Spike Camp

Boar Breifly Down then Back Up

DW5

• View Profile
Boar Breifly Down then Back Up
« on: July 14, 2018, 04:59:33 PM »
 Did some pig hunting last night. I sat in my new stand that I  put up not too long ago. This is the first animal shot out of there. As you can tell in the video I was having all kinds of trouble at first getting the scope to pick the pig up. The video actually turned out way better than what I was seeing in real time.  What I was seeing was mostly a black screen.

I realize my problem about a minute and a half and the video. I was letting the corner of the stand block most of the infrared light from being shined out. All of the banging around you hear is me trying to reposition myself fifty different ways to get a good shot off.  The scope’s microphone is really really good. I didn’t sound near that loud to my naked ear. Also, I did not hear the squeals the scope picks up either.

As far as the actual shot, I’m not real sure what happened. Shot felt good, video seems to confirm the crosshairs were where I wanted them...  The bad thing about it was I had to eject my clip from the gun and basically turn it into a single shot rifle to get in a good position to take the shot. So when he jumps up to run all I can do is watch. I searched for sometime but did not recover the pig. There seems to be some good trail cam picks go around too. I’ll try and post those when I get around to going through them.

https://youtu.be/_QYZdzvpf-8
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

badsection

Re: Boar Breifly Down then Back Up
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 05:11:51 PM »
cool video! 

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 05:19:17 PM »
Cool video, if anything the shot was a little to far forward?
Doug

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 05:29:24 PM »
Cool video, if anything the shot was a little to far forward?

Now that I have it loaded up and can see it a little more clearly than on the scope replay (which works great for what it is) I think I agree. On pigs, I do try and take neck shots or farther forward body shots than I do on a deer b/c of a pigs anatomy, but I may have hit the perfect “bad zone” with that shot. Also, forgot to mention in the original post, that particular feeder is 164 yards from the stand.

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 07:52:07 PM »
The video from that scope is very cool DW.Thanks for the post.Looks like you must be in a pretty tall tower stand?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 08:38:55 PM »
The tower for the stand is a little under 5 feet but it sits on top of a small hill.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 08:51:40 PM »
Need a bigger gun
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 09:49:01 PM »
Nice work. Pity about not finding the boar though. But that happens unfortunately.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 11:47:46 PM »
I didn't hear any swearing :o
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 08:21:42 AM »
Nice video and good scope audio. A creased skull shot will cause that reaction, but yours is "definitely not a head shot." However a creased spine shot or bullet fragment hitting the spine will cause a temporary lights out and then recover again and run. A Primos trigger stick or a support other than your stand would give you better mobility and follow up shots without having to remove your magazine. Are you using the same rifle you used on the last videoed hunt?
DosEquisShooter

zonie

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 09:50:37 AM »
Some shots just make you wonder

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 10:16:03 AM »
I didn't hear any swearing :o
LOL I would have had to have one some editing BigMuddy if it had been me.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 10:40:59 AM »
That was very cool. The crows will tell you where he ended up.
Mark

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 10:57:55 AM »
Nice video and good scope audio. A creased skull shot will cause that reaction, but yours is "definitely not a head shot." However a creased spine shot or bullet fragment hitting the spine will cause a temporary lights out and then recover again and run. A Primos trigger stick or a support other than your stand would give you better mobility and follow up shots without having to remove your magazine. Are you using the same rifle you used on the last videoed hunt?

Same rifle. Savage MSR 10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. I actually had my Bog Pod with me but every time I tried to use it I was, without realizing it, doing the same thing where I would block out the infrared with the stand. Also, while I really like the rifle, the trigger just plain sucks on the thing. Until I get it changed out, I need as much of a braced shot as humanly possible. That’s why the Bog Pod was with me.... a back brace. I really need to just rotate the stand about 45 degrees clockwise and I’m pretty sure it would solve a lot of my problems.

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 02:44:47 AM »
Great video.  We ALL need night vision, especially for hogs.  I shot a medium sized, well under two hundred pounds, boar once at perhaps 100 yards.  Made a perfect shoulder shot with a .308.  He went down momentarily, and then got up and started running towards my blind, not even limping.  I was dumbfounded as to what happened.  I was using a semi-auto, so I did not have to think to reload.  He came to perhaps forty yards of me and turned broadsides to me, and I put another shot in him, also in the shoulder.  That put him down for good.  Upon examination, both shots were good shoulder shots.  He really smelled bad, so I didn't spend much time with him, just quickly cut off his head for the bounty.  I was using Walmarcado Federal 150 gr. hunting loads.  I didn't roll him over to see the exit wounds, he really smelled, but there was very little blood where he laid, so I am thinking they may not have passed through.  They are tough beasts.  But the coyotes COMPLETELY cleaned up the carcass that night.  MM