Spike Camp

300 Weatherby Mag

300 Weatherby Mag
« on: June 27, 2018, 03:16:55 PM »
Hey all,

Looking for advice or wisdom...

I recently purchased an Accumark in 300 Weatherby magnum (no accubrake yet).  I shot it for the first time over the weekend and I was less than impressed... I would say I was even disappointed with it for a $2000 rifle (which left me confused because it is hard work to find bad things about Weatherby rifles online).  The gun was cleaned before I shot the first time, after the 3rd shot, and 6th shot with ample cooling time in between (that's as far as I got because the scope needed adjusting).

I was not able to test accuracy because the rifle is not sited in yet, but I will assume it is an accurate gun.  My concerns were:

1. the gun kicked so hard it was knocking the batteries out of my ear protection (I wear $300-$400 peltor ear protection).  I am not a small human at 240 pounds, so it wasn't awful to shoot, but it wasn't necessarily pleasant to shoot either-- especially compared to my dads Browning BAR II Safari in 300 win mag. 

2. The action.  When I would load the magazine well 3 + 1 in the barrel, the rounds in the magazine well wouldn't stay down and the bolt kept getting stuck on them when I tried to close it.  After the bolt was closed, they cycled and chambered okay, but not smooth either.

I was shooting HSM berger VLD in 185 grains, not sure if that info is relevant, but I am trying to provide all the information I can.  I feel like I am stuck with an expensive gun that's a little disappointing, but I am HOPING there is something that I am missing.  I feel like I should sell the gun and go with something else, but I will lose so much money.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 02:46:47 PM by drtony »

Re: 300 Weatherby Mag
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 07:10:26 PM »
I'll try to help you out here. 

1)Comparing your bolt action Weatherby to the Browning BAR II isn't completely fair because the BAR is a gas operated semi-auto which all semi-autos tend to have less felt recoil because of the operating system of the action.  Also keep in mind that the .300 Weatherby uses more powder and has more pressure which also translates into more recoil.  I haven't fired any HSM ammo so I can't comment on if that's "hotter" than other ammo. 

2) The issue with the bolt hitting the top round in the magazine box will happen every time unless you load it this way
         1) load the rounds into the magazine
         2) load a round into the chamber by tipping the muzzle down and dropping the round into the chamber
         3) press down the top round in the magazine box causing the rounds to go deeper into the magazine box
         4) close the bolt

If you don't do it this way the bolt will always try to strip off the top round from the magazine box to feed it into the chamber.  This is not unique to Weatherby rifles, it will happen with any bolt action rifle.  Something similar will occur with pump and semi-auto rifles also but that's a different topic. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 07:37:58 PM »
1. Install the break. Weatherby says they reduce the felt recoil by up to
53% and the guys who use them on here seem to back that up with real world experience.

2. Reach around with your left hand and gently press down on the 3 rounds in the magazine and use your right hand to guide the bolt forward over the still pressed cartridges till it closes smoothly. This really shouldn’t  be a huge issue since just about every time you’ll want to load to max capacity probably won’t be “quick fire” situation.

As far as the action’s smoothness, if you’ve never worked a Mark V, they can definitely feel rigid until you get used to it. Remember it’s the strongest bolt action in the world. It’s absolutley okay to put a little grit into working it. I personally feel once you get used to the Mark V, they are actually pretty smooth.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 07:57:01 PM by DW5 »
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

257 Shooter

• 257 Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 07:58:31 PM »
I'm not sure why we jump immediately to criticism when a rifle is performing exactly as designed. Chris338378 is exactly right about how to load a bolt action rifle. The recoil is that of a 300 Weatherby. Please be patient and enjoy.

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 08:07:34 PM »
I appreciate all the replies!

I did figure the automatic action of my dads would absorb some recoil. So I will agree with you that it’s not a fair comparison.

I will definitely try that loading method, you both described!

I wouldn’t necessarily say I am criticizing the rifle— it’s a beauty and work of art and I really do love it. I think I might have had different expectations when I hear people say “smooth as glass” and what not!

I also think that if I had it sited all the way in and were shooting sub MOA groups it’d prolly erase some of the felt recoil!

From what I could gather in my research prior to purchasing this rifle, 300 WBY has roughly 4 lbs of extra punch in recoil (considering all variables are the same) as compared to 300Wm.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 06:58:27 AM by drtony »

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 09:31:45 PM »
I have an Accumark in 300 WIN that shoots handloaded 212 gr bullets with 75.5 grains of powder. Average MV is about 2830 fps. While probably still lighter than the 300 Wby, the recoil is quite noticeable. Knocks me out of the scope every time. But it's not so bad that I won't put 20-50 rounds down range every trip to the range. My rifle, scope and load combo will shoot sub 1/2 minute, if the shooter does his part. I'm sure yours is equally capable.

