Spike Camp

Mark V serial numbers

Mark V serial numbers
« on: July 11, 2018, 06:53:53 AM »
Why is their two prefixes SS and SB for the Mark V built in 1994-2002? I'm look at buying SB057103 in .257

Thanks,
Robert

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: Mark V serial numbers
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 07:17:52 AM »
I can't say for sure, as I haven't seen an exhaustive listing, but the trend I've seen is for SB prefix rifles to be blued chromoly steel guns, and SS prefix rifles to be stainless guns. That's just a hunch based on what I've seen (several dozen SB and almost two dozen SS rifles), but it makes sense.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 08:37:59 AM »
ok thanks!!

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:53:18 AM »
Well I picked up the .257 yesterday. The outside is well used but the bore looks strong. It has a low end Leupold scope that will get replaced and I will bed the stock or replace it If it looks like it is going to be a good shooter. Here is a picture of it below my Minty Japan built Mark V Deluxe .300 wby and my Gil Van Horn .308 norma mag.

« Reply #4 on: Today at 07:16:20 AM »
I'm wanting to see how accurate this barrel is before start tinkering with stuff so what is the best store bought ammo to work with to check accuracy?

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:40:44 AM »
I wouldn't waste any time trying to bed that tupperware stock. They are too soft, and don't have the aluminum bedding block,just replace it with a Bell and Carlson, that what I did with all my Mark V Synthetic's. As for what ammo to try, every rifle is different to what ammo it prefers, but if I recall correctly, Weatherby uses both the 100 gr spire point and barnes load, and the 115 gr ballistic tip load for their testing. ( you can check for sure at the weatherby website under FAQ's). That would likely be a good place to start.  8)

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Today at 09:12:24 AM »
Good deal! Let us know how she shoots. Like Catskinner said, every rifle is different. A ton of guys on here swear by the 100grn Barnes TTSX. I have a few .257wbys and along with that factory load Iíve gotten consistent sub-moa performance from the 110 Accubonds (both the WBY and direct from Nosler versions) and the 115BT.

If I was just checking rifle accuracy Iíd be real tempted to see how the $40 a box Weatherby Select shot out of my gun. Iíve heard itís pretty devastating on medium sized game too...
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....