Spike Camp

If You Were Hunting King for a Day...

DW5

• View Profile
If You Were Hunting King for a Day...
« on: July 07, 2018, 04:43:41 PM »
Heard this question recently. I honestly can’t figure out what my answer would be. The hypothetical  went something like this:

If you were hunting/conservation king for a day, and could promulgate one new rule or change how one thing is done or thought about, what would it be?

You could create a new law, strike down or change an existing one, or somehow magically change attitudes of the general population...

My knee-jerk reaction was... oh, this is easy, I’d make the general population see hunting in the same positive way I do.... but then I realized that might not be a good use of this magic power at all. Perhaps I could set some law in stone that would forever protect wildlife, maybe I could create a situation that would enshrine the North American view of conservation regardless of popular opinion... and besides, I’m sure there are many sportsmen/women out there with a more righteous idea about hunting than what I’ve carved out... I should definitely ensconce their ideas over my own if I were to go that route. Then I realized there are almost certainly 100 ideas better than anything I’m even thinking about...

So, what say you, if you were bestowed this great power?
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

badsection

Re: If You Were Hunting King for a Day...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 05:00:17 PM »
Considering where most of our favorite hunting critters were 50 or 100 years ago, I think we have done pretty good there. Social media and the lame stream press are our enemies, I might change that .   :)

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 05:08:28 PM »
Considering where most of our favorite hunting critters were 50 or 100 years ago, I think we have done pretty good there. Social media and the lame stream press are our enemies, I might change that .   :)
  +1  Excellent question as well.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 07:42:37 PM »
Considering where most of our favorite hunting critters were 50 or 100 years ago, I think we have done pretty good there.

Agreed! However, I worry on a daily basis that our well meaning urban animal lovers are going to love that progress right out of history... :( :(
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 08:50:25 PM »
I know exactly what I'd do, I'd get rid of these outrageous nonresident hunting fees so we could all hunt in any State we wanted and not get gouged for it. All public land belongs to us, the free people of this country, the public. We shouldn't have to save for years to be allowed to hunt public land in any of the United- "States".
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

zonie

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 01:32:23 AM »
Mine is kind of a 2 part answer.   I'd bring back the draft and require all persons mandatory military service for 2 years active duty and 6 years reserve duty, and any person that cannot pass the physical would be required some type of conservation corp or peace corp duty for the same amount of time.   For hunting I'd require everyone to hunt some type of game each year and eat it whether it's birds, or mammals pick your choice.   We have a country that has lost respect for the basics, get off your lazy behind and off these I phones and go do something constructive.   Maybe just maybe people  might start having an appreciation of what other people have to go thru.