Spike Camp

Side by sides vs Tomcar

zonie

Side by sides vs Tomcar
« on: June 21, 2018, 05:50:32 PM »
Looking at possibly buying  a Side by Side  Utv or Tomcar .   I need something for hunting not terribly fast 40 to 60 mph ,   4 seater,  with a small bed for spare tire, chainsaw , deer & elk.   I looked and test drove the Honda Pioneers, Polaris Ranger and Yamaha Viking and so far we like the Yamaha the best,  Haven't driven the Kawasaki or Tomcar yet.   www.tomcar.com   the Tomcar looks awfully nice.  Any input will be much appreciated.  I might even buy a good used one if the price was right. 

Re: Side by sides vs Tomcar
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 08:00:06 PM »
I sent your link to a friend of mine that studies all those kind of vehicles and he figure the Tomcar will out last a Ranger by quite a bit the way they are built.
Wonder why they don't have a 4x4 or did I miss that?
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 08:35:06 PM »
I would want a 4wd to climb over downed limbs,trees,rocks etc. easily.If the Tomcar didn't have that it would be a deal breaker for me.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

zonie

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 08:36:18 PM »
Big Muddy they do have  a 4x4 on the electric versions.  I don't know why they don't on the regular versions,  they have 15 " of ground clearance and the little I've read they very tuff.

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 08:45:23 PM »
My Yamahas have been very dependable.  Can't say the same for Polaris.
BPH

zonie

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 09:03:26 PM »
Roger  anything that would climb up and over downed tree's  and big rocks would sure be nice.  Brandon has a set of 40 " swampers on his 1975  Ford  elk mobile that he also uses for mud bogging races.   All one ton or bigger axles with 538 gears with a top loader 4 speed with granny.  Currently he has a built 351 which I don't think has enough power to pull thru the trench with red clay clogged tires.   He needs a bigger motor in it something that just grinds and slings mud without digging a deeper hole.   he has a bored 460 sitting on the engine stand ,  just has to put it together.  There is something about being light weight with power that seems to go well going thru mud.  Got a little Toyota straight axle with huge tires  sitting in the yard that he is planning on dumping a built small block in it with the idea of going so fast to just skim over the mud.  We are not talking purpose built Nitro boggers these are street legal hunting vehicles  that the local guy's put together and have fun.   Years back we had reservation cow tags  and shot one not terribly far from the road a buddy of mine with a nice TJ Jeep with 33's tried driving in  and  high centered on a log to get to the elk.  Now we have a downed elk and a stuck jeep.   I went back to camp and got his  old 75 Ford and he dragged the elk to the road,  the problem was he doesn't have a tail gate on the truck and on an incline getting back on the dirt road he popped the clutch and the elk came sliding out and knocking me out of the way with a dead elk hoof giving me quite a bruise.  Funny at the time but sure hurt the next day.   

Greenhead I kind of agree I've had problems with my Polaris Quad  in all honestly it's a 1999 so I would expect some issues being as old as it is,  mostly carburetor problems, this is no sh-t I just bought on e-bay a brand new 42 dollar replacement carb and the thing actually works at least so far I can't see how anyone could build this type of carburetor for 42 bucks.   We also have  2003 Honda Quad that just keeps on going,   knock on wood , we don't abuse them by launching them like some people.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 09:25:12 AM by zonie »

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 09:51:59 PM »
The Tomcar looks really interesting, and appears to be well engineered and thought out.  A number of years ago, some hunting friends of mine did all manner of research, and ended up buying a used Suzuki Samurai for their "ATV" ranch/hunting vehicle.  It was a fiasco.  When it ran, it was GREAT.  But that was not often.
 Couldn't find parts, always down, couldn't find anyone to work on it.  They gave up on it after a couple of years.  I almost bought a Pinzgauer a couple of years ago for $10K, the 4x4 version, but it was just a little bit bigger than I could use.  AND, I worried about getting it serviced, so I passed on it.  It is a military ATV used in Europe, made in Austria.  I wish that Jeep would make a barebones, no frills "mini-Jeep."  Say about the size of a Samurai, or a little smaller.  I bet they would sell boatloads of them.  MM

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 09:53:01 PM »
I have a Honda Pioneer 1000-4 Limited Edition and I absolutely love it.  The 1000cc engine and i4WD make it incredible.  I can't say enough about it...plenty of power, great transmission, and great offroad.  No buyers remorse what-so-ever.
JK

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 10:05:31 PM »
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 10:53:26 PM »
OUR CONTACT DETAILS
We value your questions and comments, so please take a minute to send an e-mail and one of our TOMCAR® representatives will get back to you promptly.  Maybe?
DosEquisShooter

zonie

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 10:54:20 PM »
Big Muddy .   That's pretty cool.   A diesel cj ,  jeep should have been doing that a long time ago.   Musicman here's your jeep.    I agree the samurai's if you keep the maintenance  up are pretty nice,  a friend of mine who passed away about 3 months ago had one and our mechanic friend kept it in good shape for him.     I'll have to check out the Kabota. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 11:10:48 PM by zonie »

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 11:01:00 PM »
The Mahindra looks VERY interesting.  I also just checked with another friend; he has a Kabota RTV900 that he is very fond of, and uses almost daily.  MM

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 02:42:58 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=httu317hdoQ

This is pretty cool actually, I like the diesel, I wonder if it has locking diff's.  8)

Rob

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 07:28:48 AM »
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 07:07:16 PM »
The Roxor is interesting. I found this review on it. https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-the-mahindra-roxor-compares-to-a-1948-willys-1826771078
You gotta love those older military Willys jeeps.
DosEquisShooter