Spike Camp

Vanguard question

Outlander

Vanguard question
« on: July 06, 2018, 11:02:31 AM »
Does anyone know the tourqe specs on the action screws of an older Vanguard?

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: Vanguard question
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 11:48:54 AM »
That will depend on the stock material.  Generally speaking, wood is good in the 40in-lb range, usually, and synthetics with aluminum bedding need about 60in-lbs, usually.  Injection molded stocks (the "plastic" stocks with mold lines on them) usually respond best to somewhere in the 25-35in-lb range, but watch for stock deflection as it will happen with these frequently and will degrade accuracy.  I've gone to "hand tight plus half a turn" for tupperware stocks, generally.  If you find things loosening during shooting, go a little tighter next time.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 02:48:05 PM »
Another thing you can do if the screws start to work their way loose is to put a drop of the removable Lok-Tight (the blue one) on the screw threads, that'll keep them from coming loose.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

Outlander

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 05:43:56 AM »
Thanks, took the stock off my vanguard and couldn’t find any info

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 03:05:12 PM »
+1 on those torque values. I don’t have any experience with the earlier Vanguards but my S2 likes the rear screw tightened first.
Duane