Spike Camp

Booked a Javelina Hunt

DW5

• View Profile
Booked a Javelina Hunt
« on: July 04, 2018, 10:57:50 AM »
On the recommendation of Cbloom, I have booked a javelina hunt for my dad and myself this upcoming winter with West Texas Hunt Org. Never been javelina hunting before, so I am excited (does feel odd to be gong to hunt an animal I’ve never even seen though).

I went with their option of having an entire ranch all to ourselves. A caretaker will meet us in town and we will follow him to the ranch. Once there, he will give us a quick run down of where he has been seeing game and after that it’s 2 1/2 days DIY. The ranch we are hunting is supposed to have a decent desert nig horn and Aoudad population on the back half. Assuming this hunt goes well, I will look into an Aoudad hunt.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

Re: Booked a Javelina Hunt
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 11:21:37 AM »
Congrats and good luck on the hunt.It is always fun to hunt something new and in a different area. Javelina are pretty tasty.Will they let you nite hunt for the javelinas and predators?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 11:36:24 AM »
Sounds like you and your Dad will have some fun having the run of the place. Do they furnish a cabin and any accessories?You might ask if they'll have feeders running, just to be on the safe side. I would suggest that you take at least 4 bags of corn(or more up to you) so you can corn the roads in the areas the guide advises to hunt. If the hunt is in the El Paso area, you may be in the mountain time zone, but not sure if your going that far west. They have bad eyesight, just don't make to much noise. The ones I've shot had sharp tusks, and normally weight about 25 to 35 lbs.(older adults can get to 50+ lbs.) They run in groups, their not solitary. You'll be on private property, so is there a limit to the number you can shoot?
DosEquisShooter

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 01:15:38 PM »
As far as the night hunting... IDK? Good question. I would kinda assume no, but I may ask.

Danno, on some properties they do furnish lodging or a spike camp. On this particular one, for this hunt, they do not. We can either set up our own camp or get a room in Presidio. I believe we are still just on the edge of Central Time. The owner of the operation says it is watered and fed year round but encourages us to bring extra corn. As you suggest, we will be asking the caretaker where he recommends spreading it. Our limit is two apiece.

I am thinking this hunt is right up the 240 Wilderness’ ally.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 01:17:16 PM by DW5 »

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 02:33:38 PM »
If you are able to I would corn some roads and go after the Javi’s with archery equipment. They are not horribly hard to sneak up on for a shot with a bow. We usually trickled it on either side of a sendero. That makes corn go a lot further and you usually will get many stalk attempts if they have the numbers. If you spook a group go back 100 yards from where you came from,wait and start all over. If you do end up using archery equipment when you take a shot try to get as much arrow in them. They are not huge critters so penetration isn’t a big deal. So if you get one quartering away or towards you severely, other than a buckeye shot let her fly.
I have never shot one with a firearm so sorry I cannot give any good advice for gun hunting Javi’s.
We soaked the backstraps in pineapple juice and make kabobs. They have white meat.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 02:49:43 PM »
Sound like all you guys have eaten them before. I like your kabobs idea Chris. Danno, Roger, how’d y’all cook them up? Seems like there is a wide array of opinions out there concerning javelina meet, from “its worse than boiled rat” to “ it’s actually pretty good if you take proper care while butchering and preparing.” Just hearing all that makes me want to try it and see what all the fuss is about.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 05:12:56 PM »
Sounds like a fun hunt to go on. Reckon that .240 will sort 'em out real good. Best of luck.
Aussie gun nut.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 05:25:37 PM »
Sounds like a fun hunt to go on. Reckon that .240 will sort 'em out real good. Best of luck.

Thank you B.B.!

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 06:28:36 PM »
That 240 should work great. Mine were with archery on the King Ranch.We cooked them on the pit just like we do our wild porkers.Slow cooked with a good rub.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 08:32:41 AM »
As with any animal skin them and get them cool goes along way for better tasting meat.   Beware of the scent gland on the rump  it looks like a nipple you can't miss it, don't cut into it  skin it off with the hide.  If you want to mount one skin accordingly your guide will show you where to cut, unless you are good at caping I would suggest letting someone who knows what they are doing cape it for you.  Normally for a shoulder mount we cut about half way back completely around the body and skin the animal foreward until we reach the base of the head then remove the head with the front half of the hide and wrap in plastic and put it in a big ice chest  for travel so the taxidermist can cape the head for you.  When in doubt ask your taxidermist exactly what he wants done and you are up to the task.  I have a shoulder mount in the trophy room and it looks pretty cool.   Our Arizona Javelina are no different although we try to shoot bigger males they are usually 50 pounds and larger.  They are not hard to kill our regulations require bow & arrows, muzzleloader rifles and handguns,  general weapons of 5mm rimfire or 22 magnum rimfire or centerfire rifles and handguns, pre-charged phuematics 35 cal or larger, NO shot shells or standard rimfires.    One of our favorites is a 32-20 caliber rifle as it doesn't tear up the meat too bad as any of the high velocity rifle calibers.  If you get close enough any of these iron sighted  handgun calibers is plenty powerful enough 38's, 357, 9mm, 40/10mm, 41, 44, 45's especially with hard cast non expanding type bullets.   Yes I've shot them with 243's and it tears them to pieces if you hit them in the shoulder or ham's.  Eating Javelina I give them away although one of our Mexican lady friends makes a mean tomales out of Javelina and you can also BBQ  or make chile out of them and they are are at least editable.  Javelina will generally run , but occasionally especially around mama's and babie's they can get a little testy with you, we were hunting New Mexico for turkey and my son had a small herd of Javelina get aggressive and up and personal with him at shotgun barrel length so they were within 28 inches from him, close enough where he could hit them on the head with the shotgun barrel,  he just about shot one before they decided to move off.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 11:02:35 AM by zonie »

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 11:19:36 AM »
I may never get to hunt Javelina but I sure enjoyed you post Zonie, I could really envision a hunt. :)
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 06:47:19 PM »
Sounds like a helluva good time. Hope you have a blast.
Some like cologne, I like the smell of gunpowder.

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 04:54:49 AM »
Javelina are a blast to hunt! The 240 is a great choice. Go get em and best of luck....but most of all - have fun!
Ken 
Respect the game, respect the hunt.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 08:54:28 AM »
Thank you Klong!

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 01:00:38 PM »
DW5
Good luck on the hunt with your dad, you both must be off the wall excited. The .240 sounds like a winner.
Any thought of bringing the .270 WSM just to mix things up.

Terry
Ontario,Canada........yours to discover