The Accumark is a well crafted rifle, but it is a bit light for shooting heavy, fast moving bullets from a bench. If the recoil bothers you, add a brake. Then those $300 ear muffs will get to show their true value. The more you shoot it, the more accustomed you'll become to the recoil, and working the bolt. The 54 degree bolt lift took a while for me to get used to. Now I can run it like a champ.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 09:44:24 PM »
That’s a pretty gun, looks a little familiar though  ;)

I have the expensive ear protection because I’m only 30 and already wear hearing aids due to some congenital hearing loss. For that reason, I won’t even hunt without hearing protection (I can actually hear better with high quality ear muffs than without them anyway lol). That’s a reason I haven’t put the accurake on already— I hear it’s crazy loud. With a 10-12 week wait the accubrake will have to wait until after hunting season if I go that route. 

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 12:58:31 AM »
If you are worried about your hearing then I would suggest not having the Accubrake installed and instead try to learn how to handle the recoil.You said you have used your dads semi auto 300 win mag but as others have said that type of rifle is a complete different style for recoil. If you have not used any other heavy recoiling rifles then that is a major part of your problem. Perhaps you should start by using lighter 150 grain projectiles and practice with those while standing and using some shooting sticks. Then you will be able to roll with the recoil. Which one cannot do whilst seated at a bench.
Maybe even use a rolled up towel or some other sort of extra padding on your shoulder to help soften the blow.
But one other thing also is that some people find the Monte Carlo style stock that Weatherby's have either increase or decrease felt recoil. I find that it greatly reduces my felt recoil. My UltraMark in .300 Wby Mag kicks me less than my Winchester M70 SuperGrade in .300 Win Mag. Same as by Brno ZKK 602 in .375 H&H is uncomfortable for me to shoot yet my Mark V DGR in .375 H&H is rather tame.
Aussie gun nut.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 08:27:07 AM »
If you haven't already tried one, you might get some recoil relief from a Limbsaver Air-tech slip on recoil pad. I put one on my Marlin 30-30, that kicked like a mule, and it tamed the recoil. After putting it on, I felt the push back on my shoulder, but no pain. It can also be used on other rifles.

https://limbsaver.com/pages/recoil-pads-showcase
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 08:41:52 AM »
Danno50 that is something to definitely consider, thank you!

BB340, shooting a lighter load was exactly what I had planned for my next range visit-- hoping to get out there Friday.  I do have a question about lighter grained rounds.  In my dads 300WM (for ideal ballistics in big game hunting) he pretty much has to shoot in the ball park of 200 grains when we elk hunt.  My understanding is that a lighter grain wby will perform the same or better than a higher grain WM (for example a 180 gr wby will go faster and hit as hard as a 200 gr WM).

Because the 300 wby is a different animal than the 300WM, can I shoot 180 grains or even 165/168 grains for elk hunting? When I say elk hunting, I am really talking about some of the harder shots to make. 

I know that shot placement is everything and what not, that a 243 can down an elk, but I am hoping to steer clear of that conversation.  I am also trying to steer clear of the ethics part of taking long or hard shots at animals, as I would not take a shot I am not confident in (part of the fun in hunting is "the hunt" not necessarily lobbing shots at long distances or hard angles.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 08:51:36 AM »
Also, I had planned on selling this Weatherby and buying a Browning x bolt pro LR in 300 win mag.  That plan is no longer in action due to you fine folks.  I will definitely keep my Weatherby, "be patient and enjoy" this rifle.  I love that it is faster and hits harder than anything the 300WM can shoot... reason enough to learn the nuances of this rifle and how to handle the recoil better.  Also, I cannot quite explain it, but there is something about a Weatherby that  just has an "x factor".  When I looked at the browning x bolt pro at cabelas-- it was a nice gun, but I kept thinking to myself "its not a Weatherby" which made it seem sub-par!!

You all rock on this Weatherby nation forum-- thank you for all your help!

Now I have to start a new thread/topic asking about my next Weatherby rifle (smaller caliber for more local deer hunting)!! Hope to see you all there!

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 09:45:23 AM »
drtony since you mentioned your looking for a smaller Weatherby for deer hunting. My suggestion would be a 257, 270 or 6.5-300 Weatherby.  But then again the new 7-378 Weatherby is going to be announced this Fall, so maybe you should start saving and join me in ordering one. A 7mm is smaller then a .308 you know!!!
Doug

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 09:47:42 AM »
I would want something that kicks less than m 300 wby... doesn't mean down the road I can't get a 7-378 :)

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 09:52:06 AM »
I currently own 5 Weatherby rifles and to check accuracy I have always started my range work with the ammo that Weatherby suggests in the FAQ's section of the website. I like to know which weight and bullet design my rifle likes best (in general) before I try other premium ammo, as the .99 MOA guarantee is first with Weatherby ammo and then with other premium ammo. With the Wby ammo the scope is the only thing you have to tweak to get tighter groups and you'll know what ammo your rifle might like or dislike.   But thats me.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 10:59:55 AM »
Don't worry about using a lighter bullet for elk, I know a guy who has shot dozens of elk with his 300WBY and 150g partition WBY factory loads. Personally I have killed over a dozen elk with 130g part. in 270's.
John