Spike Camp

High BC Bullets in 257 caliber

High BC Bullets in 257 caliber
« on: July 06, 2018, 03:52:00 PM »
I've loved Quarter Bores since I took my first deer with my uncle's 25-06. But it seemed like they were always lacking in premium bullets for long range shooting. 257 WBY is a great cartridge with so much potential, but is hampered by relatively low BC bullets. Until now!

https://blackjackbullets.com/about/?v=7516fd43adaa

I've only just heard of these guys, but I like what I see so far. If anyone has a 257 WBY they've been wanting to shoot a little further, these bullets just may be the ticket.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

BB340

• View Profile
Re: High BC Bullets in 257 caliber
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 03:57:56 PM »
Yes I seen that just the other day. I too am a big .25 cal fan. My first Weatherby and serious rifle was a 25-06 I bought when I was young. Still have it too. I also have 250-3000, 257 Roberts and 257 Wby.
I seen that article on facebook and I asked if they would be able to ship to Australia but got no reply.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 04:24:14 PM »
But they need a fast twist barrel to stabilize them so that's a $400-$1000 additional cost depending on barrel and gunsmith. Read more about 25 cal bullets on  www.longrangehunting.com

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 04:48:33 PM »
But they need a fast twist barrel to stabilize them so that's a $400-$1000 additional cost depending on barrel and gunsmith. Read more about 25 cal bullets on  www.longrangehunting.com

If you teach your children a love for fine firearms, they won't have money for drugs and alcohol.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 05:11:41 PM »

My Mark V lightweight in 25-06 is due for a new barrel so that's what I was looking into and a rechamber to .257 bee.... But then I would have to buy another 25-06, oh well them's the breaks  ;)
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 09:55:34 PM »
When the Sierra 80 gr. SMK's first came out years ago, in .224, I am thinking they recommended at least an 8" twist.  I had a 8 1/2 twist in my match service rifle.  I called them up and asked about that, and the fellow said that "if I drove them fast enough, they would work."  I only used them for the 600 yd. stage anyway, which was fine since they had to be single loaded since they were too long to run through a magazine.  My load ended up being "warm," but still safe in THAT rifle, and VERY accurate.  The same load in my backup rifle with the same exact barrel, showed signs of pressure with slightly flattened primers and a little cratering.  At one match with near 100 degree temperatures, I had two stuck cases, my last two shots, which I did not like at all.  It is rather embarrassing to have a stuck case at a match.  Everyone thinks that you are a dumb-ass.  I never used that load again in the backup rifle.  But anyway, with the velocity potential of the .257 Weatherby, is there a chance that they would stabilize with the standard Weatherby twist.  I am just asking.  I would assume that the smaller cased cartridges mentioned would for sure need a faster twist.  I am just asking.  MM

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 07:38:31 AM »
I have a 250 Savage I bought new in 2010, and it would not stabilize the Nosler E tip or Hornady GMX or any other monolithic tipped bullet. I had a new Shilen 1:9 twist barrel installed, and it shoots everything fine now. Cheaper than a new rifle so much easier to convince the wife.

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 11:45:56 AM »

I only noted this for those who may think all is good when shooting heavy bullets with with a standard twist barrel. I realize there are a few exceptions Like my 243 Ackley with a 1 in 9.25 twist will shoot 105 and 115 grain bullets fine. Rarity indeed.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 03:34:17 PM »

I only noted this for those who may think all is good when shooting heavy bullets with with a standard twist barrel. I realize there are a few exceptions Like my 243 Ackley with a 1 in 9.25 twist will shoot 105 and 115 grain bullets fine. Rarity indeed.

It's a  valid point. Bullet makers are making bullets now with high BC and heavy for caliber but, you may have to build a custom to get them to shoot and it may be a single shot because they won't feed thru your magazine
Mike

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 01:31:37 AM »
You can almost always make something better ,  with that said how far and to what expense do you want to go with it.  Take the 270 win  for instance  great caliber , but hardly any match heavy  weight bullets that can carry the distance once you get past certain yardages to ensure the bullets are still supersonic at that distance and then you still would have to build a barrel with faster twists, then you have powder issues and honestly I doubt there would be advantage over other calibers that have overall better match performance and horsepower needed to cleanly dispatch an animal over exisiting calibers out there.   Take the 6.5 for example it's a resurrection of the old war horse calibers of the late 1900's.  Funny how we have gone full circle from the tried and true 6.5mm x55 mm swedish mauser and a handful of other 6.5 military cartridges that have been long forgotten in military circles and now we have the 6.5 creedmoor   which I have both, the 6.5x55 currently is loaded to the weakest actions so in a modern or even an older stronger action I see no advantage of the creedmoor other than it's something new.   In all honesty I know guy's running match 6.5x55 Ackley improved rifles that will run circles around the creedmoor, so where is the avantage unless you have a built rifle, powders that improve performance, and custom bullets to take advantage of all the other things and with all that you may not have the horsepower at the long ranges to do what you want it to do, unless a person just want's to punch paper.   I run into decisions everytime I elk hunt ,  is our 257's really up to the task ? and yes we and other friends have killed elk with them , but not at really long ranges, these big animals deserves more from us.   I got friends building 25 x 300 ultra mags oh yea they shoot really fast and accurate to a point with full on custom 30 " barrels,  the issue is lack of match bullets and powders.  The guy's talked to a powder company a the shot show a few years back and yes powders can be designed for a cost and that cost is not exactly cheap.   The good thing is newer canister grade over the counter  powders have been coming out the last few years  which is a good thing.   I'm not being a nay sayer I totally like seeing what can be done and continued improvements are necessary, but I also think to make it work  timing is everything unless a person has really deep pockets , and companies take  an interest to invest their time and energy in the project.   
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 01:49:57 AM by zonie »

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 04:49:40 AM »
Worth looking at. Thank you for the info!
Ken 
Respect the game, respect the hunt.