Spike Camp

Copper fouling in a new barrel

Copper fouling in a new barrel
« on: July 07, 2018, 01:03:56 PM »
Any how many rounds so you put through a new rifle before you start worrying about copper fouling?

I kinda sorta did what Weatherby recommends for barrel break in for about the first 15 rds. Since then I've put about 80rds down the tube of the 300 and scrubbed it after every 25 rds or so. Should I be cleaning the barrel more often than that? Shooting standard cup and core bullets.

Re: Copper fouling in a new barrel
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 01:31:40 PM »
I usually clean my rifles after every time out. I do usually hunt in the jungle so rust is a major concern.

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 01:57:12 PM »
If the copper fouling isn't hurting your accuracy, just do a light cleaning. Some rifles shoot a lot better with the copper fouling left in the barrel.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 02:49:33 PM »
After using EEZOX for a good number of years I don't worry about Copper build up much. It almost seems like it doesn't build up anymore. I know it still does but it's miniscule as to what I have seen on patches. NOTE.. I do Not use monolithic bullets.

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 02:51:16 PM »
If you did what the Weatherby break-in procedure outlines, then I agree...just clean it when you get back in for the day.  Surely, cleaning every 25 rounds is adequate...you could probably go 50 rounds before cleaning it...especially with a .300 Magnum.
JK

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 04:09:22 PM »
Got it. Thanx fellas!

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 06:05:08 PM »
Watch for your accuracy to go away.I can go 50-75 shots on most of my rifles with cup and core bullets.I shoot the monolith copper bullets in the Mags and copper clean after 30 rounds.As noted a squeaky clean barrel does not always shoot the best.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 07:16:52 PM »
As noted a squeaky clean barrel does not always shoot the best.

Most of my rifles seem to shoot the best with a slightly "dirty" barrel.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 07:18:00 PM »
As noted a squeaky clean barrel does not always shoot the best.

Most of my rifles seem to shoot the best with a slightly "dirty" barrel.

Big + 1
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 12:48:46 AM »
You can ruin a barrel by cleaning improperly and too often.  Every rifle is different when is the last time anyone actually cleaned their Ruger 10/22,    I mean really cleaned it ?  When accuracy goes away then clean it.   I'm not one for getting every little bit of copper fouling out of a rifle everytime I go shooting.   Sometimes when I'm testing I can tell if the accuracy starts going away, then of course it get's a good cleaning.  I have rifles I may only shoot once every 2 or 3 years so why would I need to get it absolutely spotless if it's shooting good ?  In this case I'll dry brush the junk out of the barrel maybe put a slight coat of kroil down the tube and put it up for another 2 years, but I do live in Arizona so it's not exactly going to rust ,  I might get cob webs in the barrel but rust is not usually an issue where we live.   If It was wet all the time and humid then you need to take precautions for rust and other things.  Yes I've tried the barrel break in and am not a big believer in it,  just don't getting it cherry red hot and blaze away and never clean it.   I do load some pretty hot loads and I do use pure copper monolithic bullets in  some rifles they just foul faster than gilded metal bullet jackets and even these can foul barrels.  You get a little tiny bore diameter shooting 3600 fps it's going to foul faster than your trusty old 30-30 shooting low 2200 or so fps with a 170 grainer.   
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 12:55:12 AM by zonie »

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 01:49:36 PM »
I almost alway run a couple of wet swabs with Hoppes #9 down a barrel after range time. Letting it sit in the barrel for 10-15 min and then scrubbing with a nylon brush removes plenty of gunk and copper residue without leaving the barrel copperless. That is a likely way to reduce accuracy. A bit of copper in my barrels hasnít caused accuracy to drop.
During deer hunting season I leave the barrel fouled until Iím done. I punch out the gunk just so it doesnít hold moisture next to the barrel. All my rifles minus one shoot better with a fouled barrel vs a clean one.
IF accuracy goes south and all other controllable variables are good (such as the scope base and rings are tight, receiver bolts are tight, stock / barrel clearance is good, and the scope is adjusting right),then go for a thorough barrel cleaning.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.