Spike Camp

Just got my 1st Weatherby

Re: Just got my 1st Weatherby
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2018, 08:16:53 PM »
That's good news I won't have to lap the Talley rings! I just worry about getting the cross hair's perfectly aligned. Any tips on that?

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2018, 08:22:48 PM »
Best option I've found for "every now and then" scope mounting is to level the rifle, and use a plumb line hung down at the other end of a hallway or in a big room. If you have a cleaning cradle or vise, use that to hold the rifle still/steady once you get it leveled. I've used a variety of levels over the years, but the easy option is a small torpedo on the action bridge if your bases allow it. Go ahead and check the Talleys with your scope - it should sit right in with no resistance or yaw in the mounts. If theres any ill fit, lap them. When you get ready to mount your scope, sit it in, get the eye relief right, and then partially tighten the top ring halves (use a cross pattern just like wheel lug nuts, turning the same amount so the ring tightens level and doesnt pull on the scope radially) so the scope is still moveable but not just sloppy moveable. Once you get it right, use half turns of the screws in your cross pattern and check the scope for movement as you go.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2018, 07:32:14 AM »
What Dubyam said: only I just shoulder rifle, let it sit level in the palm of support hand and line up vertical cross hair on something plum such as a door frame. Done many dozen scopes this way.
John

« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2018, 08:35:09 AM »
+1 on everyone saying talley rings (I have one piece talley rings).  Great design as it seems to have little room for improper mounting.

I also recently got my first weatherby and had the opposite problem as you-- mine shot to the right (by a lot).  I ran out of windage adjustment also.  Most users in weatherby nation agreed that the scope was the problem, but there may be a rare chance the action is off center.  Chris338378 gave me the idea of using a torpedo level to check the action screws (which I am doing after work today) to see if they are centered.  I have not been able to diagnose the problem yet, but weatherby customer service told me they would be happy to check the rifle out for me it i send it in (I heard it would be exceptionally rare for the problem to be the rifle).

Congrats on the new rifle-- looks awesome!  In my limited experience it seems one cannot go wrong with a weatherby.  Even if the my problem is the rifle... I still don't think I'd buy anything else at this point!!!

« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2018, 10:21:39 AM »
I will keep everybody informed when I get my scope back from Leupold.