Spike Camp

Bean Counters Be Damned

Bean Counters Be Damned
« on: July 06, 2018, 01:35:40 PM »
I need some advice and have to vent a bit.  I absolutely hate, loath, and detest these damn bean counters.  It never fails when you find something good the damn bean counters have to get the bright idea to stop making it. Over the past few years the victims of the bean counters that I know of personally are the Hornady .338 200 grain spire points, AA3100 powder, Remington's 8mm Remington Magnum unprimed brass (you have a better chance of finding golden hen's teeth and I refuse to pay the crazy price Nosler wants for it), and now the General Grabber AT2 tires to name just a few.   

I have to get new tires for my truck and my wife's Ford Escape, should be simple right.  NOT!  I called the tire store and found out that some bean counter had the brilliant idea to stop making the General Grabber AT2's.  They said they're replacing the ones for my truck with the Grabber A/TX's, which are ten ply tires, and are only going to make the APT's, which are sunny dry road tires in my opinion, in the size for my wife's Escape.  I liked the Grabber AT2's a lot because they lasted, I didn't have to remortgage the house to pay for them, were aggressive, and I don't have to worry about her getting stuck with the kids somewhere since we need since we don't get plowed out for a day or two after it snows.  I don't need ten ply tires since I don't haul a lot of weight and can't see spending at least $40 or more for a tire.  What are you guys getting for tires that are aggressive that aren't mud tires, aren't ten ply, and don't have to remortgage the house to pay for them.  The sizes I need are 275/65R18 and 235/70R16.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

Re: Bean Counters Be Damned
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 02:58:08 PM »
I run275/70r18 BFG All terrain T/A KO2'S on my Chevy, great price at Costco but no 8 ply anymore which I prefer because of the smoother ride. I think you have to go down to 16 inch to get 8 ply but the wheels won't fit the newer trucks because the brakes are too big.
John

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 03:50:36 PM »
I recently bought the BF 265/70R17 Rugged Terrain tires at Walmart for a good price. I get a discount there anyway but the price was right.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 04:00:39 PM »
I'm running the older BFG TA KO (the original) on my 2011 Titan Crew Cab 4x4.  I'm at 42k on them right now, and foresee them ending up somewhere around 57-60k.  That's pretty good in my book for an aggressive tire on a 4800lb truck, doing mostly stop and go driving.  Mine are E-load range, and I think that has something to do with how well they wear, as I believe they are tougher, generally.  I don't notice any ride difference, except that towing heavier stuff is much improved over the p-series OEM tires (in the same 275/70R18 as these KOs).  When I replace them, I'll likely go back with the newer KO2, or I may swap up to a more aggressive tread if I find something I like which I think will last.

In your size, I'd strongly consider a good all terrain from BFG, Hankook, General, or Falken.  There are different options at various pricepoints.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 04:12:55 PM »
I have Coopers on the pickup that will get you just about any place you want to go and Michelin on the Equinox the wife drives. The Michelin are cheaper then Continentals. 
TD

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 04:48:34 PM »
I have Coopers on the pickup that will get you just about any place you want to go and Michelin on the Equinox the wife drives. The Michelin are cheaper then Continentals.

What Cooper's are you running?  Has anyone ever used Treadwright tires, the AT Wardens look nice and aggressive.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 05:01:01 PM by Chris338378 »
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 07:20:36 PM »
I use BF Goodrich All terrain KO2's on the light trucks(1/2 tons), all the heavier trucks get aggressive heavy mud tires.

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 10:03:57 PM »
You may try calling around at some Mom and Pop tire stores in the area, to see if they have a set of what you want gathering dust on the rack.  And so many times, I too had FINALLY found an item that was perfect for what I needed, and then the bean counters discontinued it.  Good luck.  MM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 02:37:06 AM »
I run Firestone most aggressive AT, and have chains.
I put more miles on the road with snowpack or ice than l do off road or in deep snow and mud
Cooper and General make good tires, just seem to have more flats and don't get the mileage that l get with Firestone.
Mike

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 05:40:16 AM »

What Cooper's are you running?  Has anyone ever used Treadwright tires, the AT Wardens look nice and aggressive.
Discovery A/T 16" on my GMC 2500. They got me out of a very sticky situation out in Montana last fall when the snow melted and the forestry road thawed out. Rocky Mountain mud is slicker then snot and I didn't have chains. 
TD

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 05:49:57 AM »
Chris, I've got Cooper Discoverer A/T3's on my Megacab Ram. Whatever you get DON'T BUY CAPITOL TIRES. I had three of them have ply separation on my Idaho trip last year. My truck must have looked like the station wagon going down the road on Chevy Chase's Vacation movie after it made that jump in the desert. PIC
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 05:55:38 AM by godscountry »
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2018, 06:30:11 AM »
Chris, I've got Cooper Discoverer A/T3's on my Megacab Ram. Whatever you get DON'T BUY CAPITOL TIRES. I had three of them have ply separation on my Idaho trip last year. My truck must have looked like the station wagon going down the road on Chevy Chase's Vacation movie after it made that jump in the desert. PIC
Don't know if mine are the A/T3's but they have the same tread design, just need to keep them rotated for good wear.
TD

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 02:44:01 PM »
I broke down and bought another truck recently so Iíll keep the factory tires till they go but before I was running the Cooper A/T3s and thatís most likely what Iíll go back to when itís time for new ones.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 02:16:26 AM »
Friends are running Cooper discoverer not full on mud tires e rated on 3/4 & 1 ton dodge ram 4x4's,   they seem to like them.  I bought a set of El Dorado kind of a Cooper clone or so I was told at the tire dealer and I hate them they hop down the road on 3/4 ton Dodge ram.  The old set was Michelin AT's good long running tires 70K miles but not so good in snow.   My 95 Bronco hunting rig and daily driver has BFG TA KO2's  to me they are a little softer compound than the original TA KO's,  pretty decent off road tire again not a mud tire and the new ones snow rated with that softer compound and additional sipes.   I really don't think I ill get the milage out of these as compared to the older KO's.   Had Toyo AT's and everyone I know that had them on the diesel Dodges  wore them out and got rid of them The Toyo Mt's were great in the mud ,  believe it of not my son buy's military hum-vee take offs for his elk mobile,  16.5x37" goodyear wrangler,  I tell you if I put 16.5 inch rims and jack up  my dodge that's the tire I would buy.   
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 02:18:15 AM by zonie »

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 07:51:16 AM »
Zonie: I have the new KO/2's and they are lasting way better than the old style. I got 30,000 on mine on Chevy 1/2 ton, a lot of 80 mph and off road on sharp rock roads. Still have about 2/3 tread.
John