Spike Camp

Weatherby Vanguard "Select" - any good?

Weatherby Vanguard "Select" - any good?
« on: July 08, 2018, 07:44:43 AM »
Hello - I am new to the forum and did a search on this question, but did not find anything. (Sorry if I missed it.)

I am seeing these "Select" models pop up in Walmarts. Going rate seems to be around $450. Thinking of getting one in .243.
According to Weatherby's website, this is the entry-level Vanguard, but I believe the guts, barrel, and trigger are the same as any other Vanguard. Stock is black plastic/polymer, not wood.
I believe Vanguards are still made in Japan by Howa. (Correct me if I am wrong.)
Curious if anyone has any experience with the "Select" model, good or bad.
Also, can the recoil pads be swapped out with something softer that is already fitted. (Not a slip-on.) I did a quick search, but could not find any prefitted recoil pads by Pachmayr, Limbsaver, etc.
Thanks in advance for any assistance or advice.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 07:46:24 AM by gunsrfun1 »

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: Weatherby Vanguard "Select" - any good?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 07:58:36 AM »
The only thing differentiating the Select from the Synthetic (next step up the cost ladder) is the stock. Quality is, as you've guessed, the same rifle in a cheaper stock.

You could have a pad fit by a gunsmith, or try to find one which is close. To my knowledge, none are made profit for the Select.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

Re: Weatherby Vanguard "Select" - any good?
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 05:56:47 PM »
The select stock is identical to the S2 stock with the exceptions being that it is black instead of grey and the "griptonite" panel areas are not rubberized.