Spike Camp

Just got my 1st Weatherby

FiredawgBill

Re: Just got my 1st Weatherby
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 12:42:10 PM »
Thanks for the tip! I will give it a shot at 25 yards first. I'll report back after the range. Unfortunately, I have to wait until next Sunday.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 09:01:11 PM by FiredawgBill »

FiredawgBill

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2018, 03:24:39 PM »
Happy Father's Day everyone!!! My wife got me 2 boxes of Nosler 150GR Accubond Long Range Trophy Grade for Father's Day! Hopefully, I'll be able to try it out on a hog before I leave Florida. If not, I'll be ready when I get to California. Anyone have any experience with this round?

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2018, 06:59:14 PM »
Not with that particular round, but I do use Accubonds a lot. I run them in a .308win, 2 257wbys, and a 270wsm among others. (All those are Weatherby rifles) I think they are great rounds, I have yet to run an accubond through a Weatherby and not have it shoot sub-moa. I also think they are excellent hunting rounds. In my opinion, an almost perfect combination of weight retention/energy dump.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

FiredawgBill

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 08:31:11 AM »
I just called Weatherby to find out exactly what model Mark V I have, because I have been finding some conflicting info. They couldn't tell me what model, even with the serial number. It has an H prefix, so we know it was made in Japan, but that's it. Anyone have a clue from the stock in the pictures? It has the Weatherby end cap on the bottom of the grip, and no markings on the floor plate. It's not a huge deal, as I'm just so happy to have a Mark V. Although I would like to know which model. My 130GR Weatherby SP ammo came in today, so I'm hitting the range Sunday :)

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 06:36:23 PM »
Congrats and thanks for your service.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

FiredawgBill

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2018, 10:49:54 PM »
After reading lots of posts on here, I decided to really give the barrel a good cleaning. I cleaned the bore when I first got it, but didn't do a deep clean. I thought I had it pretty clean, but I was wrong! I just spent 35 min cleaning the crap out of it, and it looks new. My 130 gr SP's came in yesterday, and the 150 gr accubond's came in today, so I will have 2 different rounds to try. Now I'm broke, but happy! Sunday won't be here fast enough!!!

Oh my, it's soooo sexy :)

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 09:12:56 AM »
The 130 gr. SP's have been solid cup and core performers as far back as the J. O'Connor days, but premium bullets are winning the race these days. The ammo you eventually end up using will largely depend on what your rifle likes best, and which one you feel like gives you an edge. Kind of a campfire discussion) SP write up:

Weatherby G270130SR Norma 270 Weatherby Magnum Spitzer 130 GR 20Rds
 Weatherby proudly loads the Norma Spitzer. The Spitzer bullets are made by Norma of Sweden a company renowned for the high quality of its products. With 60 percent weight retention, the bullets are suited to a wide range of hunting applications.(May be Norma USA now, not sure)
DosEquisShooter

FiredawgBill

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2018, 09:51:52 AM »
I guess my next purchase will be 140 gr accubond's, hopefully my rifle will really like one of the three.

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2018, 12:23:10 PM »
After a thorough cleaning like that be aware you may need a couple of fouling shots before the barrel settles down. I would try the 2 you have now before getting the 140's. Good luck.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2018, 01:58:32 PM »
great looking rifle,  8) and great caliber(I have 3, 270 WBY's  ;) )  I don't know what brand of after market stock it has, but as long as it fits both you and the rifle well, it looks alright.

After a thorough cleaning like that be aware you may need a couple of fouling shots before the barrel settles down. I would try the 2 you have now before getting the 140's. Good luck.

I agree with what Roger posted,  also since your moving back to California, you might want to try the factory Barnes 130 gr TTSX load. I found the old factory 130gr TSX load, accurate in all 3 of my 270 Wby's.

If you dont reload, and just use factory ammo, keep all your once fired empty brass. With a little research, there are people who will buy Weatherby brass for $1 a piece,  and it helps offset the cost of shooting factory ammo.  8)

Rob

FiredawgBill

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2018, 10:53:10 PM »
It doesn't look like an aftermarket stock, as it has the Weatherby end cap? How would I be able to tell?

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2018, 11:00:24 PM »
How about pictures of the Weatherby end cap?
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2018, 12:17:45 AM »
How about pictures of the Weatherby end cap?

+1 ,  I never seen a factory weatherby synthetic stock with a straight cheek piece before, all had the monte carlo design stock. But there is a first time for everything.

Rob
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 02:39:13 AM by catskinner »

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2018, 03:02:49 AM »
now that I think about it, some of the Mark V Alaskan's might of had straight cheek piece stocks, but the action, receiver and barrel was nickel plated.

Rob

FiredawgBill

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2018, 10:33:17 AM »
That's exactly what I found, was the Alaskan stock looks like mine. I will get some pics when I get home from work.