding”, although my pillars are a little different. Same basic concept...
JK

zonie

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 11:22:13 AM »
Both these guy's bought well known rifle scope combo packages.   One in 30-06 the other in 7mm rem mag,  both rifles bedding was so bad when tightening the actions screw it bent the action to where you couldn't open the bolt.   The other had the same problem the action screw were so loose just to get the bolt to cycle,  in his case accuracy was beyond terrible.  The first friend was an elk killing machine  with an old Jap Arisaka  converted into a 6.5 x 257 Roberts,  but knew squat about guns, so he decided to upgrade supposedly just before elk hunting,  he sighted it in and tightened all the screws,  bad idea he should have taken it out and tested the rifle with the screws tight to make sure everything was good to go.  First day of hunting  we kick out a nice cow elk and he jammed his rifle so bad it bent the cartridge in the action,  I sat there next to him looking over telling him to shoot  the elk while I wasn't understanding he had a gun problem because I was sighted in on  the elk  anyway I had enough of sitting there holding the leupold 2.5 x 8  on the elk with  my trusty old pre-warning Ruger 77 in 270 win and rather than let the elk just walk away I shot it.   After that fiasco another friend  the first time I hunted with him,  I will bet you he shot 12-14 shots at an elk,  we were probably 1/2 mile away from where we dropped him off,  and I just had a gut feeling it was our friend and thinking oh my god  he's got a whole herd down.  We had to drive back over to where we dropped him off oh yea it was him without any elk.  I asked whats the deal you shot enough he said man I could not hit anything and the herd ran off.   I put a paper plate on a tree at 25 yds and I missed the whole tree anyway we found the stock bedding was so bad  the action screws we all loose as a goose and when tightened it locked the bolt up unable to move.   I wasn't confident in his weapon  I would deal with it latter we needed to go hunting not screw around with a rifle at that moment he wasn't exactly happy with it anyway.  My wife had already shot an elk that was bedded down I let him use her rifle (my old trusty Ruger 77)  Later that day we kicked out a small herd and he finally got one and that was another story in itself,  it was a frekin disaster,  I had loaded nickel brass & 150 partitions all I seen was unfired shells being ejected from the rifle and nothing going bang, and he's running after the herd and I'm following picking all the shiny live rounds on the ground, then he re re-loads from the butt stock shell holder and does the same thing,  he ran out of ammo 14 rounds 5 in the gun and 9 in the shell holder,   finally I caught up to him and handed him a shell and he fired getting the elk,  I couldn't believe it.  I probably shouldn't have  ragged on him for shooting so much earlier in the day,  I tell you it was elk fever to the max,  never seen anything like it.  Anyway I'll bet he still has that cardboard match box still under the recoil lug in his rifle.  Some people just assume everything is fine , have the gunsmith just bore sight it and call it good.  It ain't right but how this world is with some people.  One of them got cancer and drank himself to death , and the other we lost contact after I asked him to accompany me on a bull hunt,  and a few days before the hunt he had some BS reason not to go.   That didn't bother me so much what did bother me was AZ bull hunts aren't exactly easy to draw in primo hunt units which this was.   
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 08:43:27 AM by zonie »