Spike Camp

Barrel break-in procedure

KetoHunter

Barrel break-in procedure
« on: July 25, 2018, 07:50:22 PM »
I just purchased a Vanguard S2 and curious about the break-in process.  Is there a recommended break-in procedure for the Vanguard S2?  I've not fired it yet and plan so this upcoming Saturday, 07/28/18.  Scope rings and mounts have not arrived yet however I can begin the break-in process. 

*First time ever posting on any forum and I chose W-Nation.*

DW5

• View Profile
Re: Barrel break-in procedure
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 08:45:45 PM »
Yes there is a Weatherby break in procedure. See pic below, it’s a screen shot from www.weatherby.com . I have followed it before and I have also just taken a new WBY to the range and started shooting, cleaning once after about 10 shots, and maybe every 20-40 after that. I’ve never been able to tell any decernable difference. I know others on here have their own routines that work very well for them as well.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 09:07:26 PM by DW5 »
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 09:02:17 PM »
Welcome to the Nation KetoHunter. Clean barrel before you start shooting it this seems to keep to barrel so it don't goul up as quick in my experience with Weatherbys.

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 09:34:39 PM »
Welcome to the Nation KetoHunter. Clean barrel before you start shooting it this seems to keep to barrel so it don't goul up as quick in my experience with Weatherbys.
ghost barrel never herd of a barrel gouling up before
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 01:08:51 AM »
Just broke in a new Lilja barrel (7 mm Weatherby) following my 'smith advice EXACTLY. The idea is to micro-fill the variances from absolute smoothness with copper. I was quite impressed that carbon was far greater a barrel's enemy than coppering it up.

Switched to Tipton jags, new stainless cleaning rods (Shooter's Choice -- look like tipton design to me), range box sloped cradle rather than Tipton gun vice, round patches only, etc.

The process involves -

1. dry patching out carbon from action to crown, once. (I used a nylon brush with a round patch over it.) A good bore guide is a must.

2. push bronze brush once, same direction. Watch the little cloud of carbon that goes with it! At a tilt/in a cradle with good slope, apply Butch's Bore Shine and make eight back-and-forth strokes, then re-soak and do it again, beginning and ending at the crown.

3. screw the brush off, remove the rod and let it sit while you do some other chore, shoot another gun at the range, etc.

4. using a next bore size down nickel-plated jag and a round patch, push the patch through from action to crown once, then dry patch.

You can do this for maybe up to eight shots, cleaning between each, until the last dry patch seems to all of a sudden "get real easy". Oil and put up if done, other wise fire your groups and re-clean, always pushing carbon away first before going home or doing the cleaning at the range.

All I can say is it has worked a treat for me, even when applied to guns I have used for years.

Cheers!

Barry

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 02:01:33 PM »
I lot of us here use Bore Tech Eliminator, and you can't use brass jags because you'll get false readings.  The key with Weatherby rifles is not to let them get too hot.  If you can't hold the barrel without pulling your hand, then it's too hot and you need to let it cool off.   I've done it both ways, and can't really tell the difference.  The information KetoHunter posted is what Weatherby recommends.

https://www.boretech.com/products/eliminator-bore-cleaner
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 06:31:46 AM »
There are plenty of routines for the number of shots fired between cleanings and how much cleaning to do. No matter what break in method used, don’t get the barrel hot to the touch. Letting the barrel cool will help avoid unusual wear on the bore, especially on the leade where the temperature is the highest.

There is no formula for determining how many shot have to be fired of a certain bullet type (all- copper, jacketed copper mix, or a combo of both) in order to smooth the rough spots or fill the holes in the bore to sharpen your accuracy. Your barrel will let you know.

There will be barrels that seem to need no break in. Lately, they more common than you might think. Perhaps I have been lucky in that area.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

KetoHunter

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 06:03:50 AM »
Thank you for all the replies.  The information has been extremely helpful. 

This is my first Weatherby and my first rifle purchase.  I've always used my Father's and Grandfather's rifles and shotguns when hunting or targeting.  I want to make sure this Weatherby lasts several lifetimes. 

I purchased two boxes of the Federal Premium 130 grain Sierra Gameking BTSP (P270D) that Weatherby used for the .270 precision tests.  I'll follow the 2 box break-in procedure; 10 individual rounds shot with cleanings between each round and allow sufficient barrel cooling off time.  Patience is the key here, waiting till the bore is cooled enough where I can keep my hand on barrel till it is warm to touch.  I figured 5-10 minutes per round or more depending on North Carolina's heat and humidity.  Then, the next 30 rounds in groups of 3 with cleaning between each 3-shot group.  I have Hoppe's and Sweet's 7.62 cleaning solvents.  I've learned that the Sweet's can eat through brass brushes very quick so I'm going to give PARA45's advise a shot and try the Boretech bore cleaner. 

Great information provided and a great bunch of guys on this forum.  Once again, my thanks to all.

Good hunting!

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 10:07:33 AM »
Just be aware your accuracy may suffer during those 3 shot groups. After I clean my barrel it sometimes takes up to 6 rounds before accuracy stabilizes.

KetoHunter

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 03:10:05 PM »
Ok, today the first 10 rounds of the Federal Premium 130 grain Sierra Gameking BTSP (P270D) were shot with a thorough cleaning between each round.  Took me an 1 hour and 37 minutes.  I allowed plenty of cool down time between each round plus every 15 minutes the range went cold and I had to wait.  About 2 rounds every 15 minutes. 

I'm posting photos at 50 yards and please keep in mind that I am only breaking in the barrel and not concerned with zeroing the scope at this time.  I'm aiming at dead center with each shot.  Spacing is 1 and 5/16" from center to center at the furthest bullet holes out of 10. The local range was closing at 4:00 PM EDT and i could not complete the next 30 rounds in groups of 3 with cleaning between 3-shot groups.  I complete this next weekend.

Disregard the covered holes, those are from my son's .308 Remington last weekend.  Please critique me thus far.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 04:00:59 PM »
Looks like you have an accurate rifle! I’ll bet that group will tighten up a little bit once you zero the scope and get a few more bullets down range! I am also a believer in what CptnAwesome said about his rifle shooting more accurately with a less than 100% clean barrel.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2018, 08:53:12 PM »
Group looks very good to me core what you were doing! I agree with DW5, I get that's gonna be a sweet shooting rifle

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 07:13:38 AM »
Darn cellphones it should have been foul .

KetoHunter

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2018, 09:46:16 AM »
In following up with this post, I completed the last stage of the break-in with the final 30 rounds in groups of 3.  I thoroughly cleaned after allowing the barrel to cool down between each grouping and this took me a little over 3 hours.  This was on August 11th and temperature started out at 93F and ended at 97F with a real feel of 105F.  It took awhile to cool the barrel down to the touch between intervals.

I made scope adjustments and shot a 5 round group this morning, Sept. 1st.  Range was 100 yards, wind = 0 mph, and temp = 82F.  I am still using the Federal Premium 130 grain Sierra Gamking BTSP (P270D) ammo.  Should I explore other options of ammo?  I feel the grouping is not bad as it is.  I do need to adjust the scope upwards a bit to get a 200 yard zero.  The reverse side of Federal box shows 1.4" at 100 yards using a 200 yard zero.  I believe this means I should adjust scope 1.4" if I am understanding this correctly?

Thanks for all the feedback thus far.  Great information on this forum with a lot of knowledge and great bunch of guys and gals.

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2018, 10:52:28 AM »
It never hurts to strive for perfection but anything you shoot at with this ammo is in for a world of hurt.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.