Spike Camp

New to Weatherby firearms

JRStanley

New to Weatherby firearms
« on: July 26, 2018, 06:52:34 PM »
Just picked up my first weatherby rifle. As far as I can tell it’s a 1964 Mark V. Left handed chambered in 300 WBY magnum. Haven’t shot it yet, but am in love with the way it looks and feels.

Re: New to Weatherby firearms
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 06:56:43 PM »
Congrats, nice rifle. I don’t think they made to many of those back then left handed. Nice find.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

JRStanley

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 07:13:38 PM »
Thanks! It’s a great story how I came to own it. Last year I bought a lefty savage 7mm-08. Nice gun. About a month ago I traded it for a lefty Browning A-bolt medallion 7mm mag. Well, as luck would have it, I found a guy with the weatherby who was a Browning fan. Made a deal with him and here we are. I’m honestly into this weatherby for less than $600. Couldn’t be happier.

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 07:25:10 PM »
You did good
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 08:37:58 PM »
Welcome to the Nation, JR. If I had come across a MK V in that kind of shape for under $600 when all was said and done, I'd take it in a heart beat and learn to shoot left-handed. Congrats on your first Weatherby being a great looking near vintage LH MK V. (Where are you from and what do you hunt)
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 11:15:29 PM »
Sweet looking rifle.You should be a horse trader ;D On top of moving to that beauty you moved up from a 7-08 to a 300 Wby. Life is good.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

JRStanley

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 06:11:10 AM »
Thanks guys. I really did surprise myself making that upgrade. Once I saw it though I had to have it. I live in western PA and mainly hunt whitetail with a Savage .270 or Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. Not 100% sure what I’ll hunt with the Weatherby yet.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 11:34:11 AM by JRStanley »

Weatherby-SL

• Tony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 06:25:22 AM »
Welcome to the Weatherby Nation; excellent acquisition, congrats!

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 07:51:47 AM »
Congratulations on a stellar deal on a beautiful rifle!  As for what you'll hunt with it, my 300Wby seems to do very well hunting white-tails here in northern Alabama.  Ranges have been 25yds on out to over 200yds, and all but one (a poor shot placement by me snap shooting a doe I bumped up from bed) dropped in their tracks.  That doe ran about 75yds, but Ray Charles could have followed the blood trail.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 10:17:49 AM »
That's a fine looking rifle, good luck with it. What part of western PA. do you live in? I'm in western Maryland (Cumberland), only 6 miles away from the Mason Dixon line.
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

JRStanley

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 11:33:01 AM »
I’m around Clarion Pa. About an hour and a half north and a little east of Pittsburgh.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 01:56:48 PM »
WOW, beautiful rifle!  Congrats!!!!
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

JRStanley

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 03:44:19 PM »
This might come as a stupid question, and for that I apologize. Anyway.... I work with a guy who claims that the white diamond on the stock could actually be ivory given the time period. Then told me that they changed from ivory to pearl at one point. For all I know it’s plastic! Haha. Just curious what info you guys could share.

badsection

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 04:08:13 PM »
This might come as a stupid question, and for that I apologize. Anyway.... I work with a guy who claims that the white diamond on the stock could actually be ivory given the time period. Then told me that they changed from ivory to pearl at one point. For all I know it’s plastic! Haha. Just curious what info you guys could share.
[/quote
Having been on this site for a ton of years, I do believe you came up with a totally original question. I have what is probably the 32nd ever made Mark V and never thought to ask. I hope somebody jumps in that knows.  :)

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 05:26:22 PM »
Welcome to Weatherby nation JRStanley. You came out very good. And with what looks to be a Vortex Diamondback. Awesome deal!