Spike Camp

Hot barrel??

Hot barrel??
« on: July 18, 2018, 08:34:13 PM »
I have a 30-06 Accugard and granted it’s summer but after just 1-2 shots my barrel is really hot. I’ve never had a fluted barrel but I thought that was supposed to help. I was finally able to get MOA groups when cooling barrel after each shot for 15 mins (see pic)but shooting a group of three in a row is not happening. The groupings scatters to 2 inches at 100 as in the photo. Is this typical of this model?  I’m surprised
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:36:23 PM by Wnctracker »

Re: Hot barrel??
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 08:45:31 PM »
Of course all barrels get hot, but that seems a bit much after one or two shots. I have a Vanguard in 30.06 with a standard #2 contour barrel and two shots in the space of a minute or so doesn't make it very hot. Are you shooting really hot handloads?
Come and take it.

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 09:10:35 PM »
Of course all barrels get hot, but that seems a bit much after one or two shots. I have a Vanguard in 30.06 with a standard #2 contour barrel and two shots in the space of a minute or so doesn't make it very hot. Are you shooting really hot handloads?
Nope. I’ve tried several cartridges and bullet weights. It’s all the same response.

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 09:26:55 PM »
Do you have access to one of these little temp guns they use in automotive shops. Check barrel before and after.

I can"t take a hold of a wrench sitting in the sun these days.
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 05:59:21 AM »
I don't have access to that, but that would certainly work.  I can physically feel the barrel get warm with just one shot.  I took the sun out of the equation yesterday when I shot and setup a canopy to shade the barrel (and Me).  The air temp was 81 deg with a slight breeze so not that much of a scorcher...

Weatherby-SL

• Tony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 07:00:55 AM »
Congrats on your subsequent minute of angle grouping.

With my heavy barrel varmint and benchrest rifles, I have little problem achieving sub-MOA 5 shot groups. But I wouldn't want to hunt with them; they're way too heavy. Weatherby's hunting rifles aren't designed to shoot 3 to 5 rounds at a game animal; they were designed to use one round and be as light as possible for carrying - what most hunters desire. So the thinner the barrel the lighter it is.

Once you have zeroed your Accugard, doing just what you did, letting the barrel cool so each shot is reminiscent of the last, you should be good to go. Oh, and great photos!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 07:04:26 AM by Weatherby-SL »

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 07:33:50 AM »
The general rule of thumb for barrel heat is that the barrel is too hot if you can't grab it full handed and hold for 5sec. If your barrel is getting hotter than that in just a shot or two, something is amiss.

I routinely shoot at a covered bench at an outdoor range, in northern Alabama, in temps ranging from sub freezing (Feb/Mar) to 85-95deg (Jun-Sept around here). Just having the rifles on the bench, in the shade, will allow the barrel to warm, even in only 80deg temps.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

badsection

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 07:39:14 AM »
The Accuguard is a #3 contour barrel, not a lightweight at all, 8lb. rifle. Something is wrong.  Is this a new rifle?

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 08:00:46 AM »
The Accuguard is a #3 contour barrel, not a lightweight at all, 8lb. rifle. Something is wrong.  Is this a new rifle?

I bought it On GunBroker, new to me about 6 months ago and am just getting around to really testing it. 

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 08:02:46 AM »
The general rule of thumb for barrel heat is that the barrel is too hot if you can't grab it full handed and hold for 5sec. If your barrel is getting hotter than that in just a shot or two, something is amiss.

I routinely shoot at a covered bench at an outdoor range, in northern Alabama, in temps ranging from sub freezing (Feb/Mar) to 85-95deg (Jun-Sept around here). Just having the rifles on the bench, in the shade, will allow the barrel to warm, even in only 80deg temps.

Shooting 2-3 shots I can hold the barrel for 5 seconds without feeling like it's burning hot, but the shots are not accurate if i just took 3 without cooling between each and every shot.  That's where I'm confused.  While it is a hunting rifle, I'd certainly like to know that at 200 yards I could ethically take a follow up shot if I needed to and I don't really have that great of confidence that I could.

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 08:14:05 AM »
This just isn't normal. Two shots in a short time frame shouldn't cause any notable issues with heat or accuracy. Have you inspected the bore thoroughly? A rough bore could do such things; increased friction generates increased heat and a rough bore grinds a lot of copper off every bullet too.
Come and take it.

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 08:18:40 AM »
This just isn't normal. Two shots in a short time frame shouldn't cause any notable issues with heat or accuracy. Have you inspected the bore thoroughly? A rough bore could do such things; increased friction generates increased heat and a rough bore grinds a lot of copper off every bullet too.

I'm not the most experienced with guns, however when i look at the bore it's mirror clean and there was no fouling in the bore with a patch.  I have run a bore snake through it at the end of each day's shooting session since I've gotten it.  Im not sure what a "rough" bore means.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 08:27:34 AM »
So there are a couple if things which sort of stand out to me. First, you need to change your cleaning regimen. Search this forum for the terms "BTE regimen" to see what I and many others do. I suspect when you go through that process, you'll find your barrel was dirtier than you thought. After initial cleaning, you should only have to clean every 30-50rds at first, and that should extend after a few cleanings, as well. With my 30-06, I'm to the point I just clean it at least once a year, regardless of number of shots, primarily to get any excess carbon out of the throat.

Now, aside from that, it sounds like you have a bedding issue with this rifle, related to barrel heat. Check the barrel to see if its floating when cold. Then shoot a couple of rounds, and check it again. Use a dollar bill or a strip of copy paper to check it. I suspect there are some small imperfections in the barrel channel which make contact after the barrel heats up, or perhaps even when it's cold. Identify that as the issue, and then pull the action and gently sand the inside of the barrel channel of the stock, just to knock down the high spots. It would be smart to look at the action and stock bedding under the action for shiny spots where it appears the be rubbing, as well, while you have it out. If so, invest in having the rifle glass bedded and floated by a gunsmith. I'm betting this will identify and solve your issue.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 08:32:17 AM »
So there are a couple if things which sort of stand out to me. First, you need to change your cleaning regimen. Search this forum for the terms "BTE regimen" to see what I and many others do. I suspect when you go through that process, you'll find your barrel was dirtier than you thought. After initial cleaning, you should only have to clean every 30-50rds at first, and that should extend after a few cleanings, as well. With my 30-06, I'm to the point I just clean it at least once a year, regardless of number of shots, primarily to get any excess carbon out of the throat.

Now, aside from that, it sounds like you have a bedding issue with this rifle, related to barrel heat. Check the barrel to see if its floating when cold. Then shoot a couple of rounds, and check it again. Use a dollar bill or a strip of copy paper to check it. I suspect there are some small imperfections in the barrel channel which make contact after the barrel heats up, or perhaps even when it's cold. Identify that as the issue, and then pull the action and gently sand the inside of the barrel channel of the stock, just to knock down the high spots. It would be smart to look at the action and stock bedding under the action for shiny spots where it appears the be rubbing, as well, while you have it out. If so, invest in having the rifle glass bedded and floated by a gunsmith. I'm betting this will identify and solve your issue.

Thanks for your reply and advice.  I will look up the cleaning suggestions.  Regarding the bedding, I did the dollar bill test when cold and hot and didn't see any spots of contact but I should do it again for certainty

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 12:53:16 PM »
That is the same here if is to hot I just stay home and wait for a much cooler day.