Spike Camp

Wife and I got drawn for Deer AZ 12 B West

zonie

• View Profile
Wife and I got drawn for Deer AZ 12 B West
« on: July 08, 2018, 02:57:36 AM »
Wyoming Hunter :  A good friend got drawn also for deer in the Ferris Mtn's might run into him,  good hunter,  good guy.

I thought my Wife got drawn for the AZ Strip 13 B , we waited for about a week  the credit card got dinged,  I only put her in for 2 choices  to find out she actually got drawn for her second choice 12 B West Late hunt which is a really good hunt also.  I drew an early  12 B West which was the only hunt I put in for and actually a good thing so we can scout on my hunt for her late rut hunt, and we will get to know the area a little better, water holes this type of stuff.   My hunt probably won't be anywhere near a good as her hunt but it will be fun anyway.  This is kind of a weird hunt it sits on the AZ/Utah border just north of the Kaibab Plateau and south Of Utah's Paunsaugunt  which both are known for very good deer hunting.  We've  hunted the Kaibab several times but not to the north in unit 12 B,   from my understanding the deer migrate  when the snows come, the deer move south from Paunsaugunt and north from Kaibab and end up where we are going to hunt.  I guess pray for snow and hope it doesn't because the roads get absolutely muddy.   Last year a guy we know took a 190 in there and the rest of his small group took 200 class deer,  I'm pretty sure they were using guides.  I'm almost afraid the first big deer she see's is going to be over,  some of our guide friends and they have been in there a few times basically told us don't even shoot the first 200 class deer you see wait for the 230's and 240's,  like that's going to happen,  I'm hoping they will be able to go up with us but they got a hunt going on for themselves.   Not many tags given out on these AZ late hunts.    Of all the hunting places in the US that hold world class deer,  the Kaibab,   the AZ strip  unit 13A & 13B , AZ 12B ,   The Henry Mtn's in Utah, the Ferris Mtn's in Wyoming and some places I've been told in Idaho can hold some really large mule deer bucks.  I guess the Paunsaugunt in Utah has some really nice deer I haven't hunted it just what I've been told.  After this last fiasco 2 years ago when she broke her ankle on our son's bull elk hunt she still can't get a pair of boots on without irritating her ankle so this is going to be interesting.  The down side it's the Condor area which means they would like us to use full copper bullets so I'm going to have to re-work up loads,  she will be using the 6.5 Creedmoor I think and I will most likely either use it or my 300 Wby, long shots to be expected.    Anyway we will see how it goes.   We were in Phoenix yesterday 113 degrees out test driving a Kawasaki Mule 6 seater  side by side ,  I think I got her talked out of it.    If you guy's want to see picture of some really big mule deer click on deer hunting the Arizona Strip.   

« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 03:33:22 AM by zonie »

Re: Wife and I got drawn for Deer AZ 12 B West
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 03:28:49 AM »
Good luck!  I've had good accuracy in my 6.5 Creedmoor with 130gr. TSX and H4350 .    :)

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 03:51:16 AM »
I went down and bought some Barnes 6.5mm  LRX 127 grain ,   tipped boat tail ,   sleek looking bullets ,  whether they shoot or not we will see when they open up the forest for shooting,  right now forest closed to shooting,  fire danger and restrictions. 

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 07:44:01 AM »
Congratulations Zonie: My 12b west hunt last year was out standing, 7 0f the 8 tags in two camps took deer that averaged 195 BC gross. WE were hunting out Gunsite road south of Fredonia. The weather was warm but hunting was still great. I past up 3 bucks between 180 and 190 before shooting mine the third day.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 08:17:46 AM by oregonmarkv »
John

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 08:12:28 AM »
Congrats Ron.I sure hope Norma gets a chance at a big un. I pulled up some Picts from the strip. There are some monsters.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 08:31:20 AM »
If you are loading your 300 WBY with non lead for this hunt, the 180gr E-Tip with H1000 and the 180gr. TSX with H4831SC have worked well for me.  Both are sub moa in my Classic Mark.   ;D

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 08:52:19 AM »
Congrats on having been drawn,Zonie! Excellent caliber choices both. Other than friends, have you or your wife or family ever taken a 200 class muley? Thats sounds like its gonna be an exciting hunt for both of you. Since you feel your early tag may not be as advantageous as your wife's, you think you'd shoot the first 200 class buck you saw? ::) ;D   
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 08:52:40 AM »
Zonie: your wife should not have to walk much, it is mostly glassing from vantage points. 15 power glasses and tripod highly recommended. Probably long shooting, we spotted my buck at 900 yds., snuck in to 500 but could not find him where he bedded so went back to truck and drove to another ridge and shot him at 488. The closest buck I passed on was at 320 yds.
John

