Spike Camp

300 wby case life

300 wby case life
« on: July 14, 2018, 04:56:05 AM »
Just purchased a set of RCBS dies for my 300, have seen and read different things online ( if itís on the internet it must be true) what kind of case life are you folks getting out of yours? Do you full length resize? I have never loaded a belted case before, thanks
Not all who wander are lost
-J.R.R Tolkien

Re: 300 wby case life
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 05:30:52 AM »
It depends on whose brass with me. Remington brass is good for 3-4 reloads and Norma/Weatherby brass is closer to 8 or 9.  I full length resize every other re load.   :)

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 06:59:17 AM »
I get similar case life for Weatherby/Norma brass to what badsection describes above. I dont use Remington cases because the only batch of them I tried was horribly inconsistent, and the case volume was so small the starting loads from two manuals were compressed.

I neck size two or three times and then partial-full-length size (just enough to bump back the shoulder and make the cases chamber normally again). Then it's just lather, rinse, repeat.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 03:08:19 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I plan on using Weatherby and Hornady brass.
Not all who wander are lost
-J.R.R Tolkien

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 03:44:39 PM »
I FL size every time. I've gotten 6 or 7 reloads from Hornady brass in 7mm-08 and 270. But with Hornady brass in 300 Wby I'm already getting loose primer pockets after 3 reloads.

I use Weatherby brass in my 257Wby and I'm on reload#8 of this lot.

Weatherby/Norma will definitely last longer but Hornady can give you a few good reloads, just be aware case volume is quite a bit lower with Hornady/Remington cases than Weatherby.

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 05:11:11 PM »
If you have never loaded for a belted mag before be sure to set your sizing die to headspace off the shoulder and not the belt. This will give you much better case life.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 01:19:44 PM »
+1 to what Badsection & Dubyam said.