Spike Camp

Hunting in the rain.

Hunting in the rain.
« on: July 09, 2018, 12:17:08 PM »
Never having had to hunt big game in the rain, I'm wondering what effect rain drops may have on a longish shot. 
Any bench rest shooters about that have rain experience??

Weatherby-SL

• Tony
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting in the rain.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 12:41:07 PM »
Long time benchrest shooter. In a 'heavy' downpour it makes a tremendous difference, especially in my 6mm PPC bullet weights.

Hunting-wise, with substantially higher calibers and bullet weights, the difference is minimal, especially if it is a 'normally' light to medium rain.

Out beyond 300 to 400 yards, nearly everything makes a difference, including rain!

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 02:00:23 PM »
Been caught out hunting in torrential down pours here in Florida! You can't see very far even through a scope or binoculars if you aren't under cover. The rapid temp change tends to fog up every optic, including your glasses. Fog plays games with your hearing.  :)

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 02:32:17 PM »
My shots are not long enough to have to worry about weather.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 02:55:52 PM »
I hunted in a persistent drizzle once. It was an odd cross of fog and heavy sprinkles. Visibility was cut considerably so the animals may have been there but I wasn’t able to see them. It was tough even with decent optics to see much past 350 yards.
In my humble opinion those small bits of moisture like I encountered would have minimal effect on the bullet but a large change in what you clearly see.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 07:07:49 AM »
Okay, so I gather that if you can see well enough for a clear shot (regardless of range) then the rain is not something to worry over.

Thanks guys

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 09:00:52 AM »
Pretty much accurate!  Hopefully, you won't have to "enjoy" bad weather while hunting.   :)

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 06:55:52 PM »
I do a lot of hunting in rainy weather. I love getting out after pigs when it rains. I have a dedicated wet weather rifle, it's a Tikka T3 SS in .243 with 3.5-10x40 Leupold scope with flip up scope covers. I have never had the rain mess up a shot over normal ranges, well where I hunt pigs 300 yards would be a long shot.
So I say pack ya raincoat and get out in the wet weather. You will be amazed at how many critters actually move about when it is raining.
Aussie gun nut.