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 10:22:02 AM »
Congratulations and Good Luck!!!
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 01:20:45 PM »
Thatís awesome! Good luck!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 02:06:10 PM »
Dano I've never taken any 200 class deer,   if I even see a 180 or 190 on my early hunt it's going to get shot at  ;D    to be honest  deer has never been my favorite animal  I much prefer to hunt elk.     Oregonmarkv  congratulation on your great hunt I hope ours will be the same,  were you hunting the early or late hunt ?   I was looking at Gunsight point on the very west side , and also Buckskin mtns  on the  BLM 1065 rd just north of the Condor release sight.   I'm hoping we will scout a lot on the very southern boundry of the unit.   I've hunted a few times on that rd to the south in  Kaibab 12 AE to the buckfarm, the cockscombs, saddle mtn wilderness, east side game trail,  big bucks in there also.  I've also hunted in  Kaibab 12AW and that portion that borders  the southern part of 12 B west  , big deer in there.     I have a close friend who use to guide up there years ago he said when it snows good looking south from 12 BW upon a snow capped Kaibab plateau he said it looks like a vanilla  ice cream cone  with  chocolate syrup running down the cone and the chocolate he was referring to was the deer migrating off the Kaibab down to the base.  Not quite sure where we are going  to camp yet , on my early hunt  we will be doing a lot of scouting for her late hunt so I would imagine we will be all over the place just looking around,  we're set up with quads , bino's , tents, etc.  I have a couple other friends that are very experienced in that area that might go up with us for a few day's if they can get off work.   On a side note I've got 26 bonus point for Antelope  and I'm itching to put in for 13 B  just to get in there and scope out the area of the monster deer,  the problem is 13 A and B are such a hard units to get drawn for deer  like 1 percent draw rate,  I doubt antelope isn't any better but I'm probably close to being on the top of the heap for bonus points so my chances are pretty good for getting a tag the next time I put in,  I know there are some real toad Antelope in there I'm not sure exactly where the current worlds record Pronghorn were taken I think it was a tie at 95 inches with one taken in Coconino county AZ and the other 95 incher taken in Mohave county AZ and I suspect it was in 13 B but I don't know for sure,  I just have that feeling knowing friends have been there and seen monster Antelope.  That hunt I get  real excited about.  My wife doesn't get real excited until she shoots something, and I'm the total opposite I get excited just getting ready for the hunt. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 02:24:30 PM by zonie »

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 02:27:59 PM »
I was on late hunt and it was about 80 degrees on Thanksgiving day when I got there, but was told you got some early snow that caused some deer to migrate. I felt real fortunate to get a 200 in. buck with 29&1/2 in. main frame width. The highest gross buck was 207 but it had lots of points and not a great main frame. I heard there was 4 big bucks taken on the early hunt.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 02:31:09 PM by oregonmarkv »
John

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 02:50:24 PM »
Thanks it's going to be a fun hunt I hope ,  talking with people in the know and even one of my G&F buddies say's the big bucks are still in there just in lower numbers during the early season.  We are going to have to work for it no doubt.   Thinking back on this I probably should have put in for the late hunt as my wife and I both had similar numbers of bonus points, but I thought it might be better to see if she could get drawn for the strip in 13 B ,  this is what I get for thinking too much  ;D .    it's been very dry this last few years and the winters just not the same as in years past.  On the flip side I've been on the Kaibab on early hunts and got driven off  down to lower elevations from too much snow,  seen trailers left and trucks stuck and left  couldn't  get out.   Knock on wood I hope it doesn't snow too much until after the hunts are over.    My wife is actually a pretty good shot she sells herself short sometimes especially on practice shooting  longer distances.   Two years ago on her  AZ Antelope hunt I had her shooting 5 " groups at 600 yds for practice  with the little 6.5 creedmoor.   I have to get her out shooting  as soon as the forest  opens up to practice  these longer ranges.  The longest she has taken was 385 yds on a 6 by elk and that was with her 270 win and that rifle is really not well set-up for long range shooting.  We are going to  burn some powder and bullets the next few months and I need the practice also. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 03:05:15 PM by zonie »

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 04:01:46 PM »
Sounds like she is an excellent shot, my wife is same way gets excited afterwards and she puts me to shame shooting offhand.
John

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 04:45:04 AM »
Best of luck, go get em!
Ken 
Respect the game, respect the hunt.