Spike Camp

Prairie Dog and Prairie Dog not on drugs But

Prairie Dog and Prairie Dog not on drugs But
« on: June 14, 2018, 02:17:13 PM »
Prairie Dog and then Prairie on 204 Ruger  :o
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 02:52:48 PM by terminator »
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

DW5

• View Profile
Re: Prairie Dog and Prairie Dog not on drugs But
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 03:44:31 PM »
A prime example for why you should avoid the Devil’s Lettuce.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 04:03:30 PM »
That'll teach those doped up dogs  ;D
Aussie gun nut.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 04:54:56 PM »
The 204 looks like a perfect PDog round
Mike

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 04:48:47 PM »
Very Nice !   How was the trip ?  Double meaning there  ;D

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 07:17:19 PM »
I'll post some more Picts and some more about the hunt tomorrow when I get on the computer.Cell service sucks in weather here and I keep getting kicked off and can't load any Picts.
Roger

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 11:29:44 AM »
Our hunt was with Pahapesto Guide Service in South Dakota https://huntbadnation.com/tags%2Flicense-info . Great guys, friendly,nice lodge,an over abundance of good food at every meal.Mother nature messed with us some but you cant control that. First day of hunt we woke up to rain. We made a 1 hour drive to try to find an area with  no rain  but to no avail. Pdogs are not out in any rain or usually even if it is cloudy and stormy looking. We went out at 2 to hunt that day. A full day of hunting the next day and then on the last day we hunted until 10 when the rain came back. We were able to get back to hunting at 4:30. On the second afternoon I spotted a head that had stripes at 300 yds in a mound. Yep badger, there were 2 but would only occasionly play peekaboo. Never got a badger and wanted one bad. I spent a lot of the afternoon checking to see if they came out. I did no shooting any where around them an didn't shoot at any dogs where the shot would go over their den. We loaded up shooting benches guns etc at 8, and as we were doing this, Jay our guide, told me to get my gun because you could see one .He wasnt showing much but I shot off the truck hood and we all heard the bullet thunk.We went to check  as we were leaving and he had made it into the hole. I will attach a pict of the mound and hole.They have a tunnel dug I so they can come in from
the side withut going over the top.Bones all around. We both shot 600-650 rounds. Best shooting should be better earlier in the year but he was booked up early for next year and all through the dates we were hunting this year. Attaching a few picts of what the area looked like also. Beautiful country.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 05:02:30 PM by terminator »
Roger

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 01:29:03 PM »
Sounds like a good hunt despite the weather. Pity you didn't get your badger.
What distances were you hitting the Pdogs at Roger?
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 01:55:12 PM »
Are you sure you didn't use your .257 Mag Roger...…….the little .204 vaporized those dogs.
Thanks for bringing us along on your trip

Terry
Ontario,Canada........yours to discover

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 04:23:53 PM »
Brett:My farthest kill was slightly over 650 yds going by the 46 clicks of elevation on my scope with a 200 yd zero.Not a lot of these kills. ;D The wet conditions made it really hard to spot your shots to make adjustments.
Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 07:43:39 PM »
650 on a PDog is some great shooting
Mike

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 01:17:17 AM »
650 yards on anything is good shooting from my point of view  ;D
Aussie gun nut.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 06:05:45 AM »
Great shooting Roger. Were you using hand loads or factory ammo, and which bullet(brand) and what weight grain did you use? For me to make a shot like that, I'd need the Hubble Space Telescope mounted on my rifle :)
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 09:44:39 AM »
Dan: You would have no trouble after you did it a few times.I use 15x50 IS binoculars for finding them initially and then the problem is moving the table and gun to find them thru the scope with the narrow field of view if you are shooting much magnification on the scope.I had a bunch in tall grass this time that you could only see when they stood up.I would take the scope down to 8x to find them and then dial up the magnification to shoot.This new Shilen barrel shoots the Fiocchi factory 40 vmax so well that I have not even developed a load for it.I was already shooting these in the AR so it worked out good not to have to take different ammo for each gun.I bought 5500 rounds at a real good price and when I sell the brass it is as cheap as I can reload for and that is not even taking my time into consideration.
Roger

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 03:28:22 PM »
And that means more time for hunting.